Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

2008 NASA TT rules FINALLY up!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2008, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh gotcha. I understand the ruling and points addition for tire size, but I did not know that you go off of your base class instead of the class you are competing in. Looks like I will be in TTS then if I want to run R-Compounds. A 265/35/18 street tire is no points then I take it?
Old Jan 1, 2008, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EgoKillerEVO
Oh gotcha. I understand the ruling and points addition for tire size, but I did not know that you go off of your base class instead of the class you are competing in. Looks like I will be in TTS then if I want to run R-Compounds. A 265/35/18 street tire is no points then I take it?
If you run tires that are the same size as your base class, you still take points for the tires, but you dont take additional points for increased tire width. Since our base class is TTB, our base tire size is 265. Anything more than 265 and we take points for increased tire width:

275 = +1
285 = +4
295 = +7
so on and so forth...

So if youre running 275 RA1s, you would take +5 for the RA1s, and +1 for the increased tire width, totaling +6.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, no I got that part. Here are my tire choices...

255/35/18 Toyo R1R 140 treadwear street tire = -1
265/35/18 Toyo RA1 = +5
265/35/18 Toyo R888 = +7

As my car sits right now, I am at 48 points before calculating tires. The lowest I can get down to is 38 points with the 255 street tires and removing some easy stuff like chassis braces, front canards, etc. So now I just have to decide if I want to run TTA on street tires, or TTS on whatever tire I want.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

265/35/18 Toyo RA1 = +5
265/35/18 Toyo R888 = +7

As my car sits right now, I am at 48 points before calculating tires. The lowest I can get down to is 38 points with the 255 street tires and removing some easy stuff like chassis braces, front canards, etc. So now I just have to decide if I want to run TTA on street tires, or TTS on whatever tire I want.
I didn't think there was a 265/35/18 RA1. That size wasn't available in the RA1 last year.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by broeli
I didn't think there was a 265/35/18 RA1. That size wasn't available in the RA1 last year.
Relentless Autosports has a bunch of old RA1s laying around and I thought they were 265/35/18, but I could be wrong. Chances are I will run the street tires or the R888s anyway though.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

265/35/18 Toyo RA1 = +5
265/35/18 Toyo R888 = +7

Yes, with 255 RA1s youll be at +4. (+5 - 1 = +4) If youll be at a +38 with the 255 RA1s, that means without tires youre at a +34. Here are a few other options you can think about.

- Run a +10 category tire in 235. Youll get credited (-7) back points. (+10 - 7 = +3) (+34 + 3 = +37) TTA
- Run a +7 category tire in 245. Youll get credited (-4) back points. (+7 - 4 = +3) (+34 + 3 = +37) TTA

Some people take some really interesting approaches. I know a guy who is running a completely stock STI in TTC. I totally commend him for it. You know how hes in TTC? By running 235 RA1s! The base class for the STI, just like the Evo 9, is TTB. Because he is running 235 RA1s, he gets credited (-7) back points. (+5 - 7 = -2) So, because of that (-2) back points, he falls back a class, and into TTC.

You obviously need to think about what is best for you. I would prefer you run in TTA, this way we can run against each other. The more competition the better/funner it will be. However, you need to figure out what suits you best. What sort of sucks is that you wont know what the competition is going to be like until the season starts. Since both TTS and TTA seem to be doable for you, it might be a good idea to wait it out and see how the season starts off.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Well, the car is being built for Redline TA so I am not going to bend over backwards to fit into a NASA-TT class as I probably will only run a few of the races. I would preferably like to run TTA as there is always a few people in that class and looking at last year's results it seems like there is usually only a few, if any TTS cars.

I have it all worked out to where I can spend ~20 min. in the garage taking off my canards, vortex generator, and a few other small items in order to be TTA legal on 255 street tires. This works best for me for a few reasons. One, it only takes a few minutes to go from "Redline TA mode" to "NASA TT mode." Two the modifications that I will be removing will have little effect on the car's performance. Three, since I am running the Street class at Redline more seat time and fine tuning with the street tires will be beneficial to me. Four, since I will be running only street tires in 2008, I can sell my other set of Enkeis and R-compounds for some extra $$$ .

I don't know how competitive I will be on street tires, but I am always up for a challenge . To me, running NASA TT events is just a more fun alternative to a regular HPDE. I will be using it mostly for testing, tuning, and seat time.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Were pretty much in the same boat, but at opposite ends. Youre setting your car up for Redlines TA, and mine is set up according to NASAs TT series. And, saving money however you can is big time helpful to say the least.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 07:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
I'm trying to figure out where my Evo would be classed in NASA TT and have a few questions about the rules:

Is the stock turbo that came with the car the only turbo that doesn't require a one-off classification by the National PT Director under Section 3? Is there some precedent for how NASA regards a IX turbo on an VIII, the FP white rabbit, FP Green, etc.?

If you have a boost controller, do you take points under both 18 and 19? I have an aftermarket boost controller and my vacuum line to the stock actuator is not stock -- so, 7 points total?

Per 25, it appears that there are points assessed for a water/alky system, but I don't see points assess for race gas? Do I understand that correctly?

If you have a catless TBE, is that 2 points under 29 and 1 under 31?

If I use aftermarket rear control arms that keep the stock geometry, do I need to take points under both 22 and 7, or just 22?

If I have an RS and use an OEM rear deck Evo spoiler, do I need to take points for that?

Thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2008, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Some of the questions you are asking are a bit case sensitive. It is always best to ask your Regional director, if not, Greg G. who is the National director. Why? Because they are the ones who are going to give you the approval. Either way, ill try to give you my perspective. However, i cant access the rules from where im at, so i wont be able to quote the rules verbatim.

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
I'm trying to figure out where my Evo would be classed in NASA TT and have a few questions about the rules:

Is the stock turbo that came with the car the only turbo that doesn't require a one-off classification by the National PT Director under Section 3? Is there some precedent for how NASA regards a IX turbo on an VIII, the FP white rabbit, FP Green, etc.?
With the FP green, from what i have been told, you will be re-classed into TTA. Its a bit more complicated than that because they use some equation to level out the hp limits. As far as the Evo 8 with an Evo 9 turbo, im not sure. Either way, my best guess is that you will be re-classed into TTB if the Evo 8 in question is the TTC** one.

If you have a boost controller, do you take points under both 18 and 19? I have an aftermarket boost controller and my vacuum line to the stock actuator is not stock -- so, 7 points total?
Here is what Greg said regarding 18/19 about a week ago in the NASA forum:

"Unless you changed/added a boost controller, and changed the vacuum lines (that are written into #18), and ALSO changed out the wastegate actuator or altered the wastegate itself. Since you can alter the vacuum lines in #18, you would not take a double assessment for them by also taking # 19. However, if you have both a boost controller, and aftermarket wastegate actuator, you would take the +7."

Per 25, it appears that there are points assessed for a water/alky system, but I don't see points assess for race gas? Do I understand that correctly?
Im not exactly sure what youre asking. However, we dont take points for race gas, ie 100 octane and what not.

If you have a catless TBE, is that 2 points under 29 and 1 under 31?
TBE is +3. Again, i dont have the rules so im not sure which one is 29, and which one is 31.

If I use aftermarket rear control arms that keep the stock geometry, do I need to take points under both 22 and 7, or just 22?
Not sure. And again, since i dont have the rules i dont know what 22 and 7 are exactly. Better to ask your regional director.

If I have an RS and use an OEM rear deck Evo spoiler, do I need to take points for that?
I would guess that you would have to take the points. IIRC there is a section on the top of page 2 that covers this. It is in bold face, and iirc it starts off something like this, "For purpose of NASA TT points assessments, the term OEM will be defined as follows..."
Old Jan 3, 2008, 08:47 AM
DTM
Account Disabled

As the communist world turns.......
Why don't they just change the name to SCCA.....
Interesting changes to say the least.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 07:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Is there any restriction on tire width in TTS? I see that the rule form gives you a more favorable max weight to power ratio with 250-275 width and 245 or smaller, but the form seems silent about larger than 275. Can you run as wide as you want but you just don't get any additional headroom in the HP department?

Thanks.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You get the max penalty at 275 but nothing beyond that unless they are full slicks.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Clay, the way I read the form there isn't a "penalty" for 275. There is a benefit to running 250-275 (+ .4) and even more of a benefit to running 245 or less (+ .8). There is only a penalty for non-DOT tires (-.75).

I just want to make sure that you can run DOTs larger than 275 and the fact that they aren't addressed explicitly isn't somehow indicative of them being not allowed in the class.

EDIT: I just checked the rules again (not the form, but the actual rules) and tire and wheel size is unlimited in TTS, so that answers that question!

Last edited by EVO8LTW; Jan 18, 2008 at 11:01 AM.