Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

EVO IX vs. Porsche Club of America

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2007, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude thats awesome!
Old Nov 18, 2007, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
awesome.....
Old Nov 18, 2007, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OldschoolEVO
Dude your beating a dead horse. If we were to take all those cars he mentioned plus the Evo right out of the show room the Evo would get spanked. Once an Evo gets modded it instantly becomes null and void when it comes to bench racing. I didn't know he wasn't stock when I made the first post.

We all know Evos take mods very well and thats why 90% of people buy them. "Look, I just spent 1,200 on my 30k car and I can walk cars 2xs the price"

And lets face it. At the end of the day we still drive 4door family cars. And if you really had a choice between a 997 and an Evo you'd really take the Evo?
Depends on the situation. If I wanted a car dedicated to racing, without spending a gajillion of dollars....evo. If I wanted cars to pick up chicks.....porsche. But if I wanted a car that humiliates other car owners who spent a crapload more money....Evo. So based on what I wrote, you can figure out what I went with.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

Dude your beating a dead horse. If we were to take all those cars he mentioned plus the Evo right out of the show room the Evo would get spanked. Once an Evo gets modded it instantly becomes null and void when it comes to bench racing. I didn't know he wasn't stock when I made the first post.

We all know Evos take mods very well and thats why 90% of people buy them. "Look, I just spent 1,200 on my 30k car and I can walk cars 2xs the price"

And lets face it. At the end of the day we still drive 4door family cars. And if you really had a choice between a 997 and an Evo you'd really take the Evo?
Right...

But we're not talking about bench racing since he said that the GT3 that was driven by a pro was also heavily modified. It would be one thing if his Evo was modified and all the others were stock...but that's not the case.

Also, I think you're throwing around the term "spank" a little too liberally. If all the cars were stock on that race day and all the drivers were fairly equal, I don't think that the Evo would get "spanked." It may lose, but it would be close.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Xx Danny xX
Right...

But we're not talking about bench racing since he said that the GT3 that was driven by a pro was also heavily modified. It would be one thing if his Evo was modified and all the others were stock...but that's not the case.

Also, I think you're throwing around the term "spank" a little too liberally. If all the cars were stock on that race day and all the drivers were fairly equal, I don't think that the Evo would get "spanked." It may lose, but it would be close.
Stock Evo vs. stock C6Z, 360 Challenge Stradale, 997 GT3 etc. would not be close - not even remotely. Make up for the power difference and it would be close.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
my opinion is the evo in stock form its sucks, against z06 porsche etc. but why is it suprising?
Old Nov 18, 2007, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 72Tornado
Stock Evo vs. stock C6Z, 360 Challenge Stradale, 997 GT3 etc. would not be close - not even remotely. Make up for the power difference and it would be close.
I'm well aware of the power deficit when compared to those cars. However, since this is on a track, I don't think that the Evo will do so badly. Also, I'm not very familiar with the track so I don't know if there are straights that would easily allow those cars to pass the Evo based on power. I'm not going to split hairs because we both know that the above mentioned cars are clearly superior, but the main point of my post was to get the point across that both cars being argued about were modified. It wasn't like the Evo was and the GT3 wasn't.

I just think people throw around terms like "spank" too much without realizing what they are saying.

Last edited by Xx Danny xX; Nov 18, 2007 at 05:54 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Congrats, looks like a fun event.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 06:07 PM

I'm well aware of the power deficit when compared to those cars. However, since this is on a track, I don't think that the Evo will do so badly. Also, I'm not very familiar with the track so I don't know if there are straights that would easily allow those cars to pass the Evo based on power. I'm not going to split hairs because we both know that the above mentioned cars are clearly superior, but the main point of my post was to get the point across that both cars being argued about were modified. It wasn't like the Evo was and the GT3 wasn't.

I just think people throw around terms like "spank" too much without realizing what they are saying.
Pretty good back straight at Road Atlanta, I'm not sure of the exact length of the straight, but coming out of turn 7 in 2nd or 3rd (depending on traffic) I could consistently hit an indicated 155MPH without staying full-throttle down the hill into 10A...bigger ***** and some aero and the car could do 160+.

Cleve
Old Nov 18, 2007, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cgmeredithjr
Pretty good back straight at Road Atlanta, I'm not sure of the exact length of the straight, but coming out of turn 7 in 2nd or 3rd (depending on traffic) I could consistently hit an indicated 155MPH without staying full-throttle down the hill into 10A...bigger ***** and some aero and the car could do 160+.

Cleve
Wow.

Well then...there you have it.

I was actually just talking to my friend who competitively races his 2004 Honda CBR 600RR and he raced at Road Atlanta a few times. If I remember correctly, he said he was able to top out his bike at that track. He said it's a really good track with turns that can get pretty steep.

Last time he was there, he was in first place by a good margin and about to win the race before his throttle got stuck wide open and he crashed at about 140 mph. Needless to say, I can't wait to try out that track.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
WOW amazing, really.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 06:53 PM

Congrats!
Old Nov 18, 2007, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

I love Evos to death but I find this really hard to believe.
I've watched it happen at a PCA event at Memphis Motorsports with a nearly stock Mellon Tuned Evo outrunning all of the Porsche street cars. I have no doubt that a modded GT35 Evo would do damage to a lot of track cars.

I own an older 911 and love the car to death, but the speed/$$ ratio is much better for the Evo.

Last edited by dsmythe2; Nov 18, 2007 at 07:33 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 72Tornado
Agreed. I think it's a whole lot easier on the wallet to make HUGE improvements to the Evo Not quite the case with the other cars on the list...
Old Nov 18, 2007, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure, that's true, people do use terms like that too loosely...but those cars would spank an Evo around a road course, no questions asked. True, on a very tight, twisty course, it'd be a bit closer, but the fact is those cars easily outhandle, outbrake, and substantially outpower the Evo. Let's not get overconfident about our cars here. The C6Z, 997 GT3, etc. are truly world class sports cars. The Evo is a wonderful machine for the price but it can't even begin to compare to those cars stock-for-stock. Even a Z51-equipped C6 would probably be too much of a handful for a stock Evo, especially given the 130hp difference.

Road Atlanta is a big, fast circuit...long front straight leading into some moderate speed sections, a few slow turns into a huge back straight into a few slow corners and back to the front...

Quick Reply: EVO IX vs. Porsche Club of America