Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Why do you drive/own an evo?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2019, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts
Thanks for all your input guys!
After reading all of your comments, and several weeks of prior reading about vettes, i have decided not to sell the evo.

I realized that even tho it has its flaws, the evo is a very capable car and provides lots of enjoyment while still being practical.

I just dont think i will get that with a vette. I still want to test drive, or rent one, but for now i think i will enjoy the evo more.

I think since i have it running on e70, i dont want to drive it much because i have to travel 3 hours to stock up on fuel when i run out. If i run it on pump, ill loose a significant amount of whp. To solve that, i hope to upgrade to an fp red or maybe a 71hta as i dont want to build the engine. Then i can have 400whp on pump gas and have the e70 stricly for track days (which arent much)

I do want to fix the cosmetic issues it has along with a few other things. Im still not ready to move on from the evo so i will give it some needed attention.

I drive my evo because its an all season car, seats 5, and privides huge thrills at a bargain price.

Maybe one day ill have a vette, maybe not, but for now ill enjoy the heck out of the evo.
The following 3 users liked this post by slocho:
EVO196 (Oct 17, 2019), JDZNate (Oct 12, 2019), OX (Oct 13, 2019)
Old Oct 12, 2019, 03:12 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 814 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by AllAccessedEvolution
lol either you dont own a very nice example of the evo 8/9 or you're strictly speaking for yourself.. My ix only has 25k miles and id feel guilty putting another 5k on it. My plan is to have fun with it till 60k then return it to stock and store it for good. These cars have a history in rally and it is in no way a base lancer even if you stripped it down to its bare chassis...would you say the m3 is just a 325i? or the lancia delta integrale just a lancia delta with wider fenders? or the r34 gtr just a gts at its core? Practically every manufacture bases their performance car on an economy version. The evo is no different and with such low production numbers if everyone used the evo as a beater and didnt feel bad about it they would have been fully extinct within 10 years.
If you want to moth ball your Evo and make a solid $5-8k off it, when the time comes to sell 'er, I say go for it. Not sure how much "racing" you can go with a collector car, though.

OP: My personal reasons for owning the car:
I bought one, years ago, sold it... regretted it... found this one about a year later and jumped on it. I over paid at $17,500 for my '06 MR with a bad clutch and 115k miles, but didn't care because it was the exact model/color I wanted to. I've been enjoying ever since.
I like them so much because they are the most fun I've ever had in a car. They do everything I want a car to do and do it well. It's analog enough to immerse myself in the driving experience of a manual trans car with no nannies. It's fast enough to keep up with mostly anything around me if I want to keep up with my friends. It looks really good, though I admit it's starting to look a bit dated, especially from the rear. It's fast as **** around road and autox courses. It can take off from a stand still like a bat at of hell, which is nice because I'm not much for racing around town at 100mph; but it sure gets to 60 quick. Parts are *reasonably* cheap. People are still making awesome parts for them to make them even better. That's surprising, considering the last ct9a rolled out about 13yrs ago. These cars are easy to tune. I'm running flex fuel on the stock ECU. That's dope.
Oh, and when I bought my first one, I had a booster seat in the back. Four doors, fast, agile, athletic, capable. Hard to beat all that.

Cliffnotes: The CT9A chassis does exactly everything I want my toy/race/play/fun car to do, so I still have it, after all these years. I'll probably beat on it until it gives up on me. If I sold it, I can't think of anything else I'd want to replace it with.

The downside is, it's build quality. The car is built *just* well enough to hold together. The materials aren't that great, especially the interior. But, nobody buys an Evo for it's luxury The car eventually rattles, squeaks, and sounds like a bag of tin cans... but that's okay because we sure are going fast!

The Corvette is a much, much, much different animal. Though I've thought about running a C5z or C6z, I ultimately came to the conclusion that the Evo is a better car (for me), though the 'Vette is going to be one of the most fun RWD experiences you will have.
The following users liked this post:
EVO196 (Oct 17, 2019)
Old Oct 16, 2019, 11:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bought an IX because I had two sons at the time. Needed to sell wife on a "family" sedan, lol. Bought it from a buddy with right under 500hp on it and sold it with a tad over 600. Thing was a blast, but when things failed it was costly and took my "daily" out of commission. Haha. Ended up selling it, went into luxury sedans for a little, and back in an Evo again. About to sell this one also and get a more luxury sedan with some hp. I am in Germany currently and it's just a pain to get it serviced or anything because no dealership around me has even seen an Evo and it's like a unicorn when I pull into the dealer, haha....
Old Oct 17, 2019, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The steering. When I test drove the Evo back to back with a 350 Z and an S2000 at the time, the quick steering and turbo sold me. The easy modding, raw driving feel and practicality have kept me in the car for the last 16 years.
The following users liked this post:
EVO196 (Oct 17, 2019)
Old Oct 25, 2019, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Has literally been my dream car since 2003 when it first came to the states. Was just never able to afford one at the time and had my DSM/GSX Instead. Wish I could have been a first owner, but oh well.

Love everything about the car from how it drives, to how it looks.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
Bought an Evo IX just a few months back coz it's my dream car and it retains value or even appreciating, at least where I live now in Malaysia as it's getting rare. Why it's my dream car? Coz it's the best bang for the buck that can embarrass much more expensive cars, has 4 doors for practicality, and it looks good. The 4G63T is probably the best 4 cylinder JDM ever built, very robust and ready for big power and still relatively simple traditional engine to maintain. The steering and handling is sharp and precise, just so much fun to drive. The legendary JDM status is the icing on the cake. The only downside is the bad fuel consumption but I guess you cannot have it all isn't it?
Old Nov 15, 2019, 09:04 AM

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
MPG is kind of relative, my mustang averaged 8 mpg w/ gasoline @ 520WHP and I can get average 18 out of my evo with E85 @ ~450WHP.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 11:07 AM
kaj

Received 814 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by 6UE5T
. The only downside is the bad fuel consumption but I guess you cannot have it all isn't it?
For a 4-cyl, it's definitely not great
Old Nov 16, 2019, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Though I don’t really drive it at all, still the best car I’ve ever owned. Was my dream car years ago, bought it in 04 and it was my my only car for 4-5 years of year round commuting. So saw 140k+ miles. Hands down the favorite most capable car I ever owned, and likely ever will.

So I properly fixed any and all rust underneath, did some cosmetics, and now it just sits, while I save to put a built bottom end in it.

Thought about selling it but just not worth selling to me, you never get out what you put in that’s a given, but sentimentally it’s nearly priceless to me. That said I don’t know what I’d do with a large sum of cash in my face.

For now it sits while I take care of some more important stuff going on right now.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i daily my evo x. its not great on gas, but its all about them smiles per gallons