Notices

Which driving mode causes least wear on TC-SST?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2010, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
actully yes even throttle positition is diffrent ,
presure in the clutch ingaugment...
its just diffrent
your buttdyno needs a fix lol
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lousEVOxmr
actully yes even throttle positition is diffrent ,
presure in the clutch ingaugment...
its just diffrent
your buttdyno needs a fix lol
What are your references for this information? Or is it just your placebo'd buttdyno?

Seriously though, I want to see something definitive. Not just some dude saying "I can feel it". I'm looking for factual information as to what the real difference is between the 3 modes in manual mode.

When reading any documentation from Mitsubishi, including all the TSB's for the SST, they always explain what the differences are between modes in automatic mode. But nowhere do they ever explain the differences between them in manual mode. And everyone here knows that the way the transmission shifts in normal auto mode, vs normal manual mode, are two completely different worlds. In manual mode, normal brings about a harder, quicker shift than the smoothness of the shifts in auto-normal. But then, I feel no harder shift shocks in sport-normal.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:20 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Webman
What are your references for this information? Or is it just your placebo'd buttdyno?

Seriously though, I want to see something definitive. Not just some dude saying "I can feel it". I'm looking for factual information as to what the real difference is between the 3 modes in manual mode.

When reading any documentation from Mitsubishi, including all the TSB's for the SST, they always explain what the differences are between modes in automatic mode. But nowhere do they ever explain the differences between them in manual mode. And everyone here knows that the way the transmission shifts in normal auto mode, vs normal manual mode, are two completely different worlds. In manual mode, normal brings about a harder, quicker shift than the smoothness of the shifts in auto-normal. But then, I feel no harder shift shocks in sport-normal.

What I noticed on my MR

D normal it shifts to 6th by the time you hit 40-45 slow revs too thats one program i managed 260-300 miles per tank in this mode.

next program sport d- holds shifts higher to 7k, keeps each gear longer till higher rpm, at 40-45 im in 3rd now ready for a wot. i usualy range 130-150 miles per tank.

final program d ssport- only tried it once, didnt like it because it kept the revs in the red full time. great ptob for autocross.

paddle shifting normal, sport, ssport all feels the same to me, i think???
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MR. EVO MR
What I noticed on my MR

D normal it shifts to 6th by the time you hit 40-45 slow revs too thats one program i managed 260-300 miles per tank in this mode.

next program sport d- holds shifts higher to 7k, keeps each gear longer till higher rpm, at 40-45 im in 3rd now ready for a wot. i usualy range 130-150 miles per tank.

final program d ssport- only tried it once, didnt like it because it kept the revs in the red full time. great ptob for autocross.

That's what I'm saying. Manual all feels the same, but you can definitely feel the difference between the 3, in automatic mode.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

I've submitted an official request to Mitsubishi for an answer about it. They are supposed to get back to me by the end of the day.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by MR. EVO MR
What I noticed on my MR

I'm sorry but HOW THE **** ARE YOU GETTING 260-300 ON ONE TANK?
I've been shifting at 2.5k every time, and I'm only getting 160. FML
Old Sep 22, 2010, 06:13 AM
Evolving Member

even my fuel encono changes when im on the high way in s sport or normal ..
Old Sep 22, 2010, 02:51 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by phraust
I'm sorry but HOW THE **** ARE YOU GETTING 260-300 ON ONE TANK?
I've been shifting at 2.5k every time, and I'm only getting 160. FML

how the **** im getting that you ask

place car in Normal D, drive like a grandma/grampa and C

think back when she was brandnew
Old Sep 22, 2010, 02:54 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Webman
That's what I'm saying. Manual all feels the same, but you can definitely feel the difference between the 3, in automatic mode.

i dont think it was meant to be a diff when in manual mode like you want.

manual mode gives you all the control and thats it 100%

D mode normal, sport, ssport she controls 100%
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:35 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Guys, I'm sorry but you're wrong about manual mode. If you can't feel it, I don't know what to tell you.

The difference between super sport and normal on downshifts is completely opposite. Rev out to 5k then down shift in both and tell me you can't tell a major difference. Super Sport rev matches much more aggressively. You don't feel any engine braking in s-sport in manual mode. In normal you do.

At my last track day at PIR, I gained 1-2 seconds per lap going from Sport to Super Sport. The car was much more aggressive in Super Sport. You can feel it grab much quicker. How is it that you guys can't tell the difference here?

The most obvious difference in my car is shifting 2nd to 3rd. In normal, I will almost after fire every time (I need a new tune). In sport and super sport it hasn't done it once.

I'm fairly certain it determines gears differently based on if you're in Normal (known as city mode to mitsu), Sport, or Super Sport. I have no proof of this, but I know it absolutely does that in auto mode, I don't see why they wouldn't do the same thing in sport / s-sport as well since it still needs to determine gears differently based on different types of driving.

Last edited by migs647; Sep 22, 2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

No response from Mitsu. I guess that means even they don't know, lol.

Migs, you can tell me all you want that you "feel it", but I still believe there's a potential for placebo effect. I'm a software developer. I write software for electronic devices. Show me, in the programming, that there is a difference in anything, between the modes when shifting manually. If I am wrong, prove me wrong. Don't just tell me I'm wrong. I just want to know which side is right, which is why I called Mitsu. I just don't feel the difference in manual mode.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:37 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I too am a software engineer. Not only am I a software engineer but I have a degree from OIT in embedded software engineering.

I wish it was as easy as showing you in the programming. But in reality, that will never ever ever happen. You and I both know that. We may be able to hack it on a hex basis some day, but we will never see the source.

It's not a placebo effect, the difference is there big time. This isn't some mystery. It is easy to prove with tests. Create a system test plan with use case scenarios. If nothing else just for the rev matching. It's as simple as speeding up to 60mph and down shifting in both modes. Watch your mph drop quicker in normal vs s-sport. This is because there is more engine braking in Normal. The whole purpose of s-sport is to have 0 engine braking and to shift as quickly as possible. This keeps the rear wheels from braking free on a track. This is the same effect as heel-toe on a manual engine. Normal doesn't do it for you.

This is so easy to test there shouldn't even be any debate about it.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

thanks migs,
Old Sep 23, 2010, 07:50 PM

Have you guys seen this tsb? Check out what is says about harsh shifting in sport and super sport modes.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mi...teristics.html
Old Sep 24, 2010, 02:22 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by migs647
Guys, I'm sorry but you're wrong about manual mode. If you can't feel it, I don't know what to tell you.

The difference between super sport and normal on downshifts is completely opposite. Rev out to 5k then down shift in both and tell me you can't tell a major difference. Super Sport rev matches much more aggressively. You don't feel any engine braking in s-sport in manual mode. In normal you do.

At my last track day at PIR, I gained 1-2 seconds per lap going from Sport to Super Sport. The car was much more aggressive in Super Sport. You can feel it grab much quicker. How is it that you guys can't tell the difference here?

The most obvious difference in my car is shifting 2nd to 3rd. In normal, I will almost after fire every time (I need a new tune). In sport and super sport it hasn't done it once.

I'm fairly certain it determines gears differently based on if you're in Normal (known as city mode to mitsu), Sport, or Super Sport. I have no proof of this, but I know it absolutely does that in auto mode, I don't see why they wouldn't do the same thing in sport / s-sport as well since it still needs to determine gears differently based on different types of driving.

PLEASE BE SPECIFIC- IN MANUAL/PADDLE OR IN D/AUTOMATIC??

Quick Reply: Which driving mode causes least wear on TC-SST?