Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

did anyone put EVO IN WIND TUNNEL??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2009, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you think if i put front bumper canards is it gonna help?anyone has them installed?how is it?is it noticable?
Old Mar 26, 2009, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To answer your topic. Yes, Mitsubishi did when developing the car. Yes, canards help but unless you do a lot of road races you won't notice much of a difference.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ejw2202
to answer your topic. Yes, mitsubishi did when developing the car. Yes, canards help but unless you do a lot of road races you won't notice much of a difference.
yea i now that mitsu did,but i wanted to see some pics from it,or even a video.
I allready has them at home, apr cf canards but im not sure how to install them correctly ,i mean the angle and the room between the other one.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by MYEVOVIII
Here's an old one I have on my comp at work.
Not an actual wind tunnel, not even CFD. Just some art.

Originally Posted by Chabada15
just out of curiosity anyone know what they use for the white stream? like what exactly it is?
Most use burning anti-freeze to make the smoke and it definitely does leave a residue. What most people don't understand is the smoke really doesn't do much for you. You can only use it at very low speeds because someone has to stand in the tunnel with a wand blowing the smoke. At these speeds differences are not always apparent.

Really you are just looking at VR #'s for improvements from one setup to another. You sit in the control room and look at a tv screen. if you didn't know the fans were running you think it was just sitting in a garage.

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Is that the A2 tunnel in NC? I'm planning on taking my car down there this spring. If you don't mind I'd love to hear about your experience and how they were to deal with. Did you guys do any parts swapping or testing, or just to get a baseline for the car. . .

PM me if you don't want to muddy up this thread. . . Thanks!!

EVOlutionary
I can't see switzers photos but, the guy who owns A2 (Gary) used to work at Hendrick. He's a pretty good guy.

If you plan on doing any model changes while in the tunnel I'd make sure to make the pieces as easy to change over from one setup to another as possible and test fit each before hand. There generally isn't much down time from one run to the next.

Last edited by hotrod2448; Mar 26, 2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 03:49 AM
Evolved Member

A few years back an Evo was being transported to a race track on a open trailer. A tractor trailer lost a recap tire in front of the Evo rig. A piece of the recap tire flew over and hit the Evo's rear wing. The wing was broken into two peices. Once at the track they tried repeatably to hold the wing together with duct tape and wood. Then even tried a strip of aluminum. Nothing they tried would hold the wing from collapsing once the Evo was at speed on the track. That was a stock wing without the gurney strip. They were very surprised how much down force the wing was subjected to.....
Old Mar 27, 2009, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apex electric
A few years back an Evo was being transported to a race track on a open trailer. A tractor trailer lost a recap tire in front of the Evo rig. A piece of the recap tire flew over and hit the Evo's rear wing. The wing was broken into two peices. Once at the track they tried repeatably to hold the wing together with duct tape and wood. Then even tried a strip of aluminum. Nothing they tried would hold the wing from collapsing once the Evo was at speed on the track. That was a stock wing without the gurney strip. They were very surprised how much down force the wing was subjected to.....
Hmmm, interesting find/experiment.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 06:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by apex electric
Stick your hand out of the window at 80mph and you'd realize an idea such as that would never, ever work properly without it collapsing.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

i know,but even the evos have the wing i still thing the aerodynamics could be done better,with undertray,fron lip,vg,and some rear diffuser (nothing big like ferrari )but something like is the undertray just at the rear.
many people gain lots of horsepower and drive fast but the car is made to be stock with the aerodynamics from the factory,so when somebody tunes his car i think he should do also some stuff the to body.
if im wrong correct me please
Old Mar 27, 2009, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

you may be interested in this then
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...olution-x.html
Old Mar 27, 2009, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NZEvox
you may be interested in this then
]
thats cool.thanks.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 12:50 PM

I just wanted to add that in wind tunnel testing they pretty much use the same smoke from smoke machines and they have a device in the wind tunnel to release the smoke, not some dumbass trying to stand up with it running putting smoke in the path of the car. The evo have negative pressure under the car creating suction effectively pulling the car down the faster you go. Like a f1 car just not to there extent. The wing does add downforce to the rear of the car, the reason drag racers take off the wing is weight and the extra drag from the wing is not cost effective enough for them to keep it. The votex generator was designed to more accurately direct airflow over the rear wing. Sorry most was arleady said but I wanted to add some more info.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by punker462606
I just wanted to add that in wind tunnel testing they pretty much use the same smoke from smoke machines and they have a device in the wind tunnel to release the smoke, not some dumbass trying to stand up with it running putting smoke in the path of the car. The evo have negative pressure under the car creating suction effectively pulling the car down the faster you go. Like a f1 car just not to there extent. The wing does add downforce to the rear of the car, the reason drag racers take off the wing is weight and the extra drag from the wing is not cost effective enough for them to keep it. The votex generator was designed to more accurately direct airflow over the rear wing. Sorry most was arleady said but I wanted to add some more info.
yeah,,like you said thats true.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by punker462606
I just wanted to add that in wind tunnel testing they pretty much use the same smoke from smoke machines and they have a device in the wind tunnel to release the smoke, not some dumbass trying to stand up with it running putting smoke in the path of the car.
No. Actually there is almost always some dumbass in there with a wand putting the smoke that isn't from a party smoke machine where you want to "see" the airflow while it's running.

I know because I've been that dumbass. That's why I was saying earlier you can only do the smoke at low speeds and it is essentially useless.

Last edited by hotrod2448; Apr 9, 2009 at 07:36 AM.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 07:28 AM

I'm under the impression that the vortex generators trip the boundry layer from laminar to turbulent, and therefore allowed the boundry layer to stay attached at the roof/rear window transition.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Don't know the exact terminology - but yes, it helps the air stay attached and turn down the back glass and follow it more closely. This directs more air under the wing - increasing the effectiveness of the wing. . .

Without the wing it would just reduce drag a little bit. . .