Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

S209 STI $64k for a Subi...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2019, 01:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by AllAccessedEvolution
yea the difference is Mitsubishi is a much more modest company, compared to subaru who markets like crazy and has to put an sti badge on every square inch of their cars. Honestly I don't know who ever started the trend of comparing subarus and evos, they are worlds apart. Not trying to say any one is better than the other its just I can think of many other cars to compare the evo with before a subaru.
Lol what? They're literally direct competition. Turbo 4cyl, AWD, compact/mid size sedan. They were built for homologation/development for the same WRC class.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 01:39 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
yea the difference is Mitsubishi is a much more modest company, compared to subaru who markets like crazy and has to put an sti badge on every square inch of their cars. Honestly I don't know who ever started the trend of comparing subarus and evos, they are worlds apart. Not trying to say any one is better than the other its just I can think of many other cars to compare the evo with before a subaru.
They are the same cars, done differently. Towards the end, they even looked alike.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 01:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Honestly I don't know who ever started the trend of comparing subarus and evos, they are worlds apart. Not trying to say any one is better than the other its just I can think of many other cars to compare the evo with before a subaru.
What are you smoking? They are the Japanese equivalent of Camaro vs Mustang.

Both are:

Four door sedans based from the economy version
Turbocharged 4cyl
AWD

Born from rally racing

They are literally the two closest cars in the market and have shared motorsport history.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 02:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
I will 4th the WTF are you smoking
Old Nov 14, 2019, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 294 Likes on 235 Posts
I will be the 5th. Whatever you are smoking, pass it this way....
Old Nov 14, 2019, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts
jeez who did i offend lol..history gets things wrong sometimes and i think this is one of them. Just one mans opinion but here's my thinking:

There are plenty of Japanese 4 cyl turbo cars out there. The fact that they are sedans isnt enough to compare them, their engine/drivetrain layout is nothing alike the subaru has a boxer engine and doesn't even have a tcase and If they look the same than someone should have told me because then i wouldn't haven spent countless hours looking for an evo. A car i think is more worthy of comparing would be say the lancia delta integrale evo to the lancer evo since it is a turbocharged in line 4 with similar specs also made for homologation and has more in common when comparing it with its street version in performance and aesthetic upgrades.

example: The delta evo and lancer evo have wider rear quarters making them look nothing like their younger brothers, where the subaru wrx/sti has no appearance difference at all. You're basically getting the basic same impreza wrx with every trim, there is no "upgraded" chassis)
Old Nov 14, 2019, 05:40 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Subaru's upgrades, or lack thereof, from WRX to STi have nothing to do with comparing it to an Evo. The STI and Evo are direct competitors.

Last edited by kaj; Nov 14, 2019 at 05:50 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 06:01 PM
EvoM Guru

history gets things wrong sometimes and i think this is one of them.
You are def on the wrong side of history. Proven.

If you disagree you are literally dismissing all of the history between the impreza wrx/sti and the lancer evo. It's all been documented. You are the one in the cave.

The fact that they are sedans isnt enough to compare them, their engine/drivetrain layout is nothing alike
Again....

Both are:

Chassis: Four door sedans based from the economy version
Engine: Turbocharged 4cyl
Drivetrain: AWD

Are you blind or two years old?

the subaru wrx/sti has no appearance difference at all.
You have to currently be very young and living without internet to make this statement. I'm just going to dismiss anything you have to say from now on to ignorance or you are just trolling.

Just look on youtube alone. SOOOO many videos comparing the two and literally verbalizing they are rivals.

This guy HAS to be trolling.

Last edited by razorlab; Nov 14, 2019 at 06:10 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 06:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
jeez who did i offend lol..history gets things wrong sometimes and i think this is one of them. Just one mans opinion but here's my thinking:

There are plenty of Japanese 4 cyl turbo cars out there. The fact that they are sedans isnt enough to compare them, their engine/drivetrain layout is nothing alike the subaru has a boxer engine and doesn't even have a tcase and If they look the same than someone should have told me because then i wouldn't haven spent countless hours looking for an evo. A car i think is more worthy of comparing would be say the lancia delta integrale evo to the lancer evo since it is a turbocharged in line 4 with similar specs also made for homologation and has more in common when comparing it with its street version in performance and aesthetic upgrades.

example: The delta evo and lancer evo have wider rear quarters making them look nothing like their younger brothers, where the subaru wrx/sti has no appearance difference at all. You're basically getting the basic same impreza wrx with every trim, there is no "upgraded" chassis)
No one is offended, you're just wrong.

The WRX/STI didn't share body panels until a few years into the Hawkeye chassis. Like 2011 or 2012 I think.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
2004 in North America. The blobeye years. The STI was unique in 2008 to 2011 or 2012, whenever Subaru went back to hatches.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
for $65K I got myself Evo12.

Old Nov 26, 2019, 03:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by letMeIn
for $65K I got myself Evo12.
I was looking at the same thing but once I dug in deeper about the QC on those, I, unfortunately, couldn't ignore it and passed. It's too bad because they are beautiful and drive wonderfully.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
You know it's bad when reviewers love the car, but still tell you not to buy it.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
lol, yeh few of them may, most of them don't.

Its a special car that is worth owning regardless.

Originally Posted by ambystom01
You know it's bad when reviewers love the car, but still tell you not to buy it.

Last edited by letMeIn; Nov 26, 2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
Same here. I was all over that car recently. Seriously thinking about a move on a barely used one for $45k, but after reading about all the problems that seem to be WIDESPREAD I dismissed the plan and deleted the PowerPoint I made for the wife (just kidding on that last part)....