Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

AMS/NOS Energy Drink Pikes Peak International Hillclimb Car - 2009 Edition

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2009, 04:08 PM
Silver Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very cool stuff. I'm trying to get a Bulletproof road trip together and be there for the 'climb this year.

DHP, is your test virtual or physical? Full-scale? On the car or in free stream? Nice to see some actual testing being done in any case.
-Patrick
Email: sales@bulletproofautomotive.com
Direct North American Dealers for Voltex, Mines, Varis, First Molding, HKS Kansai, Cusco, HKS, Advan, Volk, Ings+1, C-West, Work, and so much more...
Old Jun 25, 2009, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveK
The sideplates on this wing are just sideplates. This wing will actually attach to 12" tall supports somewhere along the wing element, rather than on the edges like the V1 wing. The supports will actually bolt to the car, not the trunk.

Hopefully David can chime in with all the pros & cons of this type of wing vs. the V1. The two that stuck out in my mind were:

more downforce
less drag

Dave
Ah, I wasn't referring to the sideplates of v2, i was referring to the whole side/mount of V1 as he described. Sorry lol.

Hook us up with some pics once you get her on! DHP David, love your work and thanks for chiming in. I fully plan on getting aero from you for my Nasa super touring car one of these days when I have a spare dollar

Last edited by Balrok; Jun 25, 2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BPAuto
Very cool stuff. I'm trying to get a Bulletproof road trip together and be there for the 'climb this year.

DHP, is your test virtual or physical? Full-scale? On the car or in free stream? Nice to see some actual testing being done in any case.
-Patrick
BPAuto - Testing is Physical, full scale on chord length but scaled down width. We have a smaller windtunnel at a local college and have modified the designs for the elements and also the positioning of the second and third elements. This was done with the wing section only not with a car. Looking at putting the whole car with the V2 wing and V4 undertray this winter into a tunnel so we can fully confirm / tweak everything.

Balrok - Thanks for the kind words and look forward to working with you one day

Dave K - Think you will be really impressed with the downforce and how the drag is significantly reduced this year.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dhpcomposites
BPAuto - Testing is Physical, full scale on chord length but scaled down width. We have a smaller windtunnel at a local college and have modified the designs for the elements and also the positioning of the second and third elements. This was done with the wing section only not with a car. Looking at putting the whole car with the V2 wing and V4 undertray this winter into a tunnel so we can fully confirm / tweak everything.

Balrok - Thanks for the kind words and look forward to working with you one day

Dave K - Think you will be really impressed with the downforce and how the drag is significantly reduced this year.
Do you guys have a tray that has naca ducts for brakes yet? Part of my plan is to use the pressure under the car in the tray as feed for the cooling ducts. Same story for the rear but the rear would be different - prolly some other form of scoop besides a naca.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 10:10 AM

Balrok - That is a simple addition wouldnt charge you much for that just price for Naca Ducts. Our design is used as a "template" and is then modiifed for each customers specifications.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 11:41 PM

Would be keen on some details on the Motec MDC. Especially on the tarmac. You said the changes were big. In what way?
Old Jun 28, 2009, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

Basic wise, Technically the aftermarket ADC ECU's all provide more "pressure" to the rear diff so it "locks" up more then it normally would. It's the same deal with TRE's rear diff service, he gives you bigger discs so it grabs more, sooner. However with ones like the MDC you can tune it to how much lock (pressure) you want.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Balrok
Basic wise, Technically the aftermarket ADC ECU's all provide more "pressure" to the rear diff so it "locks" up more then it normally would. It's the same deal with TRE's rear diff service, he gives you bigger discs so it grabs more, sooner. However with ones like the MDC you can tune it to how much lock (pressure) you want.
Yeah, I uderstand how it works, I just was after some feedback from someone running Motec or similar on tarmac. You can see my factory ACD controller working on the white pressure gauge in the centre of my car here. Especially when I lock a wheel. But was curious how much better the aftermarket ones are. We were thinking of having a controller built that has two dials, one for adjustable pressure and one for speed. This would just override the factory controller.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_S7xKO2C7I
Old Jun 29, 2009, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

We had a rough weekend at our hillclimb in Buena Vista this weekend. Somewhere in our wiring harness we developed a short (along the sensor switched-power wires), and were unable to get the car running. I probably spent 10-12 hours bent over the engine bay troubleshooting, and had help from a bunch of other guys when they weren't racing.

I'm on the lookout for a clean IX wiring harness that can be FedEx'd out tonight, so if you know of one, please let me know.

Now, onto fun stuff:

As some of you may remember in 2008 we made a last minute decision to add a Forced Performance White turbocharger to the car to help replace some of the altitude induced boost drop in the upper revs. It was a good match for our stock engine. Now that we've got a fully built AMS stroker motor in the car, we need something a bit bigger, especially when looking to switch from the TR30R turbo that's currently under the hood. On Friday, Robert put a Forced Performance HTA 3582 into the mail, with a 0.63 TiAL v-band housing on it.

To handle the extra fueling, I've got a 2nd Walbro on the way to add to the AMS surge tank kit, and I'll be ordering some 1450cc injectors later today. If all goes well, the car will be hitting the rollers at Carz Performance a week from today.

Dave
Old Jun 29, 2009, 10:36 AM

Wow, Dave. That should probably be putting you somewhere along the 700 range, wouldn't it (between the stroked motor and the HTA 35)?
Originally Posted by DaveK
We had a rough weekend at our hillclimb in Buena Vista this weekend. Somewhere in our wiring harness we developed a short (along the sensor switched-power wires), and were unable to get the car running. I probably spent 10-12 hours bent over the engine bay troubleshooting, and had help from a bunch of other guys when they weren't racing.

I'm on the lookout for a clean IX wiring harness that can be FedEx'd out tonight, so if you know of one, please let me know.

Now, onto fun stuff:

As some of you may remember in 2008 we made a last minute decision to add a Forced Performance White turbocharger to the car to help replace some of the altitude induced boost drop in the upper revs. It was a good match for our stock engine. Now that we've got a fully built AMS stroker motor in the car, we need something a bit bigger, especially when looking to switch from the TR30R turbo that's currently under the hood. On Friday, Robert put a Forced Performance HTA 3582 into the mail, with a 0.63 TiAL v-band housing on it.

To handle the extra fueling, I've got a 2nd Walbro on the way to add to the AMS surge tank kit, and I'll be ordering some 1450cc injectors later today. If all goes well, the car will be hitting the rollers at Carz Performance a week from today.

Dave
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HAR Racing
Wow, Dave. That should probably be putting you somewhere along the 700 range, wouldn't it (between the stroked motor and the HTA 35)?
I'd guess that the setup is capable of numbers in that range, but for the actual race, we'll turn the boost down a bit. I'm guessing that the guys getting 700whp out of the HTA35 are spinning the turbo a bit harder than we will. My guess is that we'll settle in the 28-30psi range.

We'll have to see how the competition shapes up during the week to evaluate how hard we need to push the car on race day. With only one shot at the mountain per year, we have to keep in mind that "50 hp probably won't win me the race, but it can lose it if we ask too much."

Engine cooling is very difficult since the air is so thin. You make the turbo work extra hard (more heat), you're climbing steep grades constantly (more heat), we've added lots of aero (more drag) and the air is less dense so the radiator is less efficient (less heat gets pulled out of the system). All in all, PPIHC is the perfect torture chamber.

Dave
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vaughany
But was curious how much better the aftermarket ones are.
I haven't had a chance to run my car on tarmac yet, so I can only share my experiences with it on ice. I swapped from the stock to the MDC (using the pre-loaded programs), and just driving around didn't notice much of a difference. So much so, that I swapped the factory controller back in and went for another lap. I noticed that the car couldn't go as fast. So, while the perceived changes aren't that great, I'd expect the stop watch to show a distinct advantage. I think I'd pin the changes to something along the lines of, you'll quickly be back at the point where you're pushing the traction limits of the car, and it'll feel similar, but you'll be going faster.

Where I really noticed a difference was in situations where I was using left-foot-braking. The car would really just squat down and go. I'm guessing this meant that the ACD was cranking down to eek every little bit of traction from all 4 corners.

Dave
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

What are you doing with your 30R kit?
Old Jun 29, 2009, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
What are you doing with your 30R kit?
Keeping it. Only thing that needs to change is the first 90 degrees of the downpipe since the TR30R and TiAL housings have different outlet diameters.

Dave
Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:37 PM
Evolved Member

So I never really put in an update regarding our first Rally Sprint in the car (think short stage rally on a closed course). We had to make the car Rally America legal for this event, so in went the 34mm restrictor. While not fun to neuter a car, the Evo's engine performed like a champ. With the altitude effecting spool, the powerband probably wasn't as nice as it was in Chicago, but we made due and managed to put the hurt on the subies...for a bit.

After the first 8 mile stage, we were leading the event by ~10 seconds. This was good news for us, as I usually take some time to get up to speed. Knowing we only had 32 miles of racing, I wanted to make sure I didn't put us at a disadvantage early on.

Stage two saw us charging harder until we passed the second place car on the side of the road changing a flat tire. We scaled it back a tic, but not quite enough, as we had a moment, popping the car up onto two wheels. A quick flick of the steering wheel had us back on the ground, but another team in a VW wouldn't be so lucky later in the afternoon. With stage two in the books, we headed into mid-day service with a lead of over a minute.

With only 2 stages to go, Allison and I had a quick strategy talk, and based on our near roll, we decided to back off considerably. About a quarter of the way thru the stage after a jump, I noticed that the pitch of the engine/gearbox changed, but wasn't sure what to do, so I just pushed on. Coming off an 85mph sweeper, heading into a 10mph right hander, I dropped down through the gears, and once I banged 1st, I took off. A horrible rumble came from the back of the car, but we were still moving. Press on, right...afterall, it is rally? Well, the car only moved under its power for another 50 yards and coasted to a stop off to the side of the course.

In the rally car with no sound deadening and a hard mounted diff, all driveline noise comes from the trunk, even a dying front diff. Fearing the worst (possibly a miss-shift and broken dog-box), we hopped and became spectators. During the break between cars, I started inspecting the car and couldn't find any fluids on the front skid plate, but could smell gear oil. A quick trip to the rear end showed copious amounds of Heavy Shockproof coating everything from the rear diff back. We ended up with a quarter sized hole in the back of the inspection cover and no teeth left on the pinion gear. Pics attached.

After the event, I pulled the diff and replaced it with the stock VIII sitting in the garage. The damaged one was sent to Shep, and I'm expecting it back any day now.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails AMS/NOS Energy Drink Pikes Peak International Hillclimb Car - 2009 Edition-rear-diff.jpg   AMS/NOS Energy Drink Pikes Peak International Hillclimb Car - 2009 Edition-rear-diff-2.jpg  

Quick Reply: AMS/NOS Energy Drink Pikes Peak International Hillclimb Car - 2009 Edition