Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Motor Rebuild - STU

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2011, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motor Rebuild - STU

Experienced rod bearing failure at my last local AX. It was slightly over full on the right oil. Happened in a long right hand sweeper, which i hear is common but not at STU power and street tires. It's a bummer.

Anyone have any similar experience?

Looking to rebuild - stay stock and in STU or build it and go BSP?

I'm in Salt Lake and I haven't found a shop I feel great about doing the work. Looking west to CA. If anyone has experience with a good shop I'd appreciate it.

Kevin
Old Sep 30, 2011, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't know what your rule are or how you'd ever get caught but............I think the absolute best engine for an autocross EVO has to be the new 2.3RPM we build. I love mine and so do the other guys who are running them, I believe about 15 of them so far. Cover car on DSport Magazine this month has one in it.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by David Buschur
I don't know what your rule are or how you'd ever get caught but............I think the absolute best engine for an autocross EVO has to be the new 2.3RPM we build. I love mine and so do the other guys who are running them, I believe about 15 of them so far. Cover car on DSport Magazine this month has one in it.
I agree with David, except for the cheating parts

I would suck it up and say "welcome to SM" and have fun. You don't get an opportunity to build up a motor very often.

As far as shops....

In Northern CA, you have GST motorsports www.gstmotorsports.com, full function www.fftec.com, and I know I am forgetting some..

In socal, I only know of www.RoadRaceengineering.com.

good luck!
Old Sep 30, 2011, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

Only difference between a BSP and STU motor is a minor overbore. Otherwise, same turbo, intake, exhaust. Just add bigger injectors and crank up the boost and you have BSP.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 06:39 PM

Thanks for the thoughts so far. It's a tough call STU/BSP/SM. Just looking at tire costs alone scare the crap out of my wallet.

2.3 stroker I'm sure is awesome but not remotely legal. Maybe someday.

I believe BSP allows a larger overbore (a minor overbore is allowed in stock and st), it also allows forged parts, balancing - as far as engine work. Lots of other stuff to be competitive - diffs, e85, injectors, pump, etc.

Thanks for the shop suggestions, I've contacted some of the ones mentioned.

Kevin
Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
IMHO, stay STU. Street Prepared seems sort of risky right now with the potential reorg, and once you get to SP, you can break every OTHER part of the drivetrain instead of just the clutch. SP seems like a great way to take a car that can still be sort of streetable and make it a total garage queen.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 12:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
BSP does allow forged pistons, but not forged rods (which are the real important part when building a motor for more power/torque). You can't technically "build" the motor in BSP. See 15.10-S:

"S. Cylinders may be rebored to no more than 0.0472 in. over standard bore and the appropriate standard oversize piston may be substituted. This overbore dimension is an absolute limit; no additional tolerance is permitted to accommodate wear. Cast or forged, non-stock pistons of the same dimensions and configuration as original equipment pistons may be used. Additionally the replacement pistons must be of the same weight or greater as the original equipment pistons. Replacement pistons must match OE piston configuration exactly including quench area. The allowance for the use of aftermarket forgings vs. OE castings does not permit alternate piston dome designs. This allowance does not permit alternative ring configurations."
Old Oct 1, 2011, 12:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
SP seems like a great way to take a car that can still be sort of streetable and make it a total garage queen.
That sounds more like SM . A lot of BSP Evos (prepped at the national level) are still streetable.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kevinfschultz
Thanks for the thoughts so far. It's a tough call STU/BSP/SM. Just looking at tire costs alone scare the crap out of my wallet.

2.3 stroker I'm sure is awesome but not remotely legal. Maybe someday.

I believe BSP allows a larger overbore (a minor overbore is allowed in stock and st), it also allows forged parts, balancing - as far as engine work. Lots of other stuff to be competitive - diffs, e85, injectors, pump, etc.

Thanks for the shop suggestions, I've contacted some of the ones mentioned.

Kevin
You have enough injector to run E85 in STU also. Swapping to forged pistons isn't going to do you a whole lot. You might as well build an STU legal engine, then you can always go run BSP. But that way, if you ever want to go back, you can.

As far as diffs, if you haven't done the STU diff rebuild to factory specs, then your missing out.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by RJones
BSP does allow forged pistons, but not forged rods (which are the real important part when building a motor for more power/torque). You can't technically "build" the motor in BSP. See 15.10-S:
I've looked for forged evo pistons that would meet 15.10.s and came up empty. None of the aftermarket pistons that i could find have the same crown design as stock. The stock pistons just don't seem to be a weak enough link in BSP for me to justify the cost of custom designed pistons.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by griceiv
I've looked for forged evo pistons that would meet 15.10.s and came up empty. None of the aftermarket pistons that i could find have the same crown design as stock. The stock pistons just don't seem to be a weak enough link in BSP for me to justify the cost of custom designed pistons.
Yeah, that's what I was getting at.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Heh, a friend and I are having a hard time dealing with SM rules as well. Got 3rd last weekend at a hillclimb, with a 15 second gap to 2nd. Street tires vs DOT Slicks... seriously???
Old Oct 4, 2011, 05:17 PM

Kevin, I think you should sell the car with the ill motor and buy mine. STU ready and rockin!

Brandon Ranvek
81 STU
Old Oct 5, 2011, 08:25 AM

Brandon,

I called - you said it was sold? Did Andrew end up not buying? I still may be interested, have not sent my car to be repaired yet. The costs are escalating.

If I don't buy the car will you sell your Wedsports?

Kevin
801-391-7234
Old Oct 5, 2011, 10:18 AM

I tried sending you a text to let you know Andrew still has not committed. Andrew is holding back bc hes had minimal interest in his MS3 for sale and that car has to go before he can purchase mine.

So yes, its still for sale.

I decided I want to keep the Wedsports for running street tire index at some of our local events bc certain surfaces aren't hoosier friendly. So without the Wedsports my asking price is $24,000. It would still come with the 5zigens and stock wheels with winters.

507-358-3926
Brandon Ranvek.

Last edited by Toothy07; Oct 5, 2011 at 10:27 AM.