Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Official 2011 Formula One Discussion F1

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2010, 03:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F1 Rookie of the Year Award to...

Yup, now U NO I am not alone in my personel choice of one the best F1 drivers in 2010...http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88587...look out for next year IFF Sauber gives him a competitive car.

Later, Ken
Old Dec 6, 2010, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Refresh my memory... but what did Kobayashi do this season? I remember him from his first drive with Toyota because he was pulling all these big moves. I know he did some this year... but he hasn't left an impression on my mind.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KPerez
Yup, and the screams arise from those that don't figure it out while the others that do claim innocence and integrity to the rules...thats F1 in a nutshell...no one wants parity...they all want to "out-engineer" the other.

Later, Ken
Everybody wants parity as long as they are the one with the advantage... lol
Old Dec 6, 2010, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

About the 1.5 (or 1.6L) engines... I'm starting to feel like this is a joke. I mean F1 cars are supposed to be monsters... the pinnacle of motorsport. Now somebody who buys a $13,000 Ford Fiesta has a larger motor than in the pinnacle of motorsports?

Even as it stands right now... the Junior Leagues for F1 has a larger engine than the Big Leagues. This just doesn't seem right.

I feel the same way about WRC and how they are wanting to keep restricting the engines.

So when these 1.6L engines start generating over 1000hp... what's next? The FIA is gonna mandate teams use 0.5L lawnmower engines???
Old Dec 6, 2010, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Crester
Refresh my memory... but what did Kobayashi do this season? I remember him from his first drive with Toyota because he was pulling all these big moves. I know he did some this year... but he hasn't left an impression on my mind.
First off, he acquired the greatest number of points as a rookie...I use latter term despite the fact some have claimed he is not a rookie since he drove in 2009 for Toyota...my response: he drove two races, I believe, not the whole season or even close to that and was recognized as a real potential especially as he held off Button in Brazil driving a much slower car...as a result, Peter Sauber picked him up in 2010...just like he did Kimi years ago.
Second, the big moaning and groaning by the fans throughout the year was the races were "boring" and "parade like"...in short, no passing and all the changes coming for '11' R supposed to improve passing and, therefore, the show. Kobay's driving especially at Valencia, when he passed Alonso and other venues demonstrated that passing is possible in the current cars, even driving a slow one, if U have the ***** to do it...Kobay definitely has, as David Hobbs would say, "large attachments"! Kobay is going to be on the podum, at least once, in 2011 and U can take that to the bank.

Later, Ken

Last edited by KPerez; Dec 6, 2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

About the 1.5 (or 1.6L) engines... I'm starting to feel like this is a joke. I mean F1 cars are supposed to be monsters... the pinnacle of motorsport. Now somebody who buys a $13,000 Ford Fiesta has a larger motor than in the pinnacle of motorsports?

Even as it stands right now... the Junior Leagues for F1 has a larger engine than the Big Leagues. This just doesn't seem right.

I feel the same way about WRC and how they are wanting to keep restricting the engines.

So when these 1.6L engines start generating over 1000hp... what's next? The FIA is gonna mandate teams use 0.5L lawnmower engines???
Actually, the 1.6L engines will be restricted to 600 bhp so the lawn mower engines will have to keep cutting grass.

Later, Ken
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

What do you guys think about the new teams, well younger teams like Lotus, Virgin, Hispania? Do you guys think they'll be able to give the mid runners a challange, or they're just going to be like crap just like how the Lotus car look.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tvbf1
What do you guys think about the new teams, well younger teams like Lotus, Virgin, Hispania? Do you guys think they'll be able to give the mid runners a challange, or they're just going to be like crap just like how the Lotus car look.
Lotus>Virgin>HRT ... will still see them at back of pack...BUT the time gap should get smaller than the 3-5 sec/lap differential existing in '10'

Later, Ken
Old Dec 6, 2010, 01:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Ok, we were aware of the engine changes for 2013 season, namely a 1.5L 4 cyl turbocharged engine coupled with KERS (http://www.planetf1.com/news/18227/6...ngines-in-2013). However, there have been some changes increasing the bore slightly to 1.6L producing 600 bhp with another 150 bhp from KERS. These figures R supposed to be the best F1 can do... costing millions of dollars...Is this the best from the "pinnacle of motor sports"?

I say this is pathetic and does not represent the "pinnacle of motorsports" from a performance point of view. If this was the best motor sports can do in two years , then we need to give the nod to AMS motorsports as the best today because they have currently exceeded the 2013 goal of de novo F1 engines using a mass produced engine from Mitsu motors, the 4b11T! Specifically, AMS, with some mod's, now produces 900 hp on pump gas (as opposed to F1's 600hp), from a modified 4B11T engine (http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/a...x_package.html)...yes, the engine displacement is larger than the upcoming F1 engine by 0.7L but so is the hp output significantly larger...in short, it is equal to if not better than the proposed new F1 engines.

One would think, with millions of $$ and higher octane fuels, F1 could do better than a small company like AMS in producing significantly greater performance from a 4 cyl turbo charged mass produced engine!! However, if this lower power output is an attempt to lower fuel costs, I say this: What about the fuel costs of transporting all the F1 cars to all points of the world ...like from Abu Dabai to Brazil in two weeks...if these power plants R F1's answer to going "green", then they need to rethink the whole process again!!

Later, Ken
The lower power amounts are in attempt to get a motor to last for 2 races. Power is easy to make, getting a motor to last in motorsports such as F1 is a much bigger challenge. If you went to any of F1 motor manufactures and told them to build that same base motor in to a time attack/drag/ or street motor they could make a hell of a lot more power.

Getting 600 horse out of a 1.6 liter is not such an easy task, it is the equivalent of 750 horse out of a 2.0. Then factor in that you are redlining that motor for three 90 minuet practices how ever much qualifying you make it through and then a 2 hour race, and on top of all of that you have to make 7 motors last 20 races. I have yet to ever see a shop such as AMS, Buschur, English, AWD Motorsports ect be able to do anything close to that, and with a small enough turbo to always give instant response.

I think the comparison to an evo motor is ridiculous, I will go on the record and say that if the teams were to use 4b11's built by AMS in F1 at 750 horse, not a single team would be able to make a motor last all weekend. And this is nothing against the motor or AMS, just to show how much i think you are unaware of the stress being put on these motors.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 01:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Think back to the Group B days, there are reasons for going with less power, people were dying. The FIA understands that the cars are getting to fast for there own good, and is slowing them down for purely safety reasons. There is still no motor sport with as much technical innovation as F1 or WRC so until ther4e is a series that can challenge ether on of them they are still the Pinnacles of motor sports.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Kobay is going to be on the podium, at least once, in 2011 and U can take that to the bank.

Later, Ken
Hahaha. Funniest thing I have read in weeks.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 04:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Billy@EnglishRacing
The lower power amounts are in attempt to get a motor to last for 2 races. Power is easy to make, getting a motor to last in motorsports such as F1 is a much bigger challenge. If you went to any of F1 motor manufactures and told them to build that same base motor in to a time attack/drag/ or street motor they could make a hell of a lot more power.

Getting 600 horse out of a 1.6 liter is not such an easy task, it is the equivalent of 750 horse out of a 2.0. Then factor in that you are redlining that motor for three 90 minuet practices how ever much qualifying you make it through and then a 2 hour race, and on top of all of that you have to make 7 motors last 20 races. I have yet to ever see a shop such as AMS, Buschur, English, AWD Motorsports ect be able to do anything close to that, and with a small enough turbo to always give instant response.

I think the comparison to an evo motor is ridiculous, I will go on the record and say that if the teams were to use 4b11's built by AMS in F1 at 750 horse, not a single team would be able to make a motor last all weekend. And this is nothing against the motor or AMS, just to show how much i think you are unaware of the stress being put on these motors.
Billy, I was not saying the 4B11T engine could replace or be competitive from a longevity point of view in an F1 car. What I was saying is 600bhp out of a 1.6L engine is pretty lame and not exemplary of F1 as the "pinacle of motorsports" especially when us common folk can achieve greater relative HP from a mass produced 4cyl turbo engine. That said, Shawn with his AMS EVO Time Attack beast ran a lot of races flat out for a full year, I believe, and had >600hp at the wheels. I wonder how long his engine would last if it was built and tuned to 600 crank HP? Some rough computations: sixteen F1 races with 8 motors or each motor has to last two races with Friday practice...assuming each track is on average 1.3mi and 70 laps are completed each day, we have each motor having to last: 1.3*70*3*2=546mi...I think Shawn's X went at least that many miles if not more and , yes, it did not go 200mph but it also did not have KERS either...so, while I agree in principle, a modified 4B11T is not an F1 engine, I think these computations and example demonstrate how low the FIA has set the bar for the "pinacle of motorsports".

Later, Ken
Old Dec 7, 2010, 04:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GG06MR
Hahaha. Funniest thing I have read in weeks.
I shall leave U with this: "He who laughs last, laughs best"...we will revisit this at the end of 2011 season and either U or I will have to watch one of us crying, the other laughing.

Later, Ken
Old Dec 7, 2010, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Eccelstone Mugging

Bernie is not one of my most respected individuals...However, U got to love his sence of humor!..http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/.

Later, Ken
Old Dec 7, 2010, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Red Bull and Mark Weber

Based on this (http://www.crash.net/f1/news/165417/..._from_him.html ) Red Bull has two options...put a homing ankle devise on Weber to ensure he does not ride any more bicycles next season OR just find another driver for he has lost a lot of credibility at RB.

Later, Ken

Quick Reply: Official 2011 Formula One Discussion F1