Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

AMS/NOS Energy Drink Pikes Peak International Hillclimb Car - 2009 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2009, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveK
Not too sure, but if my gear calculations & final drive on this box are correct, the box will do 158mph in 5th gear at 7,800rpm on stock sized tires. I think Paul G. clocked 170mph in TA-1 in one of the AMS videos. AMS recommends a 7,800rpm redline on thier standard 2.3L stroker for road race use, but not sure if TA-1 might've pushed their redline up a bit.

Dave
Cool. Ya paul did that at VIR I think, didn't they have the RR 8500rpm motor at that point? Though, at your altitude, I'd be half willing to throw a NOS port on the runners and let that baby spool like nobody's business It'd last a few corners, right?
Old Jun 17, 2009, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great build! Good luck!!!

-Jalal
Old Jun 17, 2009, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Some Video classic research for ya Dave, this is what we fully expect!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKgeCQGu_ug
Old Jun 17, 2009, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ Always loved that Video and all the other ones are great too in here
Old Jun 17, 2009, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The week after the new parts were installed, we were scheduled to race in the Tumbleweed Express, a 30ish mile rally-sprint sanctioned by Rally America. Living in Colorado certainly has its benefits, but predictable springtime weather isn't one of them. The day before the event weather forcasters were calling for a massive blizzard, and many of the volunteer EMTs were called into work. With no safety crew, there's no event.

A few weeks after that was our first hillclimb of the year, Temple Canyon. Wanting to get in a good shakedown to make sure nothing was going to come loose, I headed out to our local test track, Colorado Off Road Extreme. The shakedown sessing went pretty well, with only one little issue. It turned out we had a bad 5-bar map sensor, but a quick change to a spare had us back up and in business. Here's a short video I put together with some of the footage I captured. The suction cups on my camera mount kept popping off on hard corners, so I didn't have much footage to work with. The high-speed run at the end had us topping out around 126 according to the ECU datalogs, but I think we're a bit lower than that b/c of the lower 5th gear that's in the car.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails AMS/NOS Energy Drink Pikes Peak International Hillclimb Car - 2009 Edition-core-close-up.jpg   AMS/NOS Energy Drink Pikes Peak International Hillclimb Car - 2009 Edition-core-dust.jpg  
Old Jun 17, 2009, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

Bad *** looks like you've been havin fun with that sick EVO setup
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:01 AM
Evolved Member

Some of you with a sharp eye might notice something in the above pics...the hood not fitting quite as good as it used to When I first got the car back from Chicago, I was excited to take Allison out for a spin. Unfortunately I forgot to double check that the hood pins were closed, and they weren't. As we were getting on the highway, the hood came up and took out the windshield. It also broke the hood pretty good, but not so bad that it wasn't useable anymore. As a matter of fact, we've raced with it for 3 events now and not a hint of trouble...but it doesn't look too good.

So, the search was on for a replacement, and I figured, if I'm going to replace it, might as well upgrade, right? The old hood was made by VIS, and it was a bit of a tank, weighing in at 22 lbs, or so I'm told. AMS & Fiber Images to the rescue with a super clean 6 lb hood. While I was at it, I also ordered up a matching 6 lb trunk lid. Both parts have arrived, but I've yet to install them. Quality on the parts looks top notch, and I can say without a doubt, they're light!

I need to order two new hood brackets, as the ones on the car appear to be bent a bit. The old hood closed with them like that, but it was a bit of a struggle getting the pins to line up with the holes. With the new hood so light, I don't want to force it or tweak it to make it work. I'm hoping to find some time this weekend to get the new parts on the car and will snap pics then. If the 'as advertised' weights are correct, I'll be shedding more than 25 lbs from the car with these two parts.

Dave
Old Jun 18, 2009, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveK
I was excited to take Allison out for a spin. Unfortunately I forgot to double check that the hood pins were closed, and they weren't. As we were getting on the highway, the hood came up and took out the windshield.
Welcome to the friggin' club . It's happened to me twice. Once after working on the GTX rally car for two days straight and being excited to go for a quick test drive. Then the second time was working on the VW GTI rally car, same deal - just a quick test drive. The hood always went up when you hit the power in 2nd gear.

Good times
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:05 PM
Former Sponsor

I'm guilty of making that mistake too. Imagine it happening while accelerating very hard in 2nd gear in a 1300 hp car!
Old Jun 25, 2009, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Just got pics of the new wing element.

Other announcements coming soon!

Dave
Attached Thumbnails AMS/NOS Energy Drink Pikes Peak International Hillclimb Car - 2009 Edition-dhp-wing-1.jpg   AMS/NOS Energy Drink Pikes Peak International Hillclimb Car - 2009 Edition-dhp-wing-2.jpg  
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

I like that one a bit better then your current one ., which I think a couple other people have. My concern from just looking, is how stiff are the CF sides that hold the wing up? Because they don't "look" like they can transmit 100+lbs of force like they need to...looks like they'd flex a bit before hand (even a few mm)?

Last edited by Balrok; Jun 25, 2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

The sideplates on this wing are just sideplates. This wing will actually attach to 12" tall supports somewhere along the wing element, rather than on the edges like the V1 wing. The supports will actually bolt to the car, not the trunk.

Hopefully David can chime in with all the pros & cons of this type of wing vs. the V1. The two that stuck out in my mind were:

more downforce
less drag

Dave
Old Jun 25, 2009, 12:36 PM

We have ended up mounting the wing via two vertical pieces of aluminum that is internally bonded to the wing. This piece sticks out the bottom of the wing, on David’s car they are 52" apart and the endplates are just that endplates.

The mounting we did on V1 through the endplates is by far the best aerodynamically but one of the worst structurally since the downforce tends to pull the wing away from the endplates / mounts.

From the Testing we did on the multi element wings we found a huge decrease in drag and quite a bit of downforce gain over the previous single element. We have the capabilities of doing this again with a 3 element wing but that design would have to be balanced with the rest of the cars aerodynamics.

David best of luck in PPIHC 2009 we are all pulling for you!
Old Jun 25, 2009, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dhpcomposites
We have the capabilities of doing this again with a 3 element wing but that design would have to be balanced with the rest of the cars aerodynamics.
Crap! I knew there was "boost crack" to be aware of getting addicted to (and I have the addiction)...now there's "aerodynamic crack" too.

Originally Posted by dhpcomposites
David best of luck in PPIHC 2009 we are all pulling for you!
Thanks...but its more like you're pushing (down on the back end of the car that is). I can't wait to see it!

Dave
Old Jun 25, 2009, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Nice Dave!

Quick Reply: AMS/NOS Energy Drink Pikes Peak International Hillclimb Car - 2009 Edition