Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Racing Brake 2-piece Rotor Review

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2005, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Racing Brake 2-piece Rotor Review

I'm posting this in the motor sport section because these rotors are for the true track hounds. I have been fortunate enough to be able to test the RACING BRAKE 2 piece front rotors, and their rear one-piece rotors. The pad set-up was Hawk HT14 front, and HT10 rear. My first event on these rotors was at Reno-Fernley Raceway on October 22, and I was frankly STUNNED at the effectiveness of this Rotor and pad combination over my stock set-up and Race Pad combo. With the stock rotors I have run the carbotech XP10's, great pads, but the stopping power was no where near what I was able to achieve with the Racing Brake/Hawk set-up. In 7 20 minute sessions on a very high speed track with 2 heavy braking zones I experienced absolutely 0 fade, and pedal modulation was excellent. You can come off of these brakes quickly, and the response is progressive and linear, good feel. Cooling was exceptionally improved due to the curved vane, Floating rotor design. The rotor/pad combo is noisy, and I have confirmed that racing brake is working on special shims for the Hawk pads that will cut down on this somewhat.

I will post some pictures tomorrow, as I need to work on editing them to fit the space requirements. Racing Brake is also working on a Big Brake Kit for the Evo which should come in at very competitive pricing tot he stoptech and other BB kits. The quality of materials and design of the rotors is spectacular, and I could go into detail about that, but better info can be found at
http://www.racingbrake.com/product_p/2018-311-12.htm

Look at the comparison chart for more technical information. Bottom line is that with this set-up I was able to brake much deeper and harder, with excellent pedal modulation and control. These rotors are worth a strong look by anyone that tracks their car on a somewhat regular basis.

Percy Howard
Old Nov 2, 2005, 03:31 AM
wtz
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As soon as Hawk has the DTC-70 compound available try them. You will be even more pleased.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
mmm this sounds very good.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Some pictures of the wear of the rotors are attached. Front rotor pics are a little deceiving, as the wear lines are NOT groves, the rotors have no lip on them at a ll after one event.

Percy
Attached Images   
Old Nov 4, 2005, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

I think you should have your front calipers replaced under warranty because they are faded and the clear coat is chipping

Old Nov 10, 2005, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

wtz, hagakure,

I am getting a set of 2 piece rotors from RB and have the opportunity to order hawk pads.
My car is 80/20 , HPDE / errands. Been using Ferodo3000 pads full time. Can you give me heads up on what I should use for pads?
RB also wants me to order their rear rotors, but I don't see them as important. Any input?
Old Nov 10, 2005, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Iwould reccommend gettingt he rear rotors as well, as they will last substantially longer than a stock rotor, and you still have the advantage of just replacing the rings when they wear. Since you are about 80% street I would recommend an intermediate pad, such as an endless SS-S, or Even, daresay I, a carbotech XP9. the XP10's I had on previous to my Hawk racing pad set-up were actually very easy on the rotors.

Percy
Old Nov 11, 2005, 03:12 AM
Evolved Member

I think it was 80% HPDE & 20% errands??
Old Nov 11, 2005, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

a few errands, and those are an excuse to check my tuning. 80% track car, wish I could get more, so as you can see it doen't rack up the miles.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry Man....

If it is an 80% Track car, I'd go with the Carbotech XP10's. you can run them on the street, and they STOP you NOW ont he track. Excellent pads. Soemthing like the HAWK HT14's tand 10's ont he rear that I run on the track are baisically unstreetable, for the wailing banshee sound alone.

Percy
Old Nov 12, 2005, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nothere
My car is 80/20 , HPDE / errands...Can you give me heads up on what I should use for pads?
Hawk doesn't really make any race pads that are streetable. Their so-called "street and track" compounds (like the HP+) are basically just street pads...no one runs them on the track if they can help it!

If you want a race pad that can be driven on the street without any real downside, then the Performance Friction PF-97 is the pad to beat. It's not quite as aggressive as the Hawk HT-10 or Carbotech Panther XP-10 on the track, but it's awful close. And it does just fine on the street with minimal rotor wear and practically no noise/squeal.

Emre
Old Nov 13, 2005, 11:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Kayaalp

If you want a race pad that can be driven on the street without any real downside, then the Performance Friction PF-97 is the pad to beat.
Too bad they stopped making them, but something better is coming.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by razorlab
Too bad they stopped making them, but something better is coming.
When did they stop? I bought a new set just a couple of weeks ago. Are you sure you're not thinking of PF-90's? The PF-97's are what replaced the 90's.

Emre
Old Nov 13, 2005, 12:00 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
the PF-97's.

I just got a set a couple weeks ago too.

Something better is coming.
Old Nov 13, 2005, 08:13 PM
SRJ

That's a good price on their rotors. What would be a good spirited street pad. Probably will never make it to the track but I have been known to heat up some rotors.

Quick Reply: Racing Brake 2-piece Rotor Review