Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

AMS/NOS Energy Drink Pikes Peak International Hillclimb Car - 2009 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2009, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick update (more details tomorrow):

Had the car out to PMI this afternoon. Recorded my highest speed in a car ever at ~150mph. Car ran well, but had some brake issues with the facory Brembos not liking excessive LFB'ing. Temps track side were ~100, and the car was the only one out there not having major overheating issues.

Dave
Old Jul 10, 2009, 11:18 PM

If you don't mind, heres my 2 cents worth.

1.5mm camber rear is plenty. I am told too much will cause snap oversteer which is what I had at 2.5 deg. The rear guards pump out reasonably easy. I am running 18x9 ET25 with a 5mm spacer and 1.5 deg and they sit in ok.

Brakes - if you are overheating the fronts, check the rears. A couple of race cars over here running the same brake compound all round have set the fronts on fire! We fitted a softer rear pad and they were fine. The problem was that the rears were getting no heat therefore making the fronts over work. Not saying its your problem but something to keep in mind. Brake paint will tell you the answer.

Fuel pump - I am no expert on this, Infact I am not really an expert on anything . I am sure there was a race car over here that had inline fuel pumps but when one packed up it restricted the flow to the other causing a DNF. May be something to consider
Old Jul 11, 2009, 09:18 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dave,

how do you like the radiator?

that is our thinnest radiator... proving what we say...in regards to rads, thicker isnt always better.

cb
Old Jul 12, 2009, 08:13 PM

Im still shocked out of everybody out there that you were the only one who didn't overheat! Especially with that badass CBRD radiator! being so thin I thought for sure your evo would see some high temps! E-85 + CBRD Radiator FTW!

ps im proud of your new Brownbows you created on the track HAHA
Old Jul 13, 2009, 07:40 AM
Account Disabled

Dave,

please give me some feedback when you can...

this is the smallest of the 3 rads... so im curious on how you felt it performed...

the double pass would do even better.

cb
Old Jul 13, 2009, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Chad - this was my first time with the Evo on the track so I don't have much to compare to. I had intended on datalogging all my sessions, but somehow I forgot to charge up the laptop before heading out to the track and didn't bring the power cord.

Ambient temps were ~95-100, with track temp probably a bit higher. I was driving more in 'time attack style,' only going out for 3ish laps at a time. On the first session we saw temps as high as 185, and on the second session we saw temps climb to 195. That was all we were able to log. On my last session of the day, I did see the needle on the dash move upwards just a tick past 9-o'clock, but I don't know what that corresponds to temp wise.

All in all, the radiator seems to work well, and if you're getting questions from people about its suitability for DD use on a high HP car (since its thinner than OEM), I'd say you've got nothing to worry about.

Any word on the double pass?
Dave
Old Jul 13, 2009, 09:58 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by DaveK
Chad - this was my first time with the Evo on the track so I don't have much to compare to. I had intended on datalogging all my sessions, but somehow I forgot to charge up the laptop before heading out to the track and didn't bring the power cord.

Ambient temps were ~95-100, with track temp probably a bit higher. I was driving more in 'time attack style,' only going out for 3ish laps at a time. On the first session we saw temps as high as 185, and on the second session we saw temps climb to 195. That was all we were able to log. On my last session of the day, I did see the needle on the dash move upwards just a tick past 9-o'clock, but I don't know what that corresponds to temp wise.

All in all, the radiator seems to work well, and if you're getting questions from people about its suitability for DD use on a high HP car (since its thinner than OEM), I'd say you've got nothing to worry about.

Any word on the double pass?
Dave
Dave,

working on that now (core supply issues )

cb
Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dave - What's happening at the hill?

I saw posts looking for Mivec solenoids. You always break something there, last year it was a transfer case or something

Make sure you put enough VTEC fluid in that thing.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Last edited by jid2; Jul 17, 2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

At the beginning of your post I was thinking....wonder how that new ford did. Answer received.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's more than one Fiesta...Gronholm's driving one. Looks lke the crashed one is Andreas Eriksson's car

Last edited by zbomb; Jul 17, 2009 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Sp.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

They said the damage was mostly body work. I believe they are getting it fixed and they'll be running again. I also heard they are having tuning issues due to the elevation. Gronholm said they have no power under 5000K.

Dave K said the 35R he put on is laggy coming out of the corners on the steep grades, but when the power hits it's serious. I guess he fixed the mivec issue, but found a boost leak and 3rd gear was a little weird feeling. Twitter is lame, but uses for this type of stuff

Go get em Dave.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Gotta get that anti-lag workin
Old Jul 17, 2009, 12:22 PM

Last edited by CRCrallyhoodlum; Jul 17, 2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Cant wait for sunday. Hopefully they get that second fiesta back up and running, and good luck Dave!

Quick Reply: AMS/NOS Energy Drink Pikes Peak International Hillclimb Car - 2009 Edition