Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Subaru STi price announced.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2003, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subaru STi price announced.

The good news:
The EVO is available in the US.

The bad news:
All of a sudden it seems OVERPRICED.

The good news:
More AWD turbo choices.

The bad news:
STi will dominate sales.

The good news:
EVO prices and demand will drop sharply.
There could be used EVO's on the market real soon.

The bad news:
Those who paid WAY too much to have their car a few weeks sooner.

Here's a link. Enjoy.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...postid=3726269

$31k for the STi !?

GR-VIII
Old Apr 17, 2003, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

it's interesting news ... (btw thanks for posting in the right forum)

I know everyone will say Subaru won't sell over msrp and stuff like they have an extensive price protection program or something ... but I think there exists a possibility that mark-ups will happen on the sti like on the evo.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

that is excellent news. I know I prefer the Evo, but I am glad Subaru is charging reasonalbe prices for hte STi. It looked like there was going to be an upward spiral of Japanese sports cars again like the early 90s, which of course resulted in zero left in the US. Should be fun times at the auto-x track this summer!
Old Apr 17, 2003, 05:08 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

Nice numbers from Subaru. The Sti will be a performance value.

Now if they will just deliver the cars and give the STi guys something else to do besides bashing EVOs.

I was on a short list for an STi but did't want to wait the additional 2 months to get the car.

I got the EVO and have no regrets about my decision no matter what the STi brings to the table.

Things I know I like better about the EVO:
1. Recaro Seats
2. Exterior Styling
3. More truck space.
4. More interior space.
5. Factory radio and speakers come as standard equipment.

Ultimate handling and performance are still wildcards, but I am confident that I made the right selection based on my personal needs and desires.

Good luck to all the future STi owners and I hope you will be as happy with your selection as I am with mine.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 05:20 PM

For hard-core enthusiasts like myself, both cars will end up costing about the same. If I buy an Evo, I will get all the performance extras but none of the non-performance extras. The STi gets all performance-related items as standard.

EVO:
MSRP + Dest = 29,582
Brake Cooling = 149
Front Brace = 422
Rear Brace = 385
Rear Wing = 480
Air Dam = 231
Total Price = 31,249

STI:
MSRP + Dest = 31,545
Old Apr 17, 2003, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

The good news:
I'll stil be spankin'em all day long.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by stvbreal
The good news:
I'll stil be spankin'em all day long.
umm...yeah...sure...you'll never run into any modded sti's cause you know that subie owners don't know how to add any performance/handling mods or drive worth a damn.

talk about typical ricer response.

DaMn DizAWg, I Be'Z RoAStIn AlL DeM STi'Z CuZ I GoTz Me MaD TiTE MoDZ. EvO bE MaD TiZitE YO!

Last edited by ScoobyDoobieSTi; Apr 17, 2003 at 06:12 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

It is still $1500 more than the Evo. The Evo is still the better handler, has better steering response, better seats, roomier, etc.
Will the Sti be quicker?? Who knows. I doubt they'll be much quicker than the 13.1-13.5's the Evo's are running stock. Seems like a pretty close comparison. In my opinion it comes down to things such as appearance, room, etc.
Also, the Evo already has a huge aftermarket and will probably respond better to mods. I'd rather do a few simple mods to increase hp than do suspension work to try and make a better handling car.
I doubt it will hurt the Evo sales. Why would it? Do you REALLY get more car for the money even though it's 1500 more?? I don't think you do, imo. Big deal you get dccd and a 6-speed for the 1500. You also don't get a radio Some will say getting no radio is a plus...I'd disagree..the stock Evo stereo/cd player is fine with me....SO there goes $500+ more dollars you have to spend to even get a stereo in the Sti
Old Apr 17, 2003, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by broeli
It is still $1500 more than the Evo. The Evo is still the better handler, has better steering response, better seats, roomier, etc.
Will the Sti be quicker?? Who knows. I doubt they'll be much quicker than the 13.1-13.5's the Evo's are running stock. Seems like a pretty close comparison. In my opinion it comes down to things such as appearance, room, etc.
Also, the Evo already has a huge aftermarket and will probably respond better to mods. I'd rather do a few simple mods to increase hp than do suspension work to try and make a better handling car.
I doubt it will hurt the Evo sales. Why would it? Do you REALLY get more car for the money even though it's 1500 more?? I don't think you do, imo. Big deal you get dccd and a 6-speed for the 1500. You also don't get a radio Some will say getting no radio is a plus...I'd disagree..the stock Evo stereo/cd player is fine with me....SO there goes $500+ more dollars you have to spend to even get a stereo in the Sti
Why is it that whenever I see you post any thing related to the STi, you get so defensive about the evo??

I'm sorry but the sti will be just as easy to mod as the evo. I'm sure with a simple ecu remap, the sti will run low-mid 12's in the 1/4. (look at wrx turboxs stage 4's...not only will the sti have more displacement, it benefits from avcs, better meats, lsd front, better tranny, etc... than the wrx). Handling wise, eh...it's always been a debate everywhere in the world. But those were comparo's of evo's with lsd front, ayc, acd, etc... I don't see how the USDM evo will surpass the USDM sti...

For Chr-st sake, the USDM STi hasn't even been released here and people are automatically assuming that the USDM evo will handle better...how is that a reasonable judgement? What can physically support that? No reviews have been released by press since they have to stay mum due to the press embargo until May 1st. The only thing I can see is the blurb from Vishnu tuning, but they're into $$$$$ and want to stay on the good side of both parties so they'll pull whatever b.s. out of their $$$$$ hungry ****.

Last edited by ScoobyDoobieSTi; Apr 17, 2003 at 06:27 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

Big deal you get dccd and a 6-speed for the 1500. You also don't get a radio Some will say getting no radio is a plus...I'd disagree..the stock Evo stereo/cd player is fine with me....SO there goes $500+ more dollars you have to spend to even get a stereo in the Sti
Wow, you'd rather have some cheap paper cone speakers having factory radio then a 6spd gear box, DCCD and a front LSD?????? More power to ya man, glad you're happy.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 06:19 PM

chill out bro. we dont kno any of those things yet.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ScoobyDoobieSTi

umm...yeah...sure...you'll never run into any modded sti's cause you know that subie owners don't know how to add any performance/handling mods or drive worth a damn.

talk about typical ricer response.

DaMn DizAWg, I Be'Z RoAStIn AlL DeM STi'Z CuZ I GoTz Me MaD TiTE MoDZ. EvO bE MaD TiZitE YO!

They better have money to burn. No ShIzNiT

Truth hurts cousin.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by theaphextwin84
it's interesting news ... (btw thanks for posting in the right forum)

I know everyone will say Subaru won't sell over msrp and stuff like they have an extensive price protection program or something ... but I think there exists a possibility that mark-ups will happen on the sti like on the evo.
I am sure that there will be markups at some dealers - but I know for sure that at least one dealer (mentioned in that thread) is selling them for MSRP. I can only hope this causes the Evo Price gouging in my area to stop....

You also don't get a radio Some will say getting no radio is a plus...I'd disagree..the stock Evo stereo/cd player is fine with me....SO there goes $500+ more dollars you have to spend to even get a stereo in the Sti
Don't know about you - but with the exception of my SVT Focus (because I only plan on keeping it 1 year) I have replaced the stock head unit and speakers with aftermarket stuff in every car I have owned. I wish ALL cars had the option of no stereo since it ends up getting replaced, it is wasted money to buy one in the car.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by stvbreal

They better have money to burn. No ShIzNiT

Truth hurts cousin.

So CuZ out of pure curiosity, what are your plans for your evo?

Last edited by ScoobyDoobieSTi; Apr 17, 2003 at 06:34 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

For Chr-st sake, the USDM STi hasn't even been released here and people are automatically assuming that the USDM evo will handle better...how is that a reasonable judgement
I guess you haven't read what Shiv said or what some other writers said when they tested them both. Remember, the Sti has been driven by magazines, etc. So far the write-ups I've seen said they preferred the handling and steering response of the Evo. That's why I said that.
Don't get me wrong I really like the Sti...and don't mean to sound like I'm bashing it. I just prefer what the Evo has to offer at 1500 less. I also like the styling of the Evo better....

Quick Reply: Subaru STi price announced.