Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Girodisc Rotors: Results of 2nd set

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2010, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Girodisc Rotors: Results of 2nd set

- Calipers: OEM
- Rotors: Girodisc 2-piece slotted rotors (front and rear)
- Pads: Raybestos ST43 (Front set) (Rear set)

To get up to speed on what this thread is about, first read the proceeding thread:

Review: Girodisc Rotors & Raybestos brake pads

Martin from Girodisc sent me my first set of Girodisc 2-pc rotors sometime around May or June of 2008. And as you can see based on that thread, I was able to get 16 days out of them. And I would have gotten more if I only ran the ST43s.

What I have experienced over the last year is that racing, compared to TT and HPDE, is significantly more demanding. One example that illustrates that difference is that my rotors and pads wear out more rapidly now. Our Regional races are 35min each, and our National Championship race is 45min. And we have (2) 35min races during every weekend event. If you’re capable of running lap times that are somewhat near the limits of your car, now imagine trying to run that lap time for 35min straight. If you’re not running lap times that are somewhat near the limits of your car, you’re not going to understand yet. Furthermore, running (1) fast lap is one thing, but in a race you have to be able to run fast from start to finish. Because racing isn’t about who sets the fastest lap. Racing is about who crosses the finish line first after that 35min marker. If you’re fortunate to finish a 35min race, you have to be able to come back and finish another 35min race the next day.

Moving on, we added brake ducting before leaving for Nationals, but I am not convinced yet that it has helped. Reason is because I don’t think the 2” hose is allowing for enough air, especially considering the bends the hose has to undertake to fit accordingly. And it doesn’t help much that the air-inlet that comes with the kit is just as narrow. I don’t recall the exact size of the air-inlet, but I want to say it’s no more than 2.5”. So what I have decided to do is to fabricate my own air-inlet using some funnels. I basically want to increase the size of the air-inlet. That’s another story, so onto the results.

In my previous thread I only posted how many days I ran. This time around I can give a better idea of the type of usage that these rotors went through because I have organized my list to not only days, but also how many races, qualifying sessions, and practice sessions I have ran with this set. So when reading the following numbers, keep in mind what those numbers are actually noting because not all of them are days.

3 = Test days (4-5 sessions a day)
4 = 35min ST2 Regional races
1 = 20min ST2 National race
5 = Qualifying sessions (each during a race day)
4 = Practice sessions (each during a race day)

That was over the course of 10 days. As you can see, my rotors and pads are wearing out more rapidly now due to the rigors of racing. Given what I have experienced thus far, I am really happy with how long this set lasted. I can probably use them for our upcoming races at Cal Speedway, but as you all know, safety is primary. So Martin is sending me another set, and I can’t wait to see how things unfold with my 3rd set of Girodisc 2-pc rotors. I’ll post some pics later when I have some time.

Last edited by Bueller; Mar 8, 2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I added one pic for now.