Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

F Prepared Solo 2 Evolution VIII

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those interested I just heard that the Evo IX has been classified in FP (same line as Evo VIII). A future fastrack should make it official.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by slicedbreadno2
I think you guys are crazy to do that to a 30k vehicle.
One doen't participate in motorsport because it is a cost effect hobby....
Old Oct 4, 2008, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

Any pics of the engine bay? Curious what your exhaust looks like, along with how you mounted the hood. Thanks.

Dennis
Old Oct 5, 2008, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm traveling in CA on business until Saturday, but will take a couple of pictures when I get home for ya. It's actually very simple. I bought a new exhaust flange to bolt up to the O2 housing and a couple of 90 deg, 3" stainless tubing pieces, along with a 6" long Dynatech race muffler. The pipe immediately starts a 90 deg bend when it exits the O2 housing to maintain sufficient ground clearance for the muffler and room to turn down the pipe end. The oil cooler needs to be removed or relocated to make room.

Here are a few still pictures from the youtube clip. It not any louder than most of the Evo 3" performance exhaust systems out there.

Mark

Originally Posted by ReSin
Any pics of the engine bay? Curious what your exhaust looks like, along with how you mounted the hood. Thanks.

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails F Prepared Solo 2 Evolution VIII-exhaust1.jpg   F Prepared Solo 2 Evolution VIII-exhaust2.jpg   F Prepared Solo 2 Evolution VIII-exhaust3.jpg  
Old Oct 8, 2008, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks Mark.

Dennis
Old Oct 15, 2008, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

OK, I have aero on my car such as splitter, diffuser, canards etc, I thought it was legal in SM? Confused how you got bumped to XP/FP level? Was it the lexan glass?
Old Oct 15, 2008, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoIXMR
OK, I have aero on my car such as splitter, diffuser, canards etc, I thought it was legal in SM? Confused how you got bumped to XP/FP level? Was it the lexan glass?
Short answer: Lexan was a small part of the difference.

Long answer: I didn't get bumped, but rather purposefully built an FP car. Prepared category rules are a standalone different set of rules that don't add on to those mods permitted in STU, BSP or SM. XP permits aero work as does SM, though I don't know if the aero rules are identical. FP does not permit aero work and requires a basically stock bore/stroke motor. Turbos require a restrictor on the compressor inlet. SM and XP let you use stroker motors. In fact XP lets you use anything for a motor, I believe, since there are people running BMWs with Corvette V8s. Prepared classes also let you use roadrace slicks that are not permitted in BSP or SM. Slicks (not R-compounds) were an advantage when we raced on concrete like Forbes Field, but offer no advantage on a surface like HPT. This has made times in Prepared classes very close to (or slower than, if it was cold) those in Street Prepared over the past couple of years at HPT for Nationals.

Hope this helps.

Mark
Old Oct 15, 2008, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Mark - thanks, but you are way over my head with that sorta talk...ha ha.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

Very very impressive build!

The top AutoX guys out here in the Middle East like to go a similar route - full stripping out of the interior, one race seat, bare shell doors, lexan windows, lots of hydraulic handbrakes etc. but I haven't seen anyone go as far as removing the entire dash yet! I like the way you guys went to far as to drill out parts of the car too, as well as the exhaust removal. Very creative and I'm sure it'll pay off.

I'd love to know where one might get a carbon hood and trunk like that too - i.e. something truly lightweight as heck and not all this multiple cleaarcoated bling bling stuff.

Also, given the Evo's front-heavy weight distribution, curious waht other measures have been explored to lighten the engine end of the car - I've been thinking along the lines of a lighter weight radiator, tubular headers, sheet metal intake, carbon battery relocated to the trunk etc. as much for weight savings as for power.

This is likely going to be the direction I head with my car in time as I manage to pay off the financing on it - when its all mine it's getting stripped out to the max.

The rules out here are different from the US - you're either Stock or Modified, no STU, BSP, SM or similar in between stages for us!!! And the guys at the top are very serious indeed.

Thanks for sharing about your build, very informative!
Old Oct 27, 2008, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ReSin

Dennis
I forgot to let you know that I posted more pictures of the exhaust and underhood area at this link:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...202287&page=23

You can see the DZUS fastener mountings across the front and sides of the engine compartment. Mounting these things is not a beginner project. I had it done by my experienced fab shop (JANCO). It takes someone who knows what they are doing to get the hood mounted securely for high speed and be flush with the fenders.

I've seen another hood mounted with too few fasteners and at high speed the center bowed up and looked like a sail. To prevent this I used DZUS fasteners at each front corner, two in the front center, one on each rear corner, one on each side mid-way up, and one in the rear center. You can imagine how much "fun" it was to get all of the underside pieces welded/riveted at the correct height and angle to fit flush with the contours of the Evo hood skin.

Mark
Old Nov 1, 2008, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

Bumping this thread since a 1000kg Evo is an acheivement not to be take lightly (no pun intended). Feeling tempted to emulate, although street legality in unfortunately a concern (no problems caging though).

Again, very impressive work and craftmanship on this little project
Old Nov 2, 2008, 06:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Impressive would be an understatement!
Old May 30, 2009, 10:26 PM

Any new updates on this car?
Old May 31, 2009, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RedDragonAUS
Any new updates on this car?
Didn't do as much as I wanted over the winter, but was able to install an aluminum driveshaft, rear suspension arms with adjustable pieces to make things easier to adjust rear toe/camber, and get a smaller steering wheel. Also had some trailing arms made to allow narrowing the rear track a bit. The few events we've run this year, we've been experimenting with various tire pressures in the Hoosier R35A slicks. I'll try some softer springs (460) at the mid-June SCCA event to see how this feels. I'm thinking the rears (630) are a bit stiff for a 2300lb (+100lb of ballast) Evo.

I have a few more things ready and waiting install (Alu roof, more Lexan, battery relocation, etc) to get weight down to 2250lb, but will wait for winter to do the install. Right now we need to stop changes and focus on driving this thing to be ready for Nationals in September. The car's acceleration on the high boost program was so quick, that I had COBB Tuning put the car back on the dyno last week and create two lower boost, flat torque curves - 21 psi & 25 psi in my COBB AccessPort. The 29 psi is still available but really isn't necessary and actually seems to unsettle the light Evo.

Most of my time (and money) has gone into purchasing a used RV tow vehicle and enclosed trailer to haul things now that the car is no longer a daily driver. My vehicle inspection expires today, so a car show yesterday will be the last time I drive the Evo on the street. Here's a quick picture below of how it looked at the last event with a few more sponsor stickers courtesy of the super nice guys at COBB Tuning, Forced Performance, and Vorshlag Motorsports. Special thanks always to Don Herring Mitsubishi for all the help he gives me and his support of the North Texas Evo Club. Don Herring Jr. personally attends every monthly NTEC club meeting! I'll bet there's not another dealer general manager that shows this kind of commitment to local Evo enthusiasts.

That's it for now.

Cheers,
Mark

<Edit> Added a couple more pictures.
Attached Thumbnails F Prepared Solo 2 Evolution VIII-evofp0409.jpg   F Prepared Solo 2 Evolution VIII-fpevo2.jpg   F Prepared Solo 2 Evolution VIII-fpevo3.jpg  

Last edited by Evo8RA; Jun 1, 2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old May 31, 2009, 10:33 PM

wow, that one sweet Evo!

Quick Reply: F Prepared Solo 2 Evolution VIII