Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Don't cut @ Targa(Evo X roll)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2011, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice shots Robevo, but I don't think he was intentionally cutting, just the road was crumbling away farther into the pavement as he rounded the turn.

I'm trying to find out how their ASC was set when this happened. Seems that if it was fully on or half on it should have potentially saved the car in that situation, although letting off the gas and counter steering could have made it nearly impossible to recover. When a car is spinning it's not the initial loss of traction that is so dangerous, it's all about how your steering wheel is angled when it finally does regain traction. Have it aimed the wrong way and your screwed. :/

I also think getting on the throttle and staying with it until the car settles down may have faired better, but hindsight is 20/20 as they say.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 06:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you look close....leading up to the corner where he cuts you can see a little crest,a little dip then another little crest at the corner he goes off on.I think he went light at the first crest,maybe lifted and turned a bit while light.....weight transfer at the bottom of the dip pushed him towards the edge of the road leading to the cut......then too much steering equals the spin.

Don't forget,in that car he could have easily been in the 180-200KM/h range on that corner.

At 125 miles per hour stepping into the gravel(from the tarmac)is more than enough to toss a car into the trees.Especially if there was a big drop from the edge of the pavement to the gravel......often 5/6 inches.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
when you cut the car is basically rely on the out side wheels , those gives you a most grip, inside tires does much less grip or hooks on the dip (ditch hooking, very effective help in the turn)

The ditch hook is nothing more then actually a cut combined with dip the inside wheels in the dip and help the car to turn better + hooking = ditch hooking. /kinda like a train rail/

i stand my point , this was a clear driver error and has nothing to do with the cut technique.
The car felt loose for him and he over reacted. (scared)

in my country they actually place tires in the corners to prevent the racers to do ditch hook or cut, since those techniques makes the car reach much higher average speed on the stage (no good for the organizers), and has nothing to do with being dangerous at the corner. Fact makes the car much more stable since makes the tun smoother or with a ditch you can even hook it on the apex.
But take a look how many times they do cut when is possible, to make up times and get more room for a turn + possible hook on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyIuz...eature=related

Last edited by Robevo RS; Oct 31, 2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
i stand my point , this was a clear driver error and has nothing to do with the cut technique. The car felt loose for him and he over reacted. (scared)

has nothing to do with being dangerous at the corner. Fact makes the car much more stable since makes the tun smoother or with a ditch you can even hook it on the apex.
I agree,but I think he over reacted when he went light on the little crest before the "cut corner".

In the 10 year history of this event we have had quite a few gravel rally drivers,including some of the current pro ones such as ACP,Pat Richard who know how to cut.....and NO one ditch hooks here.Only a select few corner cut.We call this place "The Rock" for a reason.

In your video above,they have nice,soft,grass and topsoil level or almost level with the tarmac.....no problem to cut or even ditch hook.....especially if you've pre-run and wrote pace notes.

We drive 2200km's of rally over 6 days "blind",with only organizers "turn by turn" notes.Our ditches are deep and the sides are often lined with rocks the size of an engine block!

You try ditch hook here and you'll be DNF on day one.

Even corner cutting is a huge risk because of the speed combined with the drop between the edge of the pavement and the gravel upsets the car soooo much.

Our roads are not smooth like in your video.

When you come up here and see the stages in person Rob you'll understand.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by targa ten
I agree,but I think he over reacted when he went light on the little crest before the "cut corner".

In the 10 year history of this event we have had quite a few gravel rally drivers,including some of the current pro ones such as ACP,Pat Richard who know how to cut.....and NO one ditch hooks here.Only a select few corner cut.We call this place "The Rock" for a reason.

In your video above,they have nice,soft,grass and topsoil level or almost level with the tarmac.....no problem to cut or even ditch hook.....especially if you've pre-run and wrote pace notes.

We drive 2200km's of rally over 6 days "blind",with only organizers "turn by turn" notes.Our ditches are deep and the sides are often lined with rocks the size of an engine block!

You try ditch hook here and you'll be DNF on day one.

Even corner cutting is a huge risk because of the speed combined with the drop between the edge of the pavement and the gravel upsets the car soooo much.

Our roads are not smooth like in your video.

When you come up here and see the stages in person Rob you'll understand.
Paul, its my dream.
I have been tried several times to go up there to run it. The problem is simply the money vs value.
If i do go there that is means it will suck dry my limited budget . So the rest of the year i would be sit home and a same time my car would been left as it is too.
At least a last two years even when i wasn't running my car got some upgrades. With the TNF that would be impossible.

BUT, as soon as i have a slight chance to run it, i will!
My estimation for my team , i need probably $20-25K to clear the event, and that is just waaaay to much for us right now.

cheers Rob

(ps: not for arguing , but i still stand at my opinion, the same time if i do go up there i will listen to you , since you are local. LOL)

Last edited by Robevo RS; Nov 1, 2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

same time if i do go up there i will listen to you , since you are local. LOL)
Probably not a good idea,I've been in the ditch once,caught fire at speed once.......

She is a very expensive event,I've been very fortunate.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 07:40 AM

Rare turns where you can cut on the Nurburgring northloop

Old Nov 4, 2011, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ I don't think in road race its a good idea the cutting. Cutting as I see is specially rally or off road technic. Other hand the trully precision driving if for circuit race. Since in rally not one turn is a same EVER. So from ther if you do a turn 100% you WILL crash for sure in the first stage. Example a multi world champion Raikonnen. Now his getting better since he start doing turns "conservatively"
Old Nov 5, 2011, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

couple of nice cutting here including high speed cut , ditch hook, etc ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWVrBLSMz9I

Last edited by Robevo RS; Nov 5, 2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

Those Ford's look and sound SOOO cool.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ I don't think in road race its a good idea the cutting. Cutting as I see is specially rally or off road technic.
Cutting in road race is still useful but for partially a different reason. Main goal is to make the track distance shorter and/or make a straighter line allowing for more speed though it. You would not do it on every corner but there is usually 1 or 2 corners per track where you'd want to do it. An example off the top off my head:

Thunderbolt (NJMP) last turn onto the straight. If you aren't cutting there with at least 50% of the car over the curb....