Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Corvette on topgear review and Evo beats em in track time

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2004, 11:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh I see - here: http://gear.viper007bond.com/

Thanks though!

Last edited by fborg; Aug 9, 2004 at 12:01 AM.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 01:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fborg
That link doesn't work!
sorry fixed.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 06:10 AM
JTB
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by erikgj
They trade out the leaf springs not because the coil springs are inherently better. They are easier to swap when tuning the vette for the track. The Top Gear team did make fools of themselves complaining about the leaf springs on that episode.

Leafs can be used in dumb ways but their not used poorly on the vette. They have unequal length A-arms all the way around built out of forged aluminum. The leafs are composite also. It is like saying that the Evo uses ancient tech steel coil springs, ignoring their application entirely. Being on TV does no make it true.

I never miss Top Gear. Below is a list of Top Gear and Ffth Gear for download. Bit torrent is required.

http://gear.viper007bond.com/
I wouldn’t say they made fools of themselves about the leaf springs but they definitely beat the issue to death. The unfortunate thing is they are just relaying the perceptions of the European public.
I am also not denying the functionality of the Corvette’s design, but why evolve it to this extent and not switch to coilovers, especially considering they were contemplating releasing the car in Europe. I can only assume that they are accountant friendly and appeal to the Vette’s home market – either way you are going to have a very hard time convincing me they are better.

If the Corvette is ever going to gain acceptance in the UK or Europe, they need to get rid of the leaf springs.

BTW – It is also much easier to adjust ride height and corner weight a car with coilovers.

Being on TV does not make it true? The next thing you are going to tell me is that everything written on the web isn’t true either.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah...
Old Aug 9, 2004, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JTB
I wouldn’t say they made fools of themselves about the leaf springs but they definitely beat the issue to death. The unfortunate thing is they are just relaying the perceptions of the European public.
I am also not denying the functionality of the Corvette’s design, but why evolve it to this extent and not switch to coilovers, especially considering they were contemplating releasing the car in Europe. I can only assume that they are accountant friendly and appeal to the Vette’s home market – either way you are going to have a very hard time convincing me they are better.

If the Corvette is ever going to gain acceptance in the UK or Europe, they need to get rid of the leaf springs.

BTW – It is also much easier to adjust ride height and corner weight a car with coilovers.

Being on TV does not make it true? The next thing you are going to tell me is that everything written on the web isn’t true either.
Hey I don't believe everything I write. But watching top gear I would expect to see a solid axel in back with two built-up steel leafs springs and shackles but that is not the case at all.

The design has plusses and minuses also. It is just like the font struts on the Evo I would rather have the unequal A-arms like the vette. They are a better design much more adjustment possiblities for the track.

They only sell 100 vettes a year in the UK it is not a big market.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 09:27 AM
JTB
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by erikgj
Hey I don't believe everything I write. But watching top gear I would expect to see a solid axel in back with two built-up steel leafs springs and shackles but that is not the case at all.

The design has plusses and minuses also. It is just like the font struts on the Evo I would rather have the unequal A-arms like the vette. They are a better design much more adjustment possiblities for the track.

They only sell 100 vettes a year in the UK it is not a big market.
That is exactly what I picture when someone says leaf springs to me too.
The Evo's suspension is not great for the track. The inverted Macpherson Strut design is however very strong and it allows for good suspension travel -- as if it evolved from a rally car.

I also understand that the C6 design was influenced by thoughts of the European market. I am guessing that GM is anticipating trying to sell more that 100 cars in the next year.
I believe that the Top Gear video actually referenced this. – I know, I am believing something I heard on TV
Old Aug 9, 2004, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

The new C6 corvette has 75% of the track performance that the C5 Z06 has. This number comes directly from the horses mouth (David Hill chief engineer) For the uneducated on this forum remember this:
C5 or C6 base Corvette = midlife crisis car
C5 or C6 Z06 = enthusiasts car
Why the big performance difference between the C5 or C6 base Corvette and the Z06?...in a nut shell the run flat tires require a change in chassis tuning. Although the C6 offers a big increase in run flat performance over the C5 it still cant compare to the conventional tires the Z06's run. I am a hard core Mitsubishi fan but I also look at the numbers. Bang for the buck used Z06's have incredible performance. Why limit ourselves to a 2.0L motor on the street when we don't have to?
Old Aug 9, 2004, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

The thing to remember is that Top Gear is a tv show meant to entertain...and it is tops at that, and they have certain bias, which I happen to like. I had a z06 for a while and it is a sweet car aside from the interior issues... I will probably be getting another one given the silly deals you can get them for now...the reason I sold my other one was to avoid the inevitable collapse in values when chevy discounted the hell out of the c5's.

To me an Evo is a perfect daily driver to complement a z06 weekender. Even though the Z isn't bad as a daily driver it sure has hell is inconvenient. I would also bet that somebody familiar with a Z, even the STIG with a few practice laps, would best the FQ.

Two different cars, two different flavors for sure. Perhaps the best part of this is watching the reaction from some of the corvette forums, some of these people have way too much of thier lives invested in a car.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

i seen that vid a few weeks ago and laughed my ****in *** off...

if i wouldn't have been banned from ClubSi a little while back i would have started a huge uproar with that thing...

they still think i'm retarded for saying that the C5 vette had nothing on the Evo... hahahahaha... well, it's obvious the C6 still has nothing on the Evo FQ...

man i wish i could post over there...
Old Sep 12, 2004, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ariofighter
I dont mean to ask a question, that has nothing to do with this topic, but the topic is kinda C6 related so here it goes. Can someone post any info they have on the C6 Z06...or whatever it will be called?

Do a Google search for "Corvette" and "Blue Devil"

You'll like the results.....

Oh, and after watching this video.... Now I know why a 'Vette owner was one of the first people to ***** about the clear lights that came on my car. He had probably seen nothing but Evo tail lights at the road track and they stuck in his head...

Last edited by 90GSX-03EVO; Sep 12, 2004 at 06:12 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Diesel
well, it's obvious the C6 still has nothing on the Evo FQ...

"Now that is a seriously fast car, you can't deny that. It's nearly as fast as an Evo."

I'm sure that is sitting well with the 'Vette owners.

Last edited by 90GSX-03EVO; Sep 12, 2004 at 03:20 PM.