Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Fortune Auto takes 1st @ Redline Time Attack Super Session (Sick In Car VIDEO)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2010, 03:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fortune Auto takes 1st @ Redline Time Attack Super Session (Sick In Car VIDEO)

Our Modified driver Whit Staples takes 1st Place at the Redline Time Attack Super Session in the rain at Chicago.

Check out this hotly debated race video for yourself!
The track was fast all day and lots of rubber was left down so the track was super greasy and nobody really knew where the best line for grip was. Tires on the car were never scrubbed in and Whit was at the back of the field and claimed 1st place by the 2nd lap!

Enjoy the Massive slides at the 4 minute mark!

Old Jun 16, 2010, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
congrats
Old Jun 16, 2010, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

nice work guys... that was one hell of a slide lol... the rain looks like it sucked
Old Jun 16, 2010, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

The incident ultimately was Whits fault , even if the other driver had more room to his left. Whit was making the pass and had the responsibility to make it clean. Great try tho!! Rain dancing is the name of the game! Have not heard from him since we raced at the Glen last year. Tell Whit I am registered for the NASA Mid Ohio weekend in August with my Evo in St-2. Try to make it if he still has his ST-2 Evo. Hopefully there will be a good group of ST-2 cars. Dave..
Old Jun 16, 2010, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
whoa that was a nasty take out at the first corner... wasn't any chat after that? LOL
Old Jun 16, 2010, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Our you guys coming to sebring in August? What type of power is the car making?
Old Jun 16, 2010, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
oh i forgot and congrats for the 1st place!
Old Jun 16, 2010, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
I have to agree, sh*tty passing attempt in the first corner

1. You were in time attack, not a race
2. You were in the wet, so what made him/you think you had traction to make it when the superior GTR wasn't doing it
3. It is just bad sportsmanship to not know you made a mistake, and to not give it back to the competitor, especially when your NOT RACING.

Beyond this, contratz on the win and good luck with the rest of the season.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

i beg to differ.

the Super Session is a RACE. all the cars are required to have full safety equipment; cages, harnesses; all the drivers must wear suits, boots, gloves, etc. all the drivers must be certified to drive the Super Sessions. the Fortune EVO was all the way on the inside, and held the inside line; he did not slide out; he was up to the door of the miata; the miata turned in (and did not have to turn in so far; there was room on the outside); my guess is that the miata driver never even looked over before beginning the turn; he never expected another car to drive down and outbrake him that deeply, most probably.

that is racing; that is what i've been doing since 1999; that was smart, aggressive, ballsy driving in the damp conditions, when most of the drivers were being too timid. Whit had the fastest laptime by a large margin in that Session; he put all of the others away handily.

the Super Sessions aren't time attack rounds or DE's; they are races. and that is racing!

todd
ReidSpeed

PS Whit's car is an ST-1 car now; it has quite a bit more power than it did last year at WGI.

Last edited by d15b7; Jun 16, 2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by apex electric
The incident ultimately was Whits fault , even if the other driver had more room to his left. Whit was making the pass and had the responsibility to make it clean. Great try tho!! Rain dancing is the name of the game! Have not heard from him since we raced at the Glen last year. Tell Whit I am registered for the NASA Mid Ohio weekend in August with my Evo in St-2. Try to make it if he still has his ST-2 Evo. Hopefully there will be a good group of ST-2 cars. Dave..
I don't race w2w (yet), but doesn't the leading car have to give room if the passing car is up to his door before turn-in?

Originally Posted by Balrok
I have to agree, sh*tty passing attempt in the first corner

1. You were in time attack, not a race
2. You were in the wet, so what made him/you think you had traction to make it when the superior GTR wasn't doing it
3. It is just bad sportsmanship to not know you made a mistake, and to not give it back to the competitor, especially when your NOT RACING.

Beyond this, contratz on the win and good luck with the rest of the season.
This definitely was a race.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 03:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by d15b7
i beg to differ.

the Super Session is a RACE. all the cars are required to have full safety equipment; cages, harnesses; all the drivers must wear suits, boots, gloves, etc. all the drivers must be certified to drive the Super Sessions. the Fortune EVO was all the way on the inside, and held the inside line; he did not slide out; he was up to the door of the miata; the miata turned in (and did not have to turn in so far; there was room on the outside); my guess is that the miata driver never even looked over before beginning the turn; he never expected another car to drive down and outbrake him that deeply, most probably.

that is racing; that is what i've been doing since 1999; that was smart, aggressive, ballsy driving in the damp conditions, when most of the drivers were being too timid. Whit had the fastest laptime by a large margin in that Session; he put all of the others away handily.

the Super Sessions aren't time attack rounds or DE's; they are races. and that is racing!

todd
ReidSpeed

PS Whit's car is an ST-1 car now; it has quite a bit more power than it did last year at WGI.
ST-1? Good luck trying to beat Danny Popp!
Old Jun 17, 2010, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Ya Danny's pretty damn fast. But ya I didn't realize it was the SS, was like WTF is he doing haha.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
I agree it was a craptastic pass. Whit went THREE wide into to the corner, and he was the LAST car out of the three. There was a car on the outside of the miata. Also, you better be EVEN with the car next to you if you want to claim the line; up to the door is not good enough. The other guy is still in front. If I'm in front, I'm not giving up an inch. If you're in front, do you think you should have to back off to someone behind you?
Old Jun 17, 2010, 09:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by spdracerut
I agree it was a craptastic pass. Whit went THREE wide into to the corner, and he was the LAST car out of the three. There was a car on the outside of the miata. Also, you better be EVEN with the car next to you if you want to claim the line; up to the door is not good enough. The other guy is still in front. If I'm in front, I'm not giving up an inch. If you're in front, do you think you should have to back off to someone behind you?
Are you basing this off personal opinion or the actual rules of passing?
Whit was well within right of passing.
The miata even admitted that he was wrong and pinched him in because he did not know Whit was next to him
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:29 AM

I don't think either driver was at fault.... You can blame people all day back and forth.... It is a racing incident. It's funny that the people involved in the incident are the ones not complaining about anything. Also it wasn't a huge deal because neither driver was penalized by any officials.

Quick Reply: Fortune Auto takes 1st @ Redline Time Attack Super Session (Sick In Car VIDEO)