Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Evo IX NASA TT classing?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2011, 06:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Evo IX NASA TT classing?

Reading and being fascinated by all the TT/PT/etc threads, and with a local NASA autox coming up, I have had bad ideas in my head lately, so I decided to try to figure out where my SCCA-STU car would fit in NASA classing.

I noticed this in the rules:
http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/time_trial_rules.pdf
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII ('03-'05)(AWD) TTC** 3263
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII MR ('05)(AWD) TTB 3263
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IX ('06)(AWD) TTB 3263
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo MR ('06)(AWD) TTB* 3285
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo RS ('06)(AWD) TTB 3219
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X GSR ('08)(AWD) TTB* 3500
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X MR ('08)(AWD) TTB** 3500
So the 8 MR takes 6 points over the regular 8, and the 9 MR takes 7 points over the regular 9 (including the SE). I emailed to ask and was told:
The '06 MR had the extra points for Transmission, shocks (Bilsteins), "zero lift kit" aero, roof vortex generator, and it also had the aluminum roof that some of the others didn't. The combination pushed the stock MR up by over 7 points, so we limited it to one asterisk instead.

The SE is not classed, and would start as a base model classing, and take points for all mods and weight, etc.
I replied, dunno if it'll go anywhere

For those of you who have non-MR's, are you worried about the performance benefits of those mods versus your cars?

And as someone generally unfamiliar with TT classing, the MR is in this case getting base points for something (shocks) that is most likely going to end up getting replaced. Is this normal? Do you get those points "back" if you put aftermarket shocks on?

Looks like I am a total of +30 right now... +7 for the MR, +5 forced induction, +10 (!!) for remote reservoirs, -4 for 245's and then springs/sways/power stuff. Subtract the +7 (i.e. if the rules were different) and I'd be +23, and with 235's and a stock rear swaybar I could just barely sneak back into TTB.

Just windowshopping for now
Old Oct 27, 2011, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Btw, your remotes I'm assuming are using aftermarket springs? That's another +2; so they are +12 in total.

The MR gets hosed; that's just how it is. With NASA TT; it's best to have the absolute base model to start out. Everyone pulls the suspension and the 'zero lift kit' is more of a marketing gimmick. You can try to take that stuff off and ask, as you've pulled the susnepsion and you can take the little flap off the wing - the lighter roof is legal I think w/o points.
That said, it can be done. If I were going to run the MR in TTB; I'd stick with stock suspension probably. Get a good tune - exhaust or intake if you want to take the pts - and get a sticky tire. Done.

Here's a big explanation I wrote up in another forum that's pretty detailed on NASA TT:
Originally Posted by boomn29
The goal is to take your vehicle, pick a class, pick a mix of mods using the allowed points and compete for the single fastest lap of the day. It's that simple. NASA TT runs with the unlimited open passing rules, meaning you can pass anyone anywhere at anytime (provided it's a safe clean pass, etc). So you have the potential of going 2-wide through corners, running 2ft off someones bumper or maybe not seeing any traffic for several laps! It all depends on the track, the session, and your grid position (front-to-back) on the entire group.
Naturally not all cars are competitive in every class and certain cars can be 'ringers' in certain classes. But most cars have a sweet spot in a certain class or 2. What are those classes?

From the slowest to the fastest:
  • TTF - slow....
  • TTE - Think Civic SI, Spec Miata
  • TTD - Think e30 M3, ITR, late 90's Mustangs
  • TTC - Think S2000, SRT4, Cobalt SS, e36 M3
  • TTB - Think M3, stockish Evo/STi, Mustangs, , e36 M3
  • TTA - Think C5 Vettes, Evo/STi, M3, S4
  • TTS - 8.7:1 power/weight ratio class. Think Corvettes, Audi, Mustangs, GT3, e46 M3, modded Evo's and STI's
  • TTU - 5.5:1 power/weight ratio class. Think Vipers, Z06's, Ferrari
  • TTR - completely unlimited.
So TTA-TTF are the normal classes. Normal meaning they have to count their mod points. TTS-TTU simply have to hit the legal power/weight ratio and TTR is anything goes. Needless to say, the last 3 classes can get really expensive as there's no limit to the type of engine mods or fancy 4-way remote suspension or aero - the 3 more expensive avenues!

New for 2009, each class has been assigned a minimum “Adjusted” Weight/Power ratio. Regardless of how many points a car has, or which base class it begins in, it may not exceed the minimum “Adjusted” Weight/Power ratio for its competition class. Any vehicle found competing with an “Adjusted” Weight/Power ratio less than the minimum level assigned below will be disqualified.

NASA TT Official website: http://www.nasa-tt.com/

There's some strategy involved in NASA TT. Technically you could go out and turn 1 single flying lap and win for the day. Or you could be in last place all day making changes little by little and turn the winning lap in the final session to come from behind. There's also external factors that can screw up a good strategy like changing weather conditions, lap traffic, broken parts, scheduling issues, not making your base weight or even filling out your classification forms improperly!

The new for 2009 class power/weight ratio limits:
  • TTR --> with unlimited power/weight & mods
  • TTU 5.50:1 --> with unlimited mods
  • TTS 8.70:1 --> with unlimited mods
  • TTA 8.70:1
  • TTB 10.25:1
  • TTC 12.00:1
  • TTD 14.25:1
  • TTE 16.50:1
  • TTF 19.50:1

As I mentioned, every car gets a base class and weight. From there they pick/choose the best mods possible to MAX the car out for the class. However, you do have the option to UPclass or DOWNclass depending on what type and how many mods you do.

Up-Classing System (TTA-TTF only)
Modifications and Point Assessments:
If your car accrues 20 or more points you will be bumped up in Class. There is no limit - a car
with a high level of modifications might move up several Classes.
20 thru 39 points - Up ONE Class
40 thru 59 points - Up TWO Classes
60 thru 79 points - Up THREE Classes
80 thru 99 points - Up FOUR Classes
100 thru 119 points - Up FIVE Classes
120 thru 139 points - Up SIX Classes
140 thru 159 points - Up SEVEN Classes
160 thru 179 points - Up EIGHT Classes
One (1) asterisk * on a base class assignment denotes a 7 point initial assessment, and two
(2) asterisks ** denotes a 14 point initial assessment that is added to the total number of
modification points to determine the final competition class.

So how are the different Evo models base classed and what are their base weights? See below. My car is bolded.
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII ('03-'05)(AWD) TTC** 3263
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII MR ('05)(AWD) TTB 3263
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IX ('06)(AWD) TTB 3263
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo MR ('06)(AWD) TTB* 3285
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo RS ('06)(AWD) TTB 3219
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X GSR (2008 (AWD) TTB* 3500
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X MR (2008 (AWD) TTB** 3500

Last edited by boomn29; Oct 27, 2011 at 06:27 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to know more about this, I am planning on doing some TT/TA next year, and I'll take the aero crap off if i can get some points back, also would be great to get some of the suspension points back too with my aftermarket coil-overs on.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by projectmarzen
I'd like to know more about this, I am planning on doing some TT/TA next year, and I'll take the aero crap off if i can get some points back, also would be great to get some of the suspension points back too with my aftermarket coil-overs on.
Well there's a ton of info in the post above - check it out.

As for aero - it's a black hole of points really quick! 100% stock bumpers is what you'll need.

Another suggestion could be TTS. It's the step above TTA; and you don't have to count points. You just have to hit an 'adjusted' power/weight ratio depending on tire selection and everything else (aero/suspension, etc) is wide open. Thinking 360-400whp and 3100-3300lb range.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 08:05 AM

I have been reading offline, we have this guy here in colorado that fits in TTA with his fully prepped e36 m3 race car, he shows up runs 1 session and dominates the entire tta class by a few seconds, takes the tires and leaves. I really dont feel like working in that sort of enviroment.

I raced Formula Vee and Formula Mazda for a few years (nationally) in SCCA and enjoyed it, I really want to enjoy my street car on the race track now. that is the stage of my life I am in.

I plan on Either running TTB or perhaps will end up in TTA. De modding the car (from the way I bought it) is not a problem for me, I have all the stock parts. if i have the opportunity locally to have some of the points assesed against my 06 MR removed due to the spring/shocks replaced and removing some of the stock MR goodies, Ill be happy. if not I'll cope and adjust fire.

Just looking forward to the fun of competition again!.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
if so that's a big bonus for the SEs, which come with the aluminum roof that the MRs do but still classed with regular GSRs
Old Oct 28, 2011, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by projectmarzen
I have been reading offline, we have this guy here in colorado that fits in TTA with his fully prepped e36 m3 race car, he shows up runs 1 session and dominates the entire tta class by a few seconds, takes the tires and leaves. I really dont feel like working in that sort of enviroment.
Bottom line, there are just certain makes/models that hit very sweet spots in the NASA classing system. Nate has shown that with LOTS of testing, trial and error, the combination of points and driver can be used to field a competitive TTA Evo IX. But the class was almost made for C5Z Vette's who have to do a great deal less work than us (mod wise) to run at the front in TTA.

I have friends that run AP1 S2K's in TTC and they are starting to clean up at NASA events. The combination of where the car starts and how it responds to certain mod points yields a potent TTC setup.

I'm just going to go straight to TTS myself and have already entered my first TT event as such. I won't be competitive for a while, but TTS let's you level the field a little easier (albeit at a higher cost) against the C5Z's and things like race prepped e36's.

But Nate has shown that an Evo IX can run at the front in TTB and TTA. His posts and his racing blog are a wealth of information on the subject.

And I also agree, the MR gets hosed on points.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 03:34 PM

I'm Looking into TTS aswell, I think the few mods the PO installed in my car really dont help it that much, funnier is the 06 MR is at a disadvantage right out the box unless I can get the locals to allow me to regain said points from replacing the "stuff" that gives it the advantage. I doubt the zero lift will make a huge impact on me, and the 6spd, I'll take the hit on that. the bilsteins, psssht GONE! my hope is to have fun, not get dominated and hopefully get into a class/sport that is fun where i can be competitive. the evo is way more fun to drive them my e36m3 ever was, and I spent a whole bunch of time behind the wheel of that car!.

Originally Posted by JDavenport
Bottom line, there are just certain makes/models that hit very sweet spots in the NASA classing system. Nate has shown that with LOTS of testing, trial and error, the combination of points and driver can be used to field a competitive TTA Evo IX. But the class was almost made for C5Z Vette's who have to do a great deal less work than us (mod wise) to run at the front in TTA.

I have friends that run AP1 S2K's in TTC and they are starting to clean up at NASA events. The combination of where the car starts and how it responds to certain mod points yields a potent TTC setup.

I'm just going to go straight to TTS myself and have already entered my first TT event as such. I won't be competitive for a while, but TTS let's you level the field a little easier (albeit at a higher cost) against the C5Z's and things like race prepped e36's.

But Nate has shown that an Evo IX can run at the front in TTB and TTA. His posts and his racing blog are a wealth of information on the subject.

And I also agree, the MR gets hosed on points.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

How many points does ACD reflashing cost in TT?
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
The way I read it, it falls under number 5:

5) Changed or modified limited slip differential (or welded/locked OEM LSD) +1

So with this one rule you could do the ACD flash and 12 plate as I understand it.

However they may be forcing us to take the +3, see what boom says. I'd design based on the +3 for now. Also i'd wait on the 2012 rules to see what changes come about.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll be running TTS, I could not find a way to make the MR work for anything lower, even before I started modding it heavily. TTS is more expensive, but I think its a much fairer field assuming you can keep under the power/weight numbers. NASA does seem to really favor Corvettes though, which is annoying. Every NASA weekend has a billion of the stupid things.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Balrok
The way I read it, it falls under number 5:

5) Changed or modified limited slip differential (or welded/locked OEM LSD) +1

So with this one rule you could do the ACD flash and 12 plate as I understand it.

However they may be forcing us to take the +3, see what boom says. I'd design based on the +3 for now. Also i'd wait on the 2012 rules to see what changes come about.
Ah - I thought those points were more in terms of the mechanical nature of differentials - ie swapping for a different or modifying/changing the mechanical lock up, not the electronic control of them? ie STI comes with variable lock up center differential
Old Nov 29, 2011, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

I think you could reflash the ACD for free personally. You can reflash the ECU for free after all.

I'm not one to look for gray areas; but I don't see how they could check for it. Then again, there's really no way to verify an upgraded (aka TRE or Shep) rear diff other than taking it apart - but I'm taking the 1pt for modifying mine. My .02

Bottom line; +1 max imo.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

I was having the same concerns when I was considering running my IX MR. It would have been classified in TTS because of all the mods. They do not allow you to "get back" points for removing factory equipment. Sorry. It only works the other way (i.e. turning a GT mustang into a GT500 Mustang with factory parts will just re-class you to a GT500)*

In the end, I just decided to buy an 03 Evo for track use. I plan to run in TTC and advance as my skills improve.

Onto the issue of the rear diff, it is only +1 point. I am putting this on my car because it plows like a fat cow in the current configuration. Seems like it is the best mod for almost no points.

*Note: I do not know if this is possible, just an example.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
I think you could reflash the ACD for free personally. You can reflash the ECU for free after all.

I'm not one to look for gray areas; but I don't see how they could check for it. Then again, there's really no way to verify an upgraded (aka TRE or Shep) rear diff other than taking it apart - but I'm taking the 1pt for modifying mine. My .02

Bottom line; +1 max imo.
You should check out http://www.acd-tuning.com/ and go for it - they guarantee 1-2 second improvement per 60 second on the track.. compliments the rear diff

the tuners who have been working with it are legit, there's a lot to be gained over the stock map

Quick Reply: Evo IX NASA TT classing?