Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

changing camber

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2011, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
changing camber

How many guys drive to the event with one setting then change the camber when they get there? What is the method you use for this and how hard is it?
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by XcreatonX
How many guys drive to the event with one setting then change the camber when they get there? What is the method you use for this and how hard is it?
Most leave the front camber set at a neg value. The reason is that on an Evo, if add more neg camber, it toes-in the the front wheels. On cars like STis, the tie rods are on the opposite side, which toe outs the wheels with more neg camber.

Inner tire wear is mostly due to toe angle skidding the tire down the road. With zero toe, tire wear isn't too bad.

That said, with most camber plates you can adjust camber in a minute , once the car is jacked up. With the Ciro Racing plates you can also adjust caster.

Rick
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:52 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SS RX7 r2
Most leave the front camber set at a neg value. The reason is that on an Evo, if add more neg camber, it toes-in the the front wheels. On cars like STis, the tie rods are on the opposite side, which toe outs the wheels with more neg camber.

Inner tire wear is mostly due to toe angle skidding the tire down the road. With zero toe, tire wear isn't too bad.

That said, with most camber plates you can adjust camber in a minute , once the car is jacked up. With the Ciro Racing plates you can also adjust caster.

Rick
No pun intended!
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Old Oct 19, 2011, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
i have camber and toe set for street driving. then when i get to the track, i turn the tie rod one full rotation on each side and the change camber to a preset mark where it would give me zero toe. i find the zero toe mark first at my house using toe gauge.

i don't drive my car on street much but most track i go to is 2-3 hours drive and it does wear the inside of the tires quickly due to all weight of extra tires and tools i carry to the track.

im also using STANCE caster plates and have it set to max caster.

Last edited by honda-guy; Oct 19, 2011 at 03:07 PM.