Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Coolant on track = bad weekend

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2005, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant on track = bad weekend

Right click, Save as...

If not available try here: http://media.putfile.com/Spa2005_crash
Old Nov 19, 2005, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

Ouch!
Old Nov 19, 2005, 08:22 PM
ez
Evolving Member

Why did he get out of the car?!?!
Old Nov 19, 2005, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

wow...that sucks...kind of interesting how both drivers jumped out immediately...
Old Nov 20, 2005, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ez
Why did he get out of the car?!?!
because he was in an emminent t-bone spot.

They always tell you to stay in the car, but he got out instantly, not sure what he's driving, if it didn't have reverse, then i guess i'd have bailed too, the other guy, damn, thats quite a wreck.
Old Nov 20, 2005, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

That's pretty nasty.

Last edited by Richard EVO; Nov 20, 2005 at 04:04 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2005, 12:16 PM
ez
Evolving Member

Sure...it's easy for me to say sitting here, but he took quite a risk that someone would hit him while he was getting out. Case in point - he actually was hit and was very fortunate he was not seriously injured or killed. And the second guy did the same thing! It reminds me of that Le Mans steward that was killed a while back because he just ran out on the track to retrieve a piece from a car and could not get out of the way of a prototype car.

It also appeared to be a bit fast for a cooldown lap. The other two cars seemed to be taking it a bit slower and had no trouble avoiding the blind accident.

Of course the most important thing is that everyone was ok...

Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
because he was in an emminent t-bone spot.

They always tell you to stay in the car, but he got out instantly, not sure what he's driving, if it didn't have reverse, then i guess i'd have bailed too, the other guy, damn, thats quite a wreck.
Old Nov 20, 2005, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

i agree, it's a tough call. If it had reverse, he'd have been much better off to back up and drag the remains of the vehicle off the line.

However, everyone can see thats quite a bit of coolant, maybe it was just a blind spot for the workers.

At many of the events i've been to, people tend to take a cooldown lap WAY too hard. They take it at 75-80% rather than 90-95%. I put it in 5th, and only touch the brakes when going into a 2nd gear corner. it's amazing how quick a car can cool down doing 50 mph or so on a track, instead of going wot. takes about 1/2 a lap here to get coolant temps back down to normal, and oil drops from 110C to 90 that quick also.
Old Nov 20, 2005, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
i agree, it's a tough call. If it had reverse, he'd have been much better off to back up and drag the remains of the vehicle off the line.
Sounds like you've never been in a serious wreck! Let me explain...

Yes, the car has reverse. It's a Caterham Super 7 and they either use conventional gearboxes or Hewland sequential shifters. But all have a reverse gear. The problem is that when you have such a huge, high-speed impact the engine and tranny mounts tend to snap. So, whether or not you have a reverse is irrelevant. The car won't move.

I had that experience in my BMW years back at Tremblant. Hit standing water at full throttle at the top of 4th gear in Corner 6. The car slewed sideways and right into the tire wall. All the engine and tranny mounts snapped. Even though the car was not damaged too badly, it was not drivable.

Emre
Old Nov 20, 2005, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kayaalp
Sounds like you've never been in a serious wreck! Let me explain...

Yes, the car has reverse. It's a Caterham Super 7 and they either use conventional gearboxes or Hewland sequential shifters. But all have a reverse gear. The problem is that when you have such a huge, high-speed impact the engine and tranny mounts tend to snap. So, whether or not you have a reverse is irrelevant. The car won't move.

I had that experience in my BMW years back at Tremblant. Hit standing water at full throttle at the top of 4th gear in Corner 6. The car slewed sideways and right into the tire wall. All the engine and tranny mounts snapped. Even though the car was not damaged too badly, it was not drivable.

Emre
i gotcha, but it just seemed like there wasn't enough time to try it real quick, there was no hesitation, ya know what i mean? Just the instant he stopped, he instantly went to unbuckling.

Dunno, can't say either way what i'd do, til i was in that position, ya know? But no, never been in a wreck on-track, and was only ever in a small parking lot fender bender in my life.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

Here's a quote from the guy driving the seven:

im fine... ribs are broken but they are doing well. Slept better last night and daytime they dont really hurt unless i try and use the muscles there or adopt an inappropriate body position

hope to be at work next week

of course being in the incident wasnt as bad/scary as you imagine it would be when watching it as an observer. The collision with the tyre barrier didnt really hurt and i was expecting it and i also knew the honda was going to hit me but by that time i was commited to leaving the vehicle and I had to turn away from the honda and make a jump for it. Yes, i could have stayed in the car and maybe i should have done but then my instincts told me that a radical exiting at 125mph+ and slicing straight into me (or indeed the honda had he not swerved) might have been fatal.

car needs a new front on the chassis, side and rear skin, some wishbones, a dedion tube and some other bits an pieces and obviously a paintjob. It will be rebuilt better than before asap (they come back from arch even stronger) and then i will decide if i continue or have a break for a bit and build something new in winter 2006. I was half thinking of selling the car as ive had duratec power for 2 years now and still want the chance to build one for myself.

once again,thanks for youre sympathies. Peoples warm responses and offers of help on countless forums, trackside and via personal email have been truly appreciated.

and a massive thumbs up to decent helmets, proper FIA padding and teh full race cage. Its eye opening to have that expensive stuff actually do its job. I would obviously now never in a million years track a car without any of it.
Also a link to the video from the Honda:

Video Here

Last edited by propellerhead; Nov 21, 2005 at 07:38 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 05:52 AM
Evolving Member

Wow, that looked rough. It did look like both the cars that bit it were going a bit fast for a cooldown lap.

Originally Posted by propellerhead

Also a link to the video from the Honda:

http://www.bookatrack.com/-PFexboyr...4164&video/mpeg
Link is busted.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

wow horrible...
Old Nov 21, 2005, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

oops, link fixed.

Originally Posted by Mikey52
Link is busted.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
That was the top of Au Rouge (spelling? french sucks) right? That had to be scary as hell. Getting out of the car thinking you'll run to safety only to see another car hurtling at you out of control.

Quick Reply: Coolant on track = bad weekend