Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Racing Brake 2-piece Rotor Review

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Smogrunner
If I get these two piece rotors, front and rear, and use good ole Hawk HPS for daily driving, will they squeal because of the floating rotors?
They won't squeal. But they might chatter a bit. Depends on the design. Not all 2-piece rotors are "floating." Designs in which the friction surface is solidly mounted to the hat will not chatter. It's a trade-off. You give you some performance under heavy track conditions for less hassle on the street (and a slightly lower cost).

My only concern is that I could just buy some Brembo slotted one piece replacements from the Tire Rack for $740 or RB one piece rotors for $599. Are the two piece rotors really worth the extra $600??

(Also, the two piece rotors have less rotating mass, ie. they're lighter, which may be good for a tenth of a second at the drag races)
Some of the prices I've seen are rediculous. I had Lee Vuong from Massive Brakes make me a set of rotors for my Evo VIII. These were one-off customs. They use aluminum hats and custom-sized Wilwood friction surfaces (I chose unslotted, but there are many other designs available). We went with a 2-piece, non-floating design since this is my daily driver and only sees occasional track use (I have a dedicated track car...that also has a Massive Brakes set-up). All told, I paid around $600 USD in total for the custom rotors.

This was a one-off project, but so many people have asked about my rotors that Lee has added them to his product line. There's no reason to spend $600-700 on 1-piece "disposable" rotors when you can get a very high quality 2-piece design for about the same price (a bit less, actually!). The aluminum hats and hardware are all first-rate. And you can't go wrong with Wilwood friction surfaces. These are quality rotors.

The best part is, you don't have to replace the whole thing. When the rotors wear out, you can keep the hats and swap out the friction surfaces. Because you're using Wilwood parts, you have tons of options and suppliers to hook you up.

Emre
Old Jan 21, 2007, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

Looks like the Massive Brakes website is down. Here are some pics:

If you guys are interested, I can get you in touch with Lee and maybe set up a group buy or something.

For the record, I have no commercial interests yadda yadda yadda. I know Lee from the BMW Club of Quebec. He's done some race fabrication for me over the years and we've become friends. He agreed to design custom rotors for my car since I could not find any 2-piece floating rotors in those days (nowadays, several companies offer stock replacement rotors, but they were hard to find not too long ago). Anyway, I'm not trying to make a buck here. Just a satisfied customer

Emre
Old Jan 21, 2007, 11:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
it'll squeek cuz of the pads.

and did you do your math wrong? http://www.racingbrake.com/EVO_8_FRO...p/2018-381.htm they're like 600 for both, 600 something. you should ask if the brembos are worth 700... i'll sell you my stockers for a good price :]
Old Jan 21, 2007, 11:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually no they don't squeek. I have the RB two-piece on all 4 corners with Hawk HPS pads and the ONLY time they make noise is if your romping on the brakes...(i.e. multiple 1/4 mile passes or high speed braking).

This combo is very effective and my car stops NOW. My buddies that have ridden with me usually make comments about how much more aggressive my car stops compared to their Evo's with the stock brake setup. I highly recommend this set if you want great stopping power for the street and do a little spirited driving on occasion.

My price from RacingBrake was just over 1400 for front and rear two-piece slotted rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Goodridge Lines and a liter of SuperBlue.

Last edited by Cirrusly Evolvd; Jan 22, 2007 at 08:08 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you, thank you. I love EvoM.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

If I get these two piece rotors, front and rear, and use good ole Hawk HPS for daily driving, will they squeal because of the floating rotors? I'm looking to select rotors for upcoming time-attack events and I'll use aggressive track pads for those racing days.

My only concern is that I could just buy some Brembo slotted one piece replacements from the Tire Rack for $740 or RB one piece rotors for $599. Are the two piece rotors really worth the extra $600??

(Also, the two piece rotors have less rotating mass, ie. they're lighter, which may be good for a tenth of a second at the drag races)
I've had the RB 332x28 BBK since March '06 and never had a problem with 2pc squeak. That BBK uses the same hardware as the 2pc stock replacement rotors.

Like trinydex says, check the math. The RB 2pc stock replacement rotors are here http://www.racingbrake.com/EVO_8_FRO...018-311-12.htm
Price is ~$296 per front rotor. If you call and mention EvoM they might still give you the intro discount.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think they'll always offer an Evom discount - Very nice bunch over there
Old Jan 22, 2007, 12:57 PM
Account Disabled

I have a noob question, sorry! When will it be necessary to step up to the Racing Brake 6 piston big brake kit for the front and the Racing Brake 4 piston big brake for the rear?

I plan on reducing the car's weight down to 2,665 pounds without driver. On top of the severely reduced weight I will have Racing Brake two-piece front and rear rotors, Hawk full race brake pads all around, stainless brake lines, Motul RBF600 brake fluid, and the AMS brake cooling ducts. The wheel and tire combo will be Volk Racing RE30s in 18x9.5 form with Kumho ECSTA V710s in 285/30/ZR18 form.

With my mentioned set-up I really doubt I will ever need bigger calipers.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Vigo
I have a noob question, sorry! When will it be necessary to step up to the Racing Brake 6 piston big brake kit for the front and the Racing Brake 4 piston big brake for the rear?
Never. Brake cooling is the real issue with our cars. The stock calipers will work fine as long as you can get some cool air to them.

If you decide to move up to a "full race" brake kit, you'll need to do some homework. Most of the kits on the market are all hype and little/no substance. Look at what real race teams use...there are plenty of Group N Evos running around all over the world, so you don't have to look very hard so see what works.

Emre
Old Jan 22, 2007, 01:32 PM
Account Disabled

Thanks!
Old Jan 22, 2007, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

If I can find the issue there is a Sport Compact Car that listed the stopping distance of 112 ft from 60-0 (sounds about right) on an Evo that was still using the stock calipers. Only upgrades were rotors, pads and lines. Our brakes are very good, and minor improvements make major difference
Old Jan 22, 2007, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Kayaalp, would you be able to get a kit made for the regular lancer? I think a lot of people would be interested in upgrading the front brakes (whether for performance or looks) but don't want to spend the money for Wilwoods kit wait the time for RPWs or do both for Brembos kit.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kayaalp
Never. Brake cooling is the real issue with our cars. The stock calipers will work fine as long as you can get some cool air to them.

If you decide to move up to a "full race" brake kit, you'll need to do some homework. Most of the kits on the market are all hype and little/no substance. Look at what real race teams use...there are plenty of Group N Evos running around all over the world, so you don't have to look very hard so see what works.

Emre
Yes, brake cooling is an a major issue with the stock system. I upgraded to the RB 17"-compatible BBK because I wanted to drop serious weight in the most effective place AND cool better than stock as well.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Kayaalp, would you be able to get a kit made for the regular lancer?
I don't personally have anything to do with Massive Brakes...other than being friends with Lee Vuong (the owner). I can certainly ask Lee if he's willing to put together a kit for the regular Lancer. But someone local (Montreal, Quebec) would need to lend their car for measurement and test-fitting.

Lee generally works with BMW's and is currently branching out into new Mini's. He caters to the BMW CCA Club Race and high-performance driving school crowd. The only non-BMW's he's worked on so far have been my Evo and a few vintage racers.

But if there's enough interest, he can certainly put together a kit using 4-piston Wilwood Billet Superlite calipers. Price should be in the $1200 USD range for a complete kit using the Superlite calipers (or Dynalites if you prefer).

BTW, a complete kit would include:

330mm x 32mm Wilwood rotors
T6 6061 aluminum hats
stainless steel adapter brackets
1/8NPT to AN4 and Aeroquip AN4 to 10mm x 1mm fittings
all bolts
Wilwood Billet Superlite calipers

Emre
Old Jan 22, 2007, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Well the rotor size is a little big, 260 mm would be more than enough. What's the difference between the Dynalites and the Superlites?

Quick Reply: Racing Brake 2-piece Rotor Review