Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

T-bolt hose clamps legal in stu?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2009, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Silencer
Yes, T-bolt clamps for all hoses are legal for STU/BSP.

Dave
I agree, they have been legal in the past and it's more of a safety issue. I've seen a friend hose pop off during a run and it was pretty scary for him ...
Old Apr 10, 2009, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
isn't it also a safety issue if a rod comes through my block while on course if I don't replace my rod bolts with arp versions? I mean just think how long an event is delayed while they clean up all the oil.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by scca rules
"13. STOCK CATEGORY

Hardware items (nuts, bolts, etc.) may be replaced by similar items of unrestricted origin. Safety wire, threadlocker compounds, and locking nuts are permitted. These allowances are strictly to allow components to be replaced from alternate sources other than the original manufacturer. They should not be construed as an allowance to replace components with those which could be considered a ‘higher performance’ alternative."
Personally i would bold a different part of that rule.

if the T-bolt clamps aren't considered a "higher performance alternative" then why bother putting them on?
Old Apr 10, 2009, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't argue that it is a safety OR performance issue. The worm gear clamps hold just fine for stock boost levels. They are a pain in the *** to remove and replace often because they break. What then, do you have to go by "mitsubishi" clamps?

Since the point of the clamp is to hold as tight as possible, I would still say they are legal under the nuts/bolts rules. Of course everyone is entitled to a different interpretation.

I say this even though I use the stock wormgear clamps.

d
Old Apr 11, 2009, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by griceiv
isn't it also a safety issue if a rod comes through my block while on course if I don't replace my rod bolts with arp versions? I mean just think how long an event is delayed while they clean up all the oil.
Haha ... but Street Prepared and higher are allowed to increase boost and running ARP head studs allows you guys to run more boost safely which is a preformance advantage. You have the choice to run higher or lower boost to push the edges of safety. STU no boost modification allowed (except via exhaust), which we really have no control over (not counting the boost creepies) ... Having a hose pop off during a run and losing the run when you have no control of the issue is different.

Ultimately Silencer has already clarified this issue in the past via email. I remember reading about it. Plus anyone who is even thinking about protesting this is the biggest wiennie EVA!
Old Apr 13, 2009, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by griceiv
Personally i would bold a different part of that rule.

if the T-bolt clamps aren't considered a "higher performance alternative" then why bother putting them on?
Here, let me help.

"13. STOCK CATEGORY

Hardware items (nuts, bolts, etc.) may be replaced by similar items of unrestricted origin. Safety wire, threadlocker compounds, and locking nuts are permitted. These allowances are strictly to allow components to be replaced from alternate sources other than the original manufacturer. They should not be construed as an allowance to replace components with those which could be considered a ‘higher performance’ alternative."

Would you consider these a "higher performance alternative"? If not, why bother putting them in the rules.

Could it be for the reason of safety?, no way.

Dave

Last edited by Silencer; Apr 13, 2009 at 08:15 AM.