Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Anyone notice "Evo owners" today...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2020, 04:11 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Isaaac™
Been a DSMer for 10+ years and learned a lot. Dabbled in other platforms for a little bit but finally picked up an Evo 8 and I'm hoping to be a part of this community for several years. Almost feels natural going from DSMs to Evos lol
Easy peasy. You just gotta get used to the timing belt being on the other side
Old Oct 17, 2020, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Original owner of 2010 X. I only added few bolts on's over the years. Needs paint, hood looks like someone with a bad case of sunburn, but its still my favorite car.

Always lurked here for research and recommendations. Kind of bummed to see mostly scoobies on the road near me in NJ, but that's how it goes. Always get a friendly wave or nod from a fellow evo on the road. Don't see too many irresponsible evo drivers these days. I want to say those that did stupid stuff on the road in the past realize parts are getting scarce. I'm trying to keep mine alive till its mostly rust and duct tape.

Any recommendations for paint shops in NJ would be appreciated.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 07:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Definitely a lot of ****ed up evo 8’s for sale. The 9’s are a bit nicer.
The following users liked this post:
kaj (Jan 13, 2021)
Old Jan 14, 2021, 05:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Maybe I’m picky but it seems like the majority of cars for sale, both 8 and 9 are FUBAR. The listing will claim “ minor bolt ons” but in reality have a horribly built motor, unknown or crappy aftermarket parts, questionable history, and the obligatory exterior appearance mod which looks ugly to everyone except the owner.

I see maybe one legit clean Evo for every 7 or 8 for sale listings.
The following users liked this post:
Joshm3357 (Jan 15, 2021)
Old Jan 14, 2021, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by letMeIn
still have mine, and Im original owner. On jackstands, but aint going anywhere
Same here. Bought my IX in 2006 and it's sitting on jackstands in the garage waiting on my built long block.

I hardly see Evos on the streets anymore. Even before mine decided to change it's timing belt last year I hardly saw them. I get stoopid excited whe I do, especially when it's a CT9A (I see Xs more but still get giddy). At least the few I do see don't look retarded.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 05:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
To elaborate, most owners (whether on this forum or not) tend to have an idea of “acceptable” mods for these cars. When we sell to another Evo owner, it may not be a problem at all because they expected these upgrades or would have done it themselves anyways. Money saved is a good thing, right?

But if I was new to Evo’s, or simply wanted a clean car, some of these changes would put me off. For example, the Evo Dave fender mod (or whatever you call it), where you stick out the front fender a few mm to fit a wider tire. I do performance driving with my Evo, so it’s fine to me. But for an average buyer, it looks like complete garbage and that your car got in an accident. Speaking of safety, I have seen many people remove the front crash beam for an extra large intercooler or the rear beam for the JDM bumper cover. These cars are tin cans and cannot take hits from the front, side, rear, or anywhere for that matter. Even the most common downpipe/exhaust upgrade, sometimes they are catless and the new owner may live in a state with strict emissions / enforcement. Just a few examples off the top of my head on why finding a bone stock or even a relatively clean Evo is so difficult. If I had another Evo that was 100% bone stock, it would be very very hard for me to keep it that way, guilty as charged