Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

hard accel, turn, hesitation during autox

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2010, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hard accel, turn, hesitation during autox

I am have an occasional issue with about a 2 sec hesitation during autox. Setup I have an evo x MR. Super sport mode, ASC OFF OFF, TSSC in auto for shifting.
The most recent occurrence was at the Blythville national tour second day. There was about a 40 ft straight to a hard 90 deg turn then another fairly long straight. I started full throttle and lifted for the 90 deg turn, upon throttle lift the car shifted into second, I turned and went back to full throttle and I got no response for what seemed like a couple seconds.
Co driver, same event, first day. At the finish there was a fairly sharp s turn then you were through the timer. He had the same thing happen when he lifted entering the S he got no power when he went WOT for the exit.
Second issue. Occasionally during an auto cross event I find the transmission will up shift to the next gear after a throttle lift but will not downshift right away when you return to wide open throttle
Anyone else seeing these problems? Any Ideas?
Old Jun 15, 2010, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get a manual!

Are these tight 90's right-handers by chance? Fuel starvation? That used to happen to me back when I was running just springs and went out with 1/3 tank.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, most likely fuel starvation in the X. Do some searching in the X forums, seems like you're going to want to run pretty much a full tank. Anything under 1/2 tank starts to cause issues ... and I thought I had it bad when I get fuel starvation at 1/4 tank.

l8r)
Old Jun 16, 2010, 05:03 AM

One was a hard right and the other was hard left. I thought the fuel starvation issue happen mostly at road courses where you are in the turn much longer.

My hard right 90 turn was at maybe 20 miles an hour so it was over pretty quickly. I was also off throttle for most of the turn.

Still fuel starvation?
Old Jun 16, 2010, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by boomn29
Get a manual!
Are these tight 90's right-handers by chance? Fuel starvation? That used to happen to me back when I was running just springs and went out with 1/3 tank.
This! I'm not a fan of dual-clutch tranny's for that very reason.

I've heard of X having fuel starvation issues while hard cornering but I have no idea if thats you problem or not... Its not just lag is it? I know when the rpm's really drop in slow corners I have to wait for a second or two before it spools up again. That can seem like forever when your out on course... Try running more fuel in your tank at the next event and see if its any better.

Good Luck
Old Jun 16, 2010, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Might just be your auto, you said it shifted to 2nd when you let off to turn, at 20 MPH you've gotta be out of boost range in 2nd gear. My IX would be for sure.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 12:36 PM

What’s weird is it doesn’t act like fuel cut. The engine does not bog, its like the engine is at idle and not responding to the throttle input. After a couple of seconds it accelerates normally as if it I just pressed the throttle.