Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

TTS/TTS Weight/Horsepower Calculations

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2011, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
TTS/TTS Weight/Horsepower Calculations

Here is a quick screen shot of a minium weight/maximum HP calculator that I made for NASA TTS/TTU. You can plug in different weight, HP, types of tires, etc. and it will either tell you your minimum weight or maximum HP for that particlar setup. I will post more later . . .

Old Feb 5, 2011, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep. Got a huge spreadsheet like that myself! Fun stuff eh...
Old Apr 4, 2011, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

What I'm blown away by is how MILD TTU really is on HP/WT ratio. Heck, there are a few autocross cars that would be well into TTR . . .
Old Apr 5, 2011, 07:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
What I'm blown away by is how MILD TTU really is on HP/WT ratio. Heck, there are a few autocross cars that would be well into TTR . . .

i know mark berrys car would surpass the TTU limits, but that car would fall apart on a road course mini brakes, small radiator, stock intercooler, no cage and gutted as far as humanly possible (i.e. very flexible chassis). oh, and the 3 gallon fuel cell wouldn't help much . there is a lot of weight to add back into the car to not break, not overheat, and make it safe. i suspect it would fall into the range my car is at, 2650-2700 w/driver if he were to convert it to road racing ever (and i have heard him mention it before). however, he knows that there is so much work to convert it to road racing it might not be worth doing.

and i should point out his is on the extreme edge of modifying an evo, by no means a mild hp/weight ratio.

Last edited by KevinD; Apr 5, 2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinD
i know mark berrys car would surpass the TTU limits, but that car would fall apart on a road course mini brakes, small radiator, stock intercooler, no cage and gutted as far as humanly possible (i.e. very flexible chassis). oh, and the 3 gallon fuel cell wouldn't help much . there is a lot of weight to add back into the car to not break, not overheat, and make it safe. i suspect it would fall into the range my car is at, 2650-2700 w/driver if he were to convert it to road racing ever (and i have heard him mention it before). however, he knows that there is so much work to convert it to road racing it might not be worth doing.

and i should point out his is on the extreme edge of modifying an evo, by no means a mild hp/weight ratio.
A quick calculation puts Marks car at 4.1 wt/hp ratio! I've ridden in it at an autoX, and it was VERY scary fast..
Old Apr 5, 2011, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Btw, if I were going to run in TTS/U I would never do it with a dynosheet from a Mustang dyno. That 1.1x conversion is BS. And that's something I'd look into personally. If you don't have access to a non mustang dyno, I'd try to find one somewhere just so you can get an apples-to-apples sheet. Just my .02

For example, I know AMS's new Mustang dyno is exactly 8% lower than their old Dynojet. .8% vs 1.1% is huge!
Old Apr 5, 2011, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
Btw, if I were going to run in TTS/U I would never do it with a dynosheet from a Mustang dyno. That 1.1x conversion is BS. And that's something I'd look into personally. If you don't have access to a non mustang dyno, I'd try to find one somewhere just so you can get an apples-to-apples sheet. Just my .02

For example, I know AMS's new Mustang dyno is exactly 8% lower than their old Dynojet. .8% vs 1.1% is huge!
Not a big difference. . .

500whp on AMS's Dynojet x 0.92 (eight percent less) = 460whp on their Mustang Dyno

460whp on their Mustang Dyno x 1.1 NASA correction factor = 506whp

VERY close numbers when comparing two dynos.

So let's say a very light TT EVO at 2700# with driver - that only allows you around 450whp on a MD or about 500whp on a Dynojet. Sure - a crazy fast combo - but not even close to what the Unlimited class RTA guys are running . . .

Last edited by EVOlutionary; Apr 5, 2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
So let's say a very light TT EVO at 2700# with driver - that only allows you around 450whp on a MD or about 500whp on a Dynojet. Sure - a crazy fast combo - but not even close to what the Unlimited class RTA guys are running . . .
There's a quite a different in budget here between NASA TT and the money pit that became RTA.

Just to get an Evo down to 2700# with driver takes some dedication to say the least. You'd be completely insane to do it w/o a cage and full safety gear, so be sure to factor that in.

Anything below 3000 (with driver & cage) has a lot of work in it. That's removing a good 500 lbs from the factory. I know mine would be down to 3120 w/o my rollbar. But that's w/o a cage and really no excessive gutting (all windows, door bars & front/rear crash beams still there).

But yeah, I get your point. Let's say a 3000 lb car for TTU max on 275's needs something like 575whp dynojet. But I'd think you're long past a DOT and should be running full slicks at that point. I don't have the conversion #'s worked up for those.

The thing is, other TTU cars can make that 5.5:1 ratio with a good powerband. Think american V8 - modded Z06's and Vipers ACR's hit that with room for wider tires, better gearing and much better aero. It's an uphill battle for Evo; no doubt.
Hell, for mostly the same reasions, I think TTS is an uphill battle on a lot of tracks!