Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Why do you drive/own an evo?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2019, 04:29 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by AllAccessedEvolution
lol either you dont own a very nice example of the evo 8/9 or you're strictly speaking for yourself.. My ix only has 25k miles and id feel guilty putting another 5k on it. My plan is to have fun with it till 60k then return it to stock and store it for good. These cars have a history in rally and it is in no way a base lancer even if you stripped it down to its bare chassis...would you say the m3 is just a 325i? or the lancia delta integrale just a lancia delta with wider fenders? or the r34 gtr just a gts at its core? Practically every manufacture bases their performance car on an economy version. The evo is no different and with such low production numbers if everyone used the evo as a beater and didnt feel bad about it they would have been fully extinct within 10 years.
Bless your heart. I've been DD'ing my evo since 2005 and have loved every minute of it( at least 99% of them). Time is the one thing you can't get more of, I love spending mine driving my Evo.

P.S. I started off with "To me" of course I'm speaking for myself. One mans daily is another mans garage queen.

Last edited by Biggiesacks; Oct 4, 2019 at 05:48 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Biggiesacks:
DontStopMe (Oct 5, 2019), EVO196 (Oct 5, 2019), zeRep85RA (Oct 11, 2019)
Old Oct 4, 2019, 05:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,547 Likes on 1,326 Posts
I get not wanting to daily drive your pride and joy car and keeping it as a weekend/pleasure car. But being at 25k miles and being worried about adding another 5k is just silly. It's a car, they're meant to be driven and enjoyed.
The following 3 users liked this post by LetsGetThisDone:
BenMara (Oct 11, 2019), EVO196 (Oct 5, 2019), jayevo23 (Nov 16, 2019)
Old Oct 4, 2019, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by slocho
The unwanted attention is something i am worried about getting a vette. Is it really that much attention (from the law)?

Im somewhere in between having an evo as a daily. I enjoy drivimg it the most when the drive is engaging. My current commute is pretty much 35 miles of a litterally straight highway drive, so i didnt want to rack up "boring" miles.

Anyone trade for an evo X? Or have a X and an 8/9?

I have also considered going that route (MR with SST) Im aware of the issues with the sst so i would buy a fairly low mileage one less than 30k.

Thanks for your replies guys i really appreciate it!
I have an 8 my wife has a X MR. We daily them both. The MR is a good compromise of enjoyment for comfort (IMO), but only if you can be at peace with the fact that a 5 digit repair might drop in your lap. I have done all the routine maintenance myself, and it has been extremely reliable for us. We only ever used the warranty to repair a seat rail. It's at 110k original miles.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I get not wanting to daily drive your pride and joy car and keeping it as a weekend/pleasure car. But being at 25k miles and being worried about adding another 5k is just silly. It's a car, they're meant to be driven and enjoyed.
Im not worried about it but i do feel "guilty" to just keep driving it every time you feel the itch since it is a car id like to preserve later on. I do use it only on some weekends and even sits a year sometimes as im upgrading it so naturally miles take forever to go up. No car will perform the same after racking up so many miles which is why the price depreciates so easily after every 50k. Why did i get an evo? Bottom line is to race. Im sure im not alone in feeling this.

Last edited by RallySport9; Oct 5, 2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 03:44 PM

Im not worried about it but i do feel "guilty" to just keep driving it every time you feel the itch since it is a car id like to preserve later on. I do use it only on some weekends and even sits a year sometimes as im upgrading it so naturally miles take forever to go up. No car will perform the same after racking up so many miles which is why the price depreciates so easily after every 50k. Why did i get an evo? Bottom line is to race. Im sure im not alone in feeling this.
Cars are just machines, if you maintain them well then there isn't any inherent reason that performance has to degrade. I come from a good climate though so the environment not killing the car is kind of baked into my positions. Otherwise anything that effects performance can be maintained/replaced/upgraded. What class are you "racing" your evo in that it remains in completely stock form? If we are talking about not wearing the car down, tracking it is certainly harder on the car then just about anything else you can do with it.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I buddy of mine has owned two Corvettes and he said a Corvette would be the perfect car for me. Why? "Because you work on and can fix cars."

I'll stick with my trouble free Evo.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 135 Likes on 124 Posts
Keep Evo.
Add cruise, get funky and mod a control stalk from like a Pajero or something to keep that OEM look.
Add seat heaters, 40$ for 2 seat set on Amazon.
Toss in a 2din with dual bluetooth and front/rear cams. OBD that thing and have digital gauges.
Why buy a lesser car when you can drag your Evo into the future? Evolute that suckah!
Old Oct 11, 2019, 12:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Im coming from SCed toyota tacoma 4x4 and a Subaru FXT previously. Im in the process of purchasing a Evo X when i return from Kuwait. Its a 2010 MR stock except for Cobb Accessport. Its going to be my DD, ramp assassin grocery getter. Id love to get into a new Subaru Sti, but no new technology in 10+ yrs. And this opportunity for EVO came along.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Cars are just machines, if you maintain them well then there isn't any inherent reason that performance has to degrade.
Recently saw a youtube video (forgot who), where 2 BWM m5 owners dyno'ed their cars...one had 80k or so miles...the other had 300k or so miles...

iirc the 300K mile one dyno'ed just 20whp less.

zeRep
Old Oct 11, 2019, 12:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by zeRep85RA
Recently saw a youtube video (forgot who), where 2 BWM m5 owners dyno'ed their cars...one had 80k or so miles...the other had 300k or so miles...

zeRep
Engines can be refreshed. Not sure what your point is here.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

No car will perform the same after racking up so many miles which is why the price depreciates so easily after every 50k
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Cars are just machines, if you maintain them well then there isn't any inherent reason that performance has to degrade.
Originally Posted by zeRep85RA
zeRep
Old Oct 11, 2019, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Engines can be refreshed. Not sure what your point is here.
The engine wasnt refreshed. The whole point of the video was to show hp loss, if any, due to high mileage.

z
e
R
e
p
Old Oct 11, 2019, 01:07 PM
EvoM Guru

You still don't get what I said.

Engines are r e b u i l d a b l e.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 01:42 PM

I think you guys might just be talking past each other. If im not mistaken zeRep was just saying that even after 300k miles that particular engine only lost ~20hp. What LGTD is saying is even that 20hp isn't "lost" because you can rebuild the engine and get it back.
The following users liked this post:
zeRep85RA (Oct 11, 2019)
Old Oct 11, 2019, 02:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought my 2003 EVO 8 new and I still own it. My EVO has 36,000 original miles and is mostly stock. Over the last 16 years, dings and scratches have made the paint a little rough looking and the interior is starting to show some wear. The EVO runs great, no mechanical issues. I’m thinking maybe a minor engine upgrade, new turbo kit, injectors, exhaust, and tune. New exterior paint and I would like to have the black portion of the Recaro seats re-upholstered and my Rays Gram Lights painted or powder coated. My EVO is my weekend car, it’s fun to drive and I plan on keeping it.
The following 3 users liked this post by BREVO:
6UE5T (Nov 15, 2019), jayevo23 (Nov 16, 2019), slocho (Oct 12, 2019)

Quick Reply: Why do you drive/own an evo?