Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Lets talk tow vehicles, show me what you got.

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2010, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets talk tow vehicles, show me what you got.

I am in the market. I am looking for a Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel with possibly a 20ft enclosed trailer. The prices on trailers in my area are insane...

but any way... show me whatcha got... and also any good recommendations for accessories & equipement to make life with a trailer easier.
Old May 15, 2010, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
the diesel is a great and power full option for towing .
I do need the truck for tow and DD, so for me boils down to this:
I dont like the engine noise and vibration of the USa diesels etc. Its not like the EU diesel trucks by anymeans...
Also the diesel is more then regular gas so when you actually add up everything how much is the benefit there?
Now for ride quality. The diesel truck tend to be Heavy duty /of course/ so i did tried them they all too trucky for me. Stiff and harsh.

So I did ended up to go for 1.5 ton trucks . From there read and search + test drive, i ended up with the 2010 Tundra Rock Warrior. it was a close call between the 2500 Mercedes Sprinter and that. The tundra has a better towing capability and easier to drive - park , not to mention fits in the car wash

So far i have no issues, actually im happy with it. Fast as most of the family sedans, easy to drive in traffic /lane changes/ I avarage 17 - 18 mpg. When i did tow to the last rally race fuul with service stuff - race gas etc. + really heavy traler + the Evo, it did 14 mpg. Not exactly flat where we going ... Monticello area NY. LOL

The space is hughe in side actually kind of silly. But hey at least i can easily sleep when we travel. So far thats it. Oh i forgot , im planning to SC it and the beauty of it i can keep my 7 year -100K no deductible etc warranty after that. And this freaking truck goes under 13 sec

that all about the tundra. Also, If some one worries about the gas pedal that should be some one front of me, not me LOL

Last edited by Robevo RS; May 15, 2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old May 17, 2010, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Last year I was in the market for both. Ended up going new on an open trailer and used/cheap on a truck.

18' ATC aluminum trailer
2004 Nissan Titan 4WD (317hp/385tq stock) with 6.5ft bed. It's a 5-speed that gets 13.5mpg towing in 4th. More than enough power for my 5000lbs + gear - maybe 6k total.

Coincidentally, I'm looking for a new truck later this year. I think I'd look at the Tundra, 6.2L GMC Sierra (both just over 400tq and both have good incentives right now) or go straight to a 3/4 ton and turbodiesel and dig deeeep into the checkbook.
Old May 17, 2010, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

If you want a dodge stick with 2006 or older. The engine in that truck is a beast, and will run for ever. After 2006 additional emmissions equipment was added as well as the removal of items such as inconel valves etc that make it not as powerful or durable. The transmissions, and most notably, the torque converters are the relative weakspot in comparison to other manufacturers, but I'm sure will be more than fine for your use in the long run anyway.
Old May 17, 2010, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
From what I've read, the Tundra is the best gasoline option for towing. One of my friends used one to two his enclosed trailer with a weight of 10,000 lbs I think. No problem at all going up the Grapevine out here north of LA.

For a diesel option, the older Ford Powerstrokes with the 7.3L. I think that was up to 2004. Afterwards, they switched to the 6.0L which was garbage.
Old May 17, 2010, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Definitely not going to post pictures because my setup is lackluster in comparison, but I just use the family expedition with the 4.6L to pull my steel open trailer and car. It hauls up to 70MPH just fine with my family of 4, all our luggage, my 3500lb car, 2000lb trailer and 500lb of equipment.

Lots of guys will go much bigger but I don't see any need. I'd perhaps consider a TD excursion in the future... but I'm lucky to be able to afford getting to the track as it is.
Old May 20, 2010, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'99 Suburban, 3/4 ton, 4WD, 454 big block, crammed to the rafters with gear, open trailer.

Originally Posted by spdracerut
For a diesel option, the older Ford Powerstrokes with the 7.3L. I think that was up to 2004. Afterwards, they switched to the 6.0L which was garbage.
Older Powerstrokes made up to end of '02, some early '03. I'm currently considering upgrading the 'Burb to a pre-03 7.3 diesel Excursion 4WD, with some power mods for fun. Also somewhat interested in F350 Powerstroke or Dodge Cummins crew cab of same era (it seems difficult to find Dodge 1 tons with single rear wheels in crew cab form though) ... I'll probably end up getting an Excursion though, as I think it's better suited for daily driver/snowboarding/Baja/other missions too.

The Chevy Duramax is somewhat known as the hotrod of the big three, but some think the Duramax is not as durable as the older Powerstroke or Cummins (though the Chevy does come with an Allison tranny, which is great). You can make good power and more importantly torque with the Dodge and Ford too, with the right power mods. But I want a solid axle vs. the Chevy IFS, so that rules out the Chevy for me.

I'd stay away from anything made in the last few years. Aside from being super expensive still, they all have DPFs (diesel particulate filters) and other smog stuff, and will likely have to be smogged on an ongoing basis, like cars in most states.
Old May 20, 2010, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SoCal Rally

I'd stay away from anything made in the last few years. Aside from being super expensive still, they all have DPFs (diesel particulate filters) and other smog stuff, and will likely have to be smogged on an ongoing basis, like cars in most states.
Too late...

http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/80_BARR...lcoms1108.html

Now we need to pass a visual inspection and have no codes set. The diesel can "visibly smoke" as part of the test.

Too bad too, I see a lot of modd'ed trucks up for sale.
Old May 21, 2010, 02:22 PM

Chris,

Id suggest at least a 20ft enclosed trailer. I started shopping for one last year and ended up buying a 24ft pace american. It is NOT too much room thats for sure. Enclosed is nice as well because it keeps all your stuff locked up. Invest in some rhino ramps too for the truck especially if your car is as low as mine.
Old May 21, 2010, 02:22 PM

Oh, and I tow with a 2003 Excursion V-10. Diesel is the way to go though. Next truck will be an F-350 for me.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
bump
Old Apr 1, 2011, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

'98 Dodge 2500 Diesel with 5-speed 4x4
20ft Pace enclosed trailer

16mpg average

Costs me about $15k for everything

It tows awesome. Hills don't bother it, wind doesn't slow it. It moves any weight just about the same. After towing for 10k miles last year, I won't use anything but a diesel. There is no comparison. Even with an Auto Diesel, it won't be down shifting all the time.

If I had the driveway space, and didn't need to drive it for work a few times a week, I would have a dulley. Steadier on the road with high winds, higher tow rating, and easier to find.

Last edited by SmokingTires; Apr 1, 2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
2007 1/2 ton silverado, reg cab, 4.8, pulls ~5000 I think with the 3.42 rear end, gets about 20mpg hwy and 13ish towing. Getting a family soon so i'll upgrade eventually. I always like the interior of the GM's better then dodge or toyota.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

I use a 2002 GMC Sierra 2500 turbo diesel. Its a crew cab short bed - only thing I'd do differently is get the long bed. ~18mpg DD'ing, 14-15mpg towing, assuming ~65mph max speed. Diesel fuel economy really takes a dump if you try to go too fast.

Rally guys usually like open trailers, easier to move around in the woods, usually smaller, and if you have a pile of junk to crank onto the trailer, there's no walls to get in the way. LOL If I had money out my a$$, I'd have a 24' enclosed too.

Dave
Old Apr 3, 2011, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
the diesel is a great and power full option for towing .
I do need the truck for tow and DD, so for me boils down to this:
I dont like the engine noise and vibration of the USa diesels etc. Its not like the EU diesel trucks by anymeans...
Also the diesel is more then regular gas so when you actually add up everything how much is the benefit there?
Now for ride quality. The diesel truck tend to be Heavy duty /of course/ so i did tried them they all too trucky for me. Stiff and harsh.
m/albums/q54/Robevo_2006/P3060023.jpg[/IMG]

Here's mine:

Have you driven a newer diesel? I have an 08' f250 and it us so quiet and I have a 5" straight pipe exhaust. There is zero vibration, ride is great for an 8k# truck. All you need to do is delete the dpf and get a tuner and they will outrun a stock Evo no problem with 18-20 mpg.

You are right about cost though ... Truck is expensive, gas us expensive, repairs are expensive, but if it's not your daily and just for towing or weekend use, Id recommend any newer diesel (besides dodge because if their weak trannys).

Last edited by rdwngs44; Apr 3, 2011 at 09:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Lets talk tow vehicles, show me what you got.