Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

EVO IX vs. Porsche Club of America

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2007, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Balrok
BOTTOME LINE: For most of us, the Evo is the Poor Man's Porsche

I've been there done that too, been PCA for 11 years, etc etc bla, father and I have built and raced many Porsche's. Dollar for Dollar the Evo can beat the Porsche with any one of "us" driving. However obviously none of you have been actually watching any actual racing and too concerned with your own boasting to pay attention. If you check the Redline Time Attack events, Summit, which is VERY technical on both horsepower and handling just had their's. And whada know, a 993 beat out the argueably fastest Road Racing evo in the country, AMS's EVO. By 1 lousy second! Know what the best part about that is? It's a win for both. The Porsche is:

* Backed by engineers at JIC
* The engine makes over 600 awhp
* It has 3 turbochargers and 6 throttle bodies

The Evo is...well AMS, it's a bad *** for about half the cost. I was glad for both because i love both. The Evo is getting more and more respect now that the tuners have the program down to a science and the Track ****** who used to dominate are recognizing that.

Have fun out there and congratz on contracting the disease like the rest of us

How do you get three Turbos on a flat 6?
Old Nov 19, 2007, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by High_PSI
How do you get three Turbos on a flat 6?
Two cylinders per turbo? j/k If you catch Redline TV, they did a show on it, and those were the specs according to JIC.

To the OP: nice pics, great driving.

To the rest: think of it this way, for us non-pro drivers, the Evo is a wonderful thing, since it's _much_ more forgiving than a rear-engined Porsche, meaning that most DE level drivers can extract more out of their Evos than they would be able to from a Porsche.

l8r)
Old Nov 19, 2007, 09:05 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dsmythe2
OK. Now I KNOW he has more power than me.
well if you'd come up off the wallet and get tuned you'd make him look silly since you run race gas
Old Nov 19, 2007, 09:06 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 72Tornado
Okay, that makes a lot more sense. Something would have been fishy if that was on stock suspension...but I guess the stock Bremobs are definitely up to snuff, eh?
he also has the driver mod going for him, he's good and he's aggressive.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Another thing we are all missing, is that 80% of the 911's out there are stock, or have some factory modded parts.

There also MUCH harder to get HP from. A basic chip is a $1000 & does 12hp, a full exhaust with cats & mufflers are $3000 for the cheap stuff, & do like 8hp.

Even the factory suspensions are expensive! $1200 for the factory Turbo shocks, & just regular Bilsteins are $1400!

You know the EVO has more stock HP then the non turbo Aircooled engines, & only slightly less then the newer water cooled ones.

Stock VS stock, the 911 is light years ahead in handling & breaking. But I'm talking about a AWD Big red 911 VS EVO.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 10:06 AM

I think it's really funny how porsche guys are scared of people with less expensive cars. It's not enough that they drive a porsche. They should be confortable with the fact that they own something most people can't afford their whole lives. It's that most of them are too poor to own a real exotic like a ferrari or lamborghini. So its basic insecurity. Case in point. I have a family member who is deathly scared of my evo. He owns a modified 996TT with bigger turbos, intercoolers and the works. It's just the thought that he could possibly lose that keeps him up at night. I had his car for a day, would I trade my evo, civic, and toyota for his car, no way. The 996 is a pig. I can't stand they way any 3800 lb car drives. I don't care if it is a p-car, benz or an m-car. My personal favorites of all the cars I have owned: 93 mazda RX-7, my 550whp 2200# civic, and my stock Integra Type R. The best car I have ever owned: My current 06 Evo9 RS. When I retire I'll buy something like a Ferrari 360cs.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i think this is going a wrong way. I do not think the guy started wich is a better car. He simply stated he was happy the fact, he out runed those porsche's.
The Porsche is a better car , and of story.
The evo is a hughe bang for the $. And getting every day more respect. I remember in 04 ,where ever i drove my car, most respond was : look that rice there.... and i remember the STI guys phony look..
Today : look an Evo!!!
So we got what we wanted. respect and some fear...
But don't think our car is better then those porsche's or Z06"s ... because you will get some humbling experience and it will really hurt.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 01:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by cgmeredithjr
I want to see how fast Leh could get my car around Road Atlanta...I bet he could turn 1:30's or faster...not me, my ***** aren't that big and my skillz ain't that great.

Cleve
i duno man... if your runnin 1:35s...

thats pretty haulin ballz.......

i dont realy know the specs on your car... must be somewhat of a sleeper...
Old Nov 19, 2007, 01:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
To the rest: think of it this way, for us non-pro drivers, the Evo is a wonderful thing, since it's _much_ more forgiving than a rear-engined Porsche, meaning that most DE level drivers can extract more out of their Evos than they would be able to from a Porsche.

l8r)
yea.. thats a really good point...

that kinda slipped my mind...

a evo compaired to a porsche...

the evo kinda drives itself really....
Old Nov 19, 2007, 01:32 PM
Account Disabled

yep, it's hard to get into trouble with the EVO...the only time I did it was when I borrowed someone else's tires and had the tire pressure all jacked up. Turns out the right rear had a significant leak from the valve stem and was seriously low on pressure and the other three were over inflated a bit. you can hear me in the video making comments about it feeling funky before I eventually looped it out

*video*
http://www.racevideoforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=2658
Old Nov 19, 2007, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Represent.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOIIIM3
Anyone who has done lot of track days, knows, that a good driver in a slow car can walk & even lap some one in a fast car. I lapped very high dollar cars in my old M3, like Z06's F355, Supercharged NXS. Yes, the car all should be much faster then my little I-4 powered car, but they were not. Why? I was driving harder, pushing more & had much more knowledge on how to drive. It doesn't lessen any of the other cars. In the same car, I was lapped in a rented Dodge Neon.
This, I believe, is known as the "wadability factor." Anyone knows that a car's wadability is inversely proportional to its lap times. Rented cars, especially the ones with full insurance purchased, have the highest wadability factor currently known to man.

For confirmation of this, ask yourself how someone in a bone stock 87 Toyota FX-16 (that's the FWD Corolla) comes within 3 seconds of FTD at an SCCA rallycross:

http://phillyscca.com/courserally/re...10_21_2007.pdf

Last edited by GTLocke13; Nov 19, 2007 at 01:55 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by kingleh@GSC
i duno man... if your runnin 1:35s...

thats pretty haulin ballz.......

i dont realy know the specs on your car... must be somewhat of a sleeper...

Leh, the mods are on the first page. I met and spoke with you briefly at the PCA Club Race earlier this year at RA...the one where you were HAULIN some REAL BALLZ in the RSR, weren't you running 1:20's?

Cleve
Old Nov 19, 2007, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Love the last pic in the 1st set with the 2 wheels of the ground!
Old Nov 20, 2007, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kingleh@GSC
a evo compaired to a porsche...

the evo kinda drives itself really....
That's kind of dissapointing to hear. I do pretty well in my (stock) IX, and I've been attributing it to practice and effort. It sounds like to be considered a good driver you have to be quick in a car that's hard to drive.

I also don't get why everyone likes photos of cars up on 2 wheels after hitting the curbing. Not like the car is like that form cornering; he drove over the curb... I mean I know we can get away with doing that, but...

Quick Reply: EVO IX vs. Porsche Club of America