Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Evo IX NASA TT classing?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2011, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
All of the above. That's the brilliant part of racing. Every single owner, tuner, driver, vendor, official and significant other has a different take on solving problems. Tis how we evolve in this sport. Even professional teammates have the problems where one likes the car and finds time this way, and the other that way. Each of the guys on here I guarantee would get a different time in the same car. So you can't take what someone on the Internet says LITERALLY. You consider it as a solution to a particular problem you may be having, and see for yourself. We'll all be at the same track weekend one day I hope
Old Dec 3, 2011, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveK
My suspicion is the guys finding huge time in their cars are finding it in cars that drive pretty damn good, but may not have been as meticulously optimized.
Dave
Thats certainly another factor. My car might possibly be a little more optimized to suit my preferences compared to Balroks car. And no offense to him as a driver, but another factor is that i may be a little more advanced as a driver. Im in my 3rd year of racing while Matt just started. Not that its a universal way to compare, but i remember what sort of driver i was when i first started racing. Im doing things now i would have never tried 3yrs ago. And thats something you will only really acquire the more you race.

Originally Posted by kyoo
on the rear diff. I had Jon@TRE reshim my Cusco and add the HD sideplate, I think he's really a genius when it comes to the drivetrain.

Anyway, I'm definitely with you here, and did understand exactly where you were going in your posts. Especially for guys like you with the experience and preparation who have tried dozens and dozens of suspensions and setups to eek out tenths, something so simple is nearly impossible to believe (though anyone would want to, badly, and be looking for proof it), or almost even insulting, I would think.

One comment in regard to what the ACD flash offers - I would say that it's not necessarily more rotation, but effectively more rear torque that is put down to the ground. Especially for a car with a rear diff mod, that effective torque is then channeled through the rear diff to the outside wheel - creating more "push" forward from the outside rear. For some cars/setups the end result may be more rotation.

My idea is this, and this also addresses what DaveK was saying about various ways of adding more rotation: While you can, with your car as it is, set it up to oversteer or understeer however you please with sway bars and other suspension adjustments, the difference between rotation caused by this mod and rotation from suspension setup is that rotation from this mod is the only one that is essentially caused by more power going to the back end. So, unlike rotation from suspension setup, with a modification that increases power to the rear you can then take steps add back grip to the rear - theoretically if you add back grip to reach that same level of desired rotation, then what you should have is a car that performs at a higher level. I could be wrong in this theory, so please tell me if I am.

Also, more effective torque going to the rear end is roughly equivalent to more speed. Obviously this doesn't occur in straights but in corners, where there is a delta between the front and the rear. So, theoretically, let's say in every corner exit you get a boost of power to the rear end (more like a boost of power efficiency/less drivetrain loss). This should result in a higher corner speed, and importantly a higher speed down the stretch of the straight. While the benefits are undoubtedly huge for cars that run on surfaces where the tires break loose often, I am suggesting that there is still a tangible and significant (by whatever metric of time your competitive level defines that as) gain from this modifcation
If this mod does allow me to adjust how my car behaves without having to make certain tire pressure/rebound/compression adjustments, it is possible that i might see gains in excess of .5sec. I took that into account and thats why i said up to slightly more than .5sec. If thats the case, that would be absolutely great. Either way i want to stress again, because i didnt really mention it before, if this mod is capable of doing what im thinking, it will be a great tool for me. Heres a basic example. With a few adjustments i can loosen up my car in the low-mid speed corners, but that might cause my car to be a little too aggressive in the higher speed transitions. If i were competing in TT or TA it woulddnt matter to me because youre really only looking for that 1 fast lap. Everything totally changes when youre racing because the goal is to win at the end of that 35min race, or however long it is. And chances are that my car isnt going to handle the same way at the beginning, middle, or end of the race. And sometimes, those adjustments may only benefit me at certain points in the race while being challenging during other parts. This mod might help me minimize how much my cars handling characteristics change throughout a race. This is pure speculation though, and i wont really know without some serious testing.

Originally Posted by kyoo
One last thing I'd like to clarify is my motivation for pushing this mod (and many others I've done in the past) - basically, I've already got mine; what I'm looking for and hoping for is to raise the level of competitiveness of the CT9A chassis. I have been bragging to all my friends of Nate's success this past year, breaking all sorts of records (including those set by a certain Evo X...) The threads in my sig are ones that I started in order to raise that level of competitiveness. ie., I was and am a big pusher of the rear differential mods, by the rear diff mods thread that I started nearly 2 years ago. ACD tuning is the latest area of improvement for the CT9A that I'm looking to improve. Actually I wanted to start the ACD "revolution" (note acd flashing thread start date) around that time as well, but neither the market nor the population was ready. Hopefully things will be different now, especially with the options available (notably Matt's ACD-Tuning)
Ive followed Nates progress and he certainly has put in the time. And he clearly is a capable driver. This in no way takes away what Nate has accomplished, but you have to remember that the TT rules changed significantly in 2009. And there was one rule change that helped the Evo 9 specifically in TTA. That is part of the reason why our Evo 9s can now be competitive in TTA. Although, that doesnt mean all Evo9s will be competitive now in TTA because the other part is that you need a capable driver whos determined and is willing to explore different setup configurations to see how far he can push things. And Nate is that capable driver who was not only determined, but he also explored different setup configurations. I know in my heart that our Evo9s have the capacity to be even more successful, and im really anxious to see how things progress.

Originally Posted by Balrok
All of the above. That's the brilliant part of racing. Every single owner, tuner, driver, vendor, official and significant other has a different take on solving problems. Tis how we evolve in this sport. Even professional teammates have the problems where one likes the car and finds time this way, and the other that way. Each of the guys on here I guarantee would get a different time in the same car. So you can't take what someone on the Internet says LITERALLY. You consider it as a solution to a particular problem you may be having, and see for yourself. We'll all be at the same track weekend one day I hope
Florida is a tiny bit far for me, so first things first youll need to move to Cali.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Bueller
Florida is a tiny bit far for me, so first things first youll need to move to Cali.
LoL, you sponsoring that move?
Old Dec 5, 2011, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you Ed, you know what I'm referring to
Old Jan 31, 2012, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any ECU mod is legal in SCCA T2 as long as the mod is retained within the stock ECU case. For you roadracers let me know how this mod works for you and Id be willing to test it out as well. In T2 .5 could be the difference between 1st and 5th in Quals at the Runoffs.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi All,

This thread has been very helpful, which is why I digging it out of the grave a bit, but I was wondering if anyone had been able to get a 100% positive answer as to if the ACD re-flash costs any points for NASA TT?

Also has anyone done the "rear diff fix" (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...y-factory.html) where some claim per the service manual that the rear diff was assembled incorrectly from the factory, and if so does it cost any TT points? I would think it would be at most +1 for modify stock diff, but I can afford 0 here on my current build plan and this sounds like it would be well worth it for a track-only car.

Thanks!