Notices

Technique For brisk take off from lights w/o LC

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2009, 11:01 PM
mdc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Technique For brisk take off from lights w/o LC

It has been discussed that the SST is EXTREMELY laggy from a standing start. However fast/hard you press the throttle or whatever mode you are in, you have to wait for about a second before the power really kicks in.

I would like to learn about the different techniques people might have developed for those times when you want to take off quickly (but not a race/drag situation so the use of Launch Control is out of question)

When I searched about this the only viable solution seemed to be the Blitz Throttle Controller but the use of a TC device for this seemed absurd.

Possible answers may be some ECU/TCU tuning to remedy this maybe via throttle maps, some pedal techniques or something else.

I believe this is a problem on an otherwise wonderful transmission and this thread will help many new owners get more enjoyment from their car.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

"blipping the throttle" before takeoff seems to work for me
Old Sep 23, 2009, 01:41 PM

Get the FQ330 software that removes the torque limit on 1st gear!! Or other SW

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/...30-GSR/240293/

'However with this new FQ330 SST variant, I think that they have cracked it. From the name it obviously has more power, but now is more of a complete package. The power has been increased by the addition of a high performance exhaust and downpipe, an intercooling piping kit, racing suction pipe and an upgraded catalytic converter. In addition to this they have removed the limiter from first gear, and the car feels so eager and responsive. From a standstill the X will reach 62mph in a supercar rivalling 4.4 seconds. The acceleration is fierce, but with the gears swapping themselves, you have more time for keeping your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road.'

'In addition to this they have removed the limiter from first gear, and the car feels so eager and responsive. From a standstill the X will reach 62mph in a supercar rivalling 4.4 seconds. The acceleration is fierce, but with the gears swapping themselves, you have more time for keeping your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road.'
Old Sep 23, 2009, 01:56 PM

Ok so removing the torque limiter on first gear says to me someone dug into that infamous TCU for us. Now the question is how do us common folk do it?
Old Sep 23, 2009, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

+1 on this.

I'm guessing you can't just go to the dealership and ask for the FQ 330 software. So any ideas on how it could be made to work?
Old Sep 23, 2009, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would assume getrag made the TCU update.. as they were the ones who made orginally, once again i only assume.. unless some one give getrag a call and asks... it will be done one day...guess we just have to wait....boo
Old Sep 24, 2009, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

there should to be a way to utilize this software with a cobb ap imo.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

That would be nice ;\
Old Sep 24, 2009, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

we need to do some reaserch guys, the fail lc combined with the fact that a rolling start in the mr is total fail depends on it.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

What failed launch control? Seems to work just fine for me. The slow start is probably due to the fact it's a DBW system and its sampling throttle position. So when you sample is 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 30, etc. (i.e. from a complete stop/foot off gas to foot on gas), its going to smooth it out and the throttle will be less than 30.

To get off the line a little quicker, "pre-load" the car a tiny bit. With your foot on the brake, hit the accel pedal a tiny bit to bring your RPM's up around 1K...or for a bit quicker take off, 1.5K or 2K or whatever.

verkion
Old Oct 6, 2009, 08:35 AM

I second the "blipping the throttle" post. I do this as a habit from my previous manual car and the SST seems to respond better. Just stomping the pedal feels like you're waking the transmission from a nap. Better to give it a quick prod first to make sure it's awake. I don't watch the tach when I do this, but I'd say I do a quick snap to 1K or so, then let it out before accelerating normally.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:27 PM

This topic was covered here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/7566111-post33.html

Make what you will of it.