Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Balrok's ST2 Racing Debut

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2011, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Matt, welcome to ST2! Other than the racing line, theres a good chance youll feel like theres a lot of stuff that you are going to learn all over again. And heres a little suggestion. If your region doesnt have enough ST2 competition, when you get a little more comfortable, travel to the regions that have the car counts. If youre at a point that TT is boring, youll quickly learn that racing by yourself will become boring also, and pointless to a certain extent. I know traveling costs can get expensive for you coming from South Florida, but its something you should think about if you havent already. If your wife enjoys this stuff, and she likes to travel, it can be a good excuse to "get away" for the weekend.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

It was great watching you dice it up with those Thunder Roadsters. You totally eat them on the long straights, but they got lots more mechanical grip in the turns. Maybe because they are a few hundred lbs lighter than your car. I swear I saw you pass like 6+ of them on the same straight. Im surprised those used set of Hoosier A6 held up the entire race although i did see some understeer and loss of grip a few times. Good job keeping it clean and on the black stuff. Those misshifts must have gave you oh **** moment.

Congrats on a strong finish for you first race in ST2!! If you don't mind me asking, how much power/torque are you making? How many psi of boost on the E85? Is this with stock turbo? Also what is your raceweight? Thanks!
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

Nice Matt, Congrats! How did the breaks work out for ya, by the looks of it they seemed to work fine.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Thanks guys, it was killer for sure. I'm going to deff require some of Mr. Onelap's aero advantages to take on the neighboring "corvette mafia" as those guys don't play around. Right now the motivation for the other guys who are 8.7:1 is tires so they know I can't step down then they throw in a tune or what not and step up. As one of the first ST2 cars in the region it should grow since it's so open. And if it doesn't then ya, i'd like to hit some different tracks just for some fun. But again budget is everything so we'll see.

The Turdsters deff have two things...*****...and grip. Technically your not supposed to pass on the outside when the inside line has the space but that's how these guys drive. Even though they hit me they came by and said thanks for holding my line as most guys esp Porsche drivers don't. If they keep that up though i'll remind them in a slide my 3300lbs sled will win against their fiberglass every time lol. Also not sure why, when they know i'm going to pass them a few seconds later, that they'd take a line like that...I don't think they ever gained or lost position that whole run doing it that way. They were using me as a 1.5 ton road block lol. At one point I gave up on that and just drove my race so long as I kept the FFR and Z behind me.

Car's around 370/3130. I replaced my throttle body shaft seals with MilSpec ones when I found the leak, so you can see my ZAFT light going off quite often because I was running lean. I'm deff going to have to figure out the fuel situation...either increase capacity or switch to race gas.

Brakes were badass joe. The problem I had that I spoke to you about was I kept the AMS ring that replaced the dust shield installed. This put the inside pad off by like 4/100's of an inch but was enough to drag. Had everything loaded up friday, AP called back and explained that...and I was like...fawk...unloaded, back in the garage, redo, back on the trailer...I as dead lol.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

Am I reading this correctly? You are on an E85 tune at around 370WHP? This is basically exactly what I have too...

If so, how is your fuel consumption over those long races? In a 20 minute hot lapping session I can go through over half a tank (stock tank) if I'm "on it" at Portland International...I've got 900cc injectors.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by skidmarq
Am I reading this correctly? You are on an E85 tune at around 370WHP? This is basically exactly what I have too...

If so, how is your fuel consumption over those long races? In a 20 minute hot lapping session I can go through over half a tank (stock tank) if I'm "on it" at Portland International...I've got 900cc injectors.
At race pace, which is more aggressive then my TT pace, I blow through the tank during both of those races. In the first race I filled it up till I saw the fuel gauge read full and resulted in fuel cut on the last corner of the last lap. The second race I filled it up till I saw it at the top of the filler neck which got me through....however if the race was just a few minutes longer...i'd be hosed. I'm using 1050's.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I was kind of assuming that might be a problem

Do you have plans to modify your fuel tank (fuel cell or larger capacity tank), add a surge tank, etc? If it is bad now, imagine what a 40-45 minute national race would be like! Of course I'm racking your brain because I'm debating on my plans for these very same things...
Old Oct 4, 2011, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Starting a thread on that.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 06:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Hey...congrats Balrok! I'm glad you had such a great first time out!
Forgot to say...nice pair you have there.

Last edited by JRitt@essex; Oct 6, 2011 at 06:34 AM. Reason: added something