Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Maintenance Requirements for Tracked EVOs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2005, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maintenance Requirements for Tracked EVOs

Looking to get some feed back on the maintenance people do on EVOs that are tracked:

Some questions i'd like answers to:

1. How frequent should the oil change be? Every 4000 miles is ok or should it be after every track event or something

2. What fluids do you replace and how often. Please list all separately;
a) Tranny
b) Differential
c) Brake
d) Power Steering
e) Forgetting anything other than oil that i mentioned above.

3) Please also list how many track events you do in a year.

Please feel free to add. thanks

Last edited by KZEVO; Sep 19, 2005 at 07:15 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 12:46 AM

bump for a good question I'd like to see the answer for
Old Sep 21, 2005, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

at the very least I change oil and brake fluid between track events.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
First of all, I should mention that I was incredibly **** about break-in when I first bought my Evo in 2003. The first 3000 miles included several oil, tranny, rear diff, and transfer case flushes. The info below assumes that you've already got a car that's broken in.

Originally Posted by KZEVO
1. How frequent should the oil change be? Every 4000 miles is ok or should it be after every track event or something
I'm pretty **** about oil changes on my track cars. I generally do multi-day driving schools. I'll fill up with a racing oil (like Motul 300V or, now, Torco SR-5) in a relatively heavy grade (like 15W-50 or 20W-50) then swap back to a proper street oil with detergents and everything after the track event is over. I don't like leaving racing oil in the car for very long as it doesn't clean the engine, have cold start protection, and all of the other things you look for in street oil.

Having said that, if you stick with a quality synthetic street oil, then you should have no reason to change it before and after every trackday. Just keep an eye on the levels while you're at the track (some Evos go through 250+ mL of oil per 20-30 minute session), top off as necessary, and stick to your usual 3000 mile oil and filter change intervals.

2. What fluids do you replace and how often. Please list all separately;
a) Tranny
b) Differential
That will depend on which Evo you have. I have an '03 with the open front diff and relatively high-maintenance transfer case. I only use the GL-5 Mitsunishi DiaQueen LSD Gear Lube and I completely flush the transfer case at every second oil change (i.e., every 6000 miles). The consensus is that this is the best way to keep '03 transfer cases alive and healthy.

As for the tranny, and rear LSD, I flush these at every 15K miles (as recommended). So far, I've been using the standard GL-4 Mitsu lube for the tranny and the GL-5 DiaQueen LSD for the rear diff.

c) Brake
I completely flush the system at least twice a year. Once at the start of the summer and once before the winter. Before and after each event, I will bleed the system until I get clear fluid. I rarely have to bleed the brakes during an event.

So far, I've been using Valvoline SynPower fluid, which is comparable in performance to the very popular Ate SuperBlue but easier to find. I haven't felt the need for racing fluid and all the compromises (i.e., corrosion) that come with it.

d) Power Steering
I've been sticking to the service schedule for this. I've just done the 30K service and had this changed.

3) Please also list how many track events you do in a year.
A whole lot...it's hard to keep count. Also, I do have a dedicated track car (an E30 chassis BMW) so the Evo doesn't see all that much hard track use.

Emre
Old Sep 21, 2005, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kayaalp
First of all, I should mention that I was incredibly ****.....

noooo, ****, not you Emre.... ha ha ha!!!

j/k

n
Old Sep 21, 2005, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I change the oil before and after every event. Each one of my events is full three days so I kind of push the car to the limit.

I have been bleeding my brakes before every event but this time I will not bleed them as I just bled them last event. I want to see the difference.

For the tranny and TC I change them every 3 events or every 9 days of track time.

I don’t think our TC weak. I just think it needs smooth and nice driving when you are on the track. No need to launch it at all.
Old Sep 21, 2005, 11:08 AM

Should I flush out all the fluids before going to the track for the second time?

I've done 1 oil change already and the car (05 GSR has about 4,500 miles)

I will at least change the engine oil again and also put Super ATE brake fluid before the next track event, next week

should I flush the rest of the fluids as well?
Old Sep 21, 2005, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

great info guys. thanks for your feed back
Old Sep 21, 2005, 07:35 PM

I've found my evo needs a lot more maintenance than the book recommends. I only drive to and from...and on...the track, about 20 days per year.

1. Oil every two track weekends, or 2000 miles.
2. Kayaalp's recommendations about the gear boxes are great.
3. I've boiled the brakes at Laguna Seca with racing fluid...I recommend using racing fluid, and bleeding every night or after any session when they feel soft. Lots of work, but you will never be surprised at the end of the straight. Reality is that an evo with DOT race tires, pads, and a suspension will boil the brakes at some tracks, they're just not big enough.
4. Visually inspect rotors for cracks every morning. I've had them crack overnight on other cars.
5. Air Filter much more often than factory recommendation. I use cheap stock filters and replace them a few times per season, or after running at dusty tracks.
6. Coolant every year at least.
7. Visually inspect every suspension joint and arm every time you pull a tire, and rotate the tires throughout the weekend to even wear. Tug on all the suspension arms to make sure nothing is loose. Check to make sure the steering linkage nuts are right. Look at the rotors. Check for brake fluid dripping down the caliper (rare). Check for a leaking strut or coilover.
8. Check for play in the wheel bearings every once in a while. Use your foot and press on the top of the tire. A failing wheel bearing will have some play. rare in evos.
9. Check your fluid and air hose clamps every few track weekends, or more if you not stock.
10. If you are tracking a lot (20+ days per year), I would consider wheel bearings every year.
11. Nut and bolt. Nothing's fallen off my car yet, but as the cars age we'll probably need to crawl under the car the check every nut and bolt as often as necessary. For instance, the front lower control arm bolts on an old GTI can loosen in a weekend, but other bolts stay tight forever.
12. Accessory Belt every year. cheap insurance.
13. Cam belt. Much more often than factory, especially if you like to beat your car. I usually do a cam belt yearly on race cars, every 30k as a track toy.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 11:08 PM

this is good thread, now I need to follow this advice!
Old Sep 22, 2005, 11:48 PM
Evolved Member

All good answers above. Also, inspect your brake pads before every event, and if getting low, carry a back-up set.

As for tires, I run RA1s. They last a pretty long time for R-compound track tires, but as they start to wear into slicks, start inspecting them a couple of times a track day, better yet every run session. As soon as you see the slightest bit of cording, throw them away and put new ones on. It is best to have two sets of wheels. I bought an extra set of used stock Enkei wheels in good shape for $100 each, and I have RA1s mounted on all of them. Some new, some very worn. Drive to and from the track on the new ones, and on the track on the worn ones. Put the stickier (more worn) tires on the rear, and the newer ones on the front when driving on the track. As for which tires to put on which side once you have the newer ones on the front, the outside tires take more heat than the inside ones, so put the better tires on the outside (for CW tracks, the outside is the left side, for CCW tracks, the outside is the right side).

One more thing. Be sure to tie down your dip stick with 2 nylon zip ties. EVO dip sticks have a nasty habit of popping out under the load forces encountered on the track, and the result is a real mess.

As for your last question, I run HPDE track events at least 2-3 days a month, so let's say 30 track days per year. That's a conservative estimate.

Last edited by Richard EVO; Sep 23, 2005 at 12:02 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nils_work
noooo, ****, not you Emre.... ha ha ha!!!
Yeah, I know

Emre
Old Sep 23, 2005, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Richard EVO
All good answers above. Also, inspect your brake pads before every event, and if getting low, carry a back-up set.

As for tires, I run RA1s. They last a pretty long time for R-compound track tires, but as they start to wear into slicks, start inspecting them a couple of times a track day, better yet every run session. As soon as you see the slightest bit of cording, throw them away and put new ones on. It is best to have two sets of wheels. I bought an extra set of used stock Enkei wheels in good shape for $100 each, and I have RA1s mounted on all of them. Some new, some very worn. Drive to and from the track on the new ones, and on the track on the worn ones. Put the stickier (more worn) tires on the rear, and the newer ones on the front when driving on the track. As for which tires to put on which side once you have the newer ones on the front, the outside tires take more heat than the inside ones, so put the better tires on the outside (for CW tracks, the outside is the left side, for CCW tracks, the outside is the right side).

One more thing. Be sure to tie down your dip stick with 2 nylon zip ties. EVO dip sticks have a nasty habit of popping out under the load forces encountered on the track, and the result is a real mess.

As for your last question, I run HPDE track events at least 2-3 days a month, so let's say 30 track days per year. That's a conservative estimate.

Hoew have you convinced your wife to be civil about your running 30 events per year...conservative estimate of cost=17-20,000 per year? Just curious

Percy
Old Sep 23, 2005, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Some guys have all the luck.

Last edited by Richard EVO; Sep 23, 2005 at 10:45 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2005, 11:36 PM

More info from Mitsubishi

I just finished speaking with local Mitsu dealer, and he recommended changing transmission and diff fluid on a tracked car every other race weekend.

Last edited by SF-VIII-RS; Sep 24, 2005 at 12:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Maintenance Requirements for Tracked EVOs