Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Slicks on the evo...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2006, 07:43 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by housedj
try some advan a032R's b4 going to slicks. they can be heat cycled &/or shaved. got mine from tire rack ($144/each) as they are discontinued. they were replaced by the advan a048. they both have a treadwear of 60. if u want slicks go w/ Hoosiers...
I run Hoosier R3S04 / R3S05 on my Ultima GTR... they are good.. not much faster than the RA-1.

I also Run Advan A048's on my Lotus Elise and I HATE THEM ! RA-1's are 100 times more predictable than the yoko's
Old Apr 27, 2006, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kingkyle
I think dunlop is the way to go.
Bob Woodman is a good resource. We use his service when we go down to Sebring.

But again, the leap from RA-1's to full slicks is huge. Consider the Hoosier R6 or Michelin Pilot Sport Cup as an intermediate step. Either one is dramatically better than the RA-1, which is pretty much the mildest DOT-R compound you can find.

Emre
Old Apr 27, 2006, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kayaalp
Consider the Hoosier R6 or Michelin Pilot Sport Cup as an intermediate step. Either one is dramatically better than the RA-1, which is pretty much the mildest DOT-R compound you can find.

Emre
Ok the hoosier will be a dramatic step up but have you actually run the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups? Ive known multiple porsche owners (and driven a turbo and gt3 with this tire) with this tire and all of them agree that this is comparable to a shaved RA1. Highly doubtful the MPSC is comparable to a hoosier, get them only if its a smoking deal.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heeltoer
Ok the hoosier will be a dramatic step up but have you actually run the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups? Ive known multiple porsche owners (and driven a turbo and gt3 with this tire) with this tire and all of them agree that this is comparable to a shaved RA1. Highly doubtful the MPSC is comparable to a hoosier, get them only if its a smoking deal.
My experience with the PSC has been on an E46 M3 with full Ground-Control suspension and various Porsches (GT3 and 996 C2). I definitely found them stickier than RA-1's, but not as good as Hoosiers. But compared to the Hoosiers, they're much less sensitive to abuse and last quite a bit longer.

Personally, I still run RA-1's on my track car (and even run street tires sometimes). The point that most people seem to forget is that driving schools and lapping are meant to be FUN. It's not a race. I would gladly trade that last bit of speed if it means not having to deal with fussy equipment. I have just as much fun sliding the Evo around on street tires as I do running my track car on shaved DOT-R rubber.

Frankly, I don't see the point of even Hoosier's (let alone race slicks) in a driving school or lapping setting. If you're competing, then that's a different story. I prefer to drive to the track, run hard all day, work with my students, enjoy my few sessions, then pack up and drive home. Even the idea of trailering an Evo to the track strikes me as mildly absurd. Half the fun is the drive to and from the track!

Emre
Old Apr 27, 2006, 10:33 AM
Account Disabled

My experience with the PSC has been on an E46 M3 with full Ground-Control suspension and various Porsches (GT3 and 996 C2). I definitely found them stickier than RA-1's, but not as good as Hoosiers. But compared to the Hoosiers, they're much less sensitive to abuse and last quite a bit longer.

Personally, I still run RA-1's on my track car (and even run street tires sometimes). The point that most people seem to forget is that driving schools and lapping are meant to be FUN. It's not a race. I would gladly trade that last bit of speed if it means not having to deal with fussy equipment. I have just as much fun sliding the Evo around on street tires as I do running my track car on shaved DOT-R rubber.

Frankly, I don't see the point of even Hoosier's (let alone race slicks) in a driving school or lapping setting. If you're competing, then that's a different story. I prefer to drive to the track, run hard all day, work with my students, enjoy my few sessions, then pack up and drive home. Even the idea of trailering an Evo to the track strikes me as mildly absurd. Half the fun is the drive to and from the track!

Emre
Thanks for all the good info. What series do you race in?

I totally agree with you on the RA-1's for trackdays... I do run them on a regular basis... but for "FUN" I would like to run a full slick toward the end of this season in an EMRA time trial. They dont have any tire requirements. I win my class now with RA-1's ... but I want to see what the EVO can do with race slicks and see if i can beat the 58-59 sec formula cars at LRP
I'm really only trying to up the bar in evo performance. ...
Old Apr 27, 2006, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for all the good info. What series do you race in?
I don't really race. I instruct with several chapters of the BMW CCA, BMW CC, PCA, and ACNA plus a bunch of local clubs. I used to live in Canada, so I've done as many ice racing events and winter rally schools as I could. I'll do the occasional Solo 1 time trial or Solo 2 auto-x event. Basically, I try to participate in every form of motorsport I can! It all adds up to make you a better driver.

I totally agree with you on the RA-1's for trackdays... I do run them on a regular basis... but for "FUN" I would like to run a full slick toward the end of this season in an EMRA time trial. They dont have any tire requirements. I win my class now with RA-1's ... but I want to see what the EVO can do with race slicks and see if i can beat the 58-59 sec formula cars at LRP
I'm really only trying to up the bar in evo performance. ...
LOL. I hear that. If you're going to compete, then tires make all the difference in the world.

Emre
Old Apr 30, 2006, 06:09 AM
Evolving Member

We run the Dunlops on the gt3cup cars. We buy them from sasco, the source you already found The yokohama's are going to be faster for about 3 laps but then they will start to fall off by quite a bit. They also don't seem to have any shelf like, so once they are used they will not be a good tire to run again a few days or a week later. All slicks are going to wear much faster than a DOT tire but the Dunlop is probably the best all arouind slick for speed an longevity.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 04:25 AM

Talking Yup

I prefer to drive my Evo to the track, then swap wheels and tires in the paddock. Enjoy the best of both worlds. Plus, the only reason to go slicks is if you are going out doing PDX (advanced) and are planning to go to competition school soon and want to really push it. Other than that, just run Advan III or Pilot SS and enjoy the thrill of stepping the *** out in corners with more control than any RWD fanboy could ever imagine.

Emre
Old Mar 1, 2016, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Wut..

I almost forgot about Kyle lol.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
What is with these necro threads on the site tonight? 10 year old thread geez
Old Mar 10, 2016, 08:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
the old michelin porsche cup n1 front slick were a perfect fit on the evo with a 9.5" rim. since the latest version of the gt3 came out and they went to a slightly wider tyre i think they may still fit. the porsche series down here has just switched to pirelli and i havnt managed to get my hands on a set yet.

Guys down here run michelins, hankooks, kuhmo, pirelli on their evo's. might pay to drop into a proper motorsport based garage that does race prep and have a word to them. preferably somebody who preps GT3 spec cars e.g porsche, lamborghini etc.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
I debated that but at 2000 a set I shy'd away from them, on top of the fact that once you even touch a hint of grass or any "sub optimal" grip surface you may as well be on ice. Add in that michi thinks that the BFG tire is more to "our level" so they don't even offer a contingency under the michi umbrella. Fastest tire in perfect conditions no doubt, but just not worth the effort.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 09:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 273 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
I debated that but at 2000 a set I shy'd away from them, on top of the fact that once you even touch a hint of grass or any "sub optimal" grip surface you may as well be on ice. Add in that michi thinks that the BFG tire is more to "our level" so they don't even offer a contingency under the michi umbrella. Fastest tire in perfect conditions no doubt, but just not worth the effort.
i get mine second hand for like $80nzd a tire. go chat to the chequebook porsche racers etc see if they will sell you their tires after theyve done a qualifying or something if they use numerous sets per weekend.

Youll be surprised how many of the bigger budget racers will discard a set thats only 20% worn cause they have lost their optimum edge.