Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Autocross-Oil Burning/Check Engine light

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2003, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Autocross-Oil Burning/Check Engine light

This is one for the cone heads. At an autocross today, at the start of my 4th run, lots of oil smoke coming off the start line (looked like I was trying to run mosquitos off). Burned some more off sitting at idle, but then no more, even on the next run. On the way home, CEL pops on but car is running normal. No strange sounds, pops, cracks, etc.

Last time this happened, the car had a bad idle air control valve. Same oil smoke too, but only after some rather harsh cornering in an autocross.

Any one else have this happen?!? I know this could be troubleshooting, but I think it is related to autocrossing and a lack of baffles in the oil pan. Thanks all.

Jason
Old Oct 5, 2003, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Ive autocrossed a few times, never had any issue with the smoke you describe. I would look past it but your check engine light came on.

Go to auto zone or one of those kinds of places and ask them to pull the code for your check engine light. They will be able to tell you at least why the light is on, and for free too.....
Old Oct 6, 2003, 03:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've run a bunch of autocrosses with the car and haven't run into any such issues. To the best of my knowledge, neither have any of the other Evos that AX around here. Stinky clutch - yes, tire smoke - maybe, oil smoke - nope, not yet anyway...

JW
Old Oct 6, 2003, 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

I wonder if the high g loads kept the oil from draining adequately and lead to an accumulation up in the head, drowning the PCV and sucking oil into the intake. Don't know about the CEL.
Old Oct 6, 2003, 08:29 AM

I had the check engine light on after my first run yesterday and it didn't go off until I let the car rest for a few minutes with the ignition off.

On my first run I had a total of four people in the car. I always like to start off my autocross event with a bang. I even got the STI I race to take a carload on his first run as well. The air temp was around 45 degrees out on an already very slippery surface. Anyway, I went over the rise to a nice sharp right hand turn and spun the car in a 180 at about 60 miles an hour. I think we slid for about 50 yards. All my passengers, now know as the crash test dummies, loved the ride. The car was filled with cloud of dust and dead grass. I'm glad I cleaned it to a spotless condition before the event.

My engine stalled and did not want to start right away. When it did start, the check engine light came on. I'm thinking that I may have stalled the engine in the spin and actually turned the engine counter clockwise a few rotations and confused the ECU.

After a few runs, I turned the engine off for a few minutes and the check engine light was off. At no time did the car run bad.

Tristar Racing - Thanks for the info about going to Auto Zone, I was dreading going to the dealer to see why my check engine light was on. I'm glad it went off before I had to get it checked out.

I wish I could report that I won the event, but the results are not posted yet. There was a report of a late cone call on the STI's last run. If his last run stands, he beat me for first place by.3 seconds. If not, I won the event. We had 2 STIs, 2 Evos and a 435 HP vette running in A Stock. The vette wasn't stock but it was his first event and he was on street tires so we let him run with us.
Old Oct 6, 2003, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

I believe, and correct me if Im wrong, that you can still pull codes on a check engine light even after it has gone out. Badbus, do a little experiment for all of us, if you have time see if an Autozone type place can pull the code on your check engine light even though its not on right now. Im interested.......

If not maybe Ill have to go cause a cel to pop up on my car, have it go off, then see if the codes are still availible....
Old Oct 6, 2003, 08:45 AM

No problem, I'll try to get to Auto Zone in the next few days. I'll let you know what I find out.
Old Oct 6, 2003, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

Cool

I didn't think about oil accumulating in the head. Urbanknight set me on to a hose that comes off the block and leads to the intake, but I cannot confirm if that is the problem. The PCV could suck up extra oil in the head.

The last time these symptoms came up, I had a bad idle air control valve. I am betting oil gets sucked from somewhere and ruins the valve. I will find out from the Mitsu dealer tomorrow. I still have lots of warranty left.

Thanks for all the ideas-keep them coming.

Jason
Old Oct 6, 2003, 02:06 PM

I called Auto Zone and they told me thay can read error codes only if they are currently occuring. The man told me to bring my car down if my check engine light appears but he can not read past error codes.
Old Oct 7, 2003, 12:26 AM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like it's the same thing you described as happening before. Also wondering if it's possible for us to blow out the first cat, since our cars aren't meant to be run that hard. But see if it's what you think, and let us know. Also, ask them about that one vacuum line. Probably not related at all, but would be worth asking, since it is a $15 fix if it would help anything at all.
Old Oct 7, 2003, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Typical dealership response today. The throttle position sensor needed adjusted? I don't buy it , and they really don't know why it would be burning oil, since it is not today. The key here is that I cannot decide if I want to let them in on the autocross use of the car. I fear they will pull out some disclaimer of warranty if the car is used for competition. They did reset the ECU and the CEL is out, for now.

Thanks for the input. Anyone have any dealings with warranty work after autocrossing/road racing? I would like to hear about anyone's experiences.

Later...

Jason
Old Oct 7, 2003, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by jason33hs
Thanks for the input. Anyone have any dealings with warranty work after autocrossing/road racing? I would like to hear about anyone's experiences.

Later...

Jason
i've heard EVO's getting "busted" at the drag strip..not too sure about autox though