Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

harnesses lol, I know...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2006, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ryan0
misinformation and people who dont listen frustrate me... sorry.

read up on the science of harnesses. a 4-pt will ride up on impact. a 72" shoulder harness will stretch on impact . shoulder harnesses at > 15 degree angle is bad on impact.

people dont want to hear these things..

and as far as the DOT argument.. your factory belts are DOT approved also.. so are rubber brake lines.

when racing.. its safe or not safe. thats it.. harness bars are inconvienient, 6-pts are inconvienient, HANS is inconvienient, SFI 3 layers is inconvienient..

if your not going to do it right.. why do it at all?.. thats the only point here.
Speaking of a HANS unit. I am able to get 15% off for anyone that is interested this month. I'm not the distributor nor do I make a dime.

Ryan is making good points. Anyone that spends enough time at the track quickly learns that it's better to do it right than to come up with a half-*** solution that may result in your death in an accident.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

thank you 992gnt!

Yeah warr I'm with ya.

Everyone realize, this isn't for time trialing, its for DEs, and the main reason is not because I want harnesses but because my instructors moan and whine about sliding around, the CG works... decent... for me. So I think the Schroth's will work quite well. They are no more dangerous than the factory 3-pts (even if they are no safer) and will supply that added stability.

A big thank you to all that helped or offered insight. Now you guys can turn this thread into whatever you like.

lol 7pt ftw!
Old Nov 9, 2006, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

I went with the Sparco 4" four point and a harness bar for autox. The cam lock allows for the addition of lower belts if you decide to upgrade later. These are branded Sparco, but are made by Schroth and are FIA approved.

Do not use harnesses on the open track without a roll cage. Crushed roof=crushed neck. Take it from the voice of experience. I've rolled two cars. In one of the crashes, the roof crushed. If I had been held upright by a harness, I'd be dead.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 08:01 AM
ez
Evolving Member

Safety first, period.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=234059

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...highlight=safe
Old Nov 17, 2006, 01:52 PM

I ran a number of events in an '04 STi using the Schroth Rallye 4 with the anti Submarine feature. I made certain that the lap belt portion was as tight as I could stand it across my hips (slide seat forward after latching) before snugging up the shoulder harnesses.

I would then also use the stock lap/shoulder belt across the Schroth harness. Both schroth and stock harnesses were attached to the same fasteners at the lap belt points. The STi had a pre-tensioning charge at the base of the door pillar that would Snug up the stocl lap/shoulder belt in an impact. I was heii-bent on not "subbing" under the lap belt. In my opinion, the stock shoulder belt would not defeat the Schroth harness - the two belts ran quite close to each other across my chest, and I could theoretically still be able to roll toward the centerline of the car.

With this set-up, i felt that I was really "battened down into the seat" and not fighting the cornering/braking forces. All of the remaining risks were there: roll over/roof crush etc. but it was and remains a calulated risk I was willing to take. I made sure I infomed every passenger on a track day of their seat belt options: 1. stock, 2. Schroth, or 3. Schroth AND stock belts. Everyone "doubled up"...

Track Rat Evo IX MR newbie
Old Nov 20, 2006, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TrackRat
I ran a number of....Schroth AND stock belts. Everyone "doubled up"...

Track Rat Evo IX MR newbie
cool man, thanks.

lol... love the car listing on the left btw... rediculous.