Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Evolution Dynamics Pikes Peak Build

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2012, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why did Probst not run?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Looking down on the corner.

The 13,000' party starting early in the morning at Devils Playground.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by SamsonEvoX
Gotta challenge a couple of things here. First of all, F1 cars have gone to higher and higher noses, not for safety, but to improve the aerodynamics of the air back to the rear wing. Hence, the ridiculous noses on the cars this year. The FIA mandated a change in design so that the nose would not spear the driver.

And, the NHRA has shortened the course to 1000 ft. for Top Fuel and Funny Car I believe. The speeds were getting ridiculous.
I was referring specifically to F1 with the raised bodywork

Old Senna McLaren:

Modern McLaren:

Re: drag racing, a death was a driving reason for shortening the courses:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHRA_Fu..._Racing_Series

"On July 2, 2008, following the death of Funny Car driver Scott Kalitta, the NHRA announced that race distances for Top Fuel and Funny Car classes would temporarily be reduced to 1,000 ft from the usual 1/4 mile (1320 ft).[2] The measure was intended to be temporary while safety solutions were explored; however, the races have remained at 1000 feet since Kalitta's death, with no indication by NHRA officials of any intent of returning to the full quarter-mile format any time soon."

Indycar/CART started to think about slowing down the cars when they were hitting 250mph+ at Michigan. Man, remember Alex Zanardi's crash in Germany?

Anyways... it will be interesting to see how Pikes Peak adapts.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
well this is the article hill climb and rally needs.. LOL Its like not enough drag around them

Paul car

Dave is oke

Last edited by Robevo RS; Aug 14, 2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apex electric
Looking down on the corner.

that is a great road .

Last edited by Robevo RS; Aug 14, 2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by jerdeitzel
http://jalopnik.com/5934725/how-pikes-peak-became-the-most-dangerous-place-ive-ever-raced
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
well this is the article hill climb and rally needs...

Originally Posted by Grant Hughes
More people have died in the running race than in the driving race. FYI
This year was scary. It went nearly how everyone I talked to expected it to go. It went how we have been talking about it becoming since I first became involved nearly ten years ago. The only thing that everyone predicted that didn't happen thankfully, was that no one died this year.

They need to majorly change classes to restrict power levels in certain classes, novices to the mountain need to be limited in what they can drive. Someone who has only done autocross and/or track days should not be allowed to enter like at least two competitors, Jeremy Foley who's big wreck is well known, and Cody Loveland, who wrecked twice during practice.

Jeremy Foley was lucky. That cage is NASA road racing legal but anyone who has actually looked at pictures of the cage are amazed that they survived. The cage builder is an arrogant *** and when advised of simple additions to the cage by experienced people blew them off with comments like, "I am an engineer" and that they were focused on keeping weight minimal as the primary goal.

I'm just glad no one died and Dave Kern did so amazing! Next year if you want to build an 1000 hp Unlimited car, instead of grabbing your local autocross hotshoe, just recruit the Kerns to win the race for you.
From: "How Pikes Peak Became The Most Dangerous Place I've Ever Raced"

WOW!

Last edited by J. Fast; Aug 14, 2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
Also it is wierd they didnt requierd any arm restarints or window net. As i am guessing. We had to have a arm restraints at Mt Washington to compere hill climb to hill climb.
PP Rules say:

If you run doors with windows, arm restraints and window nets arem't needed.

If you run window nets, glass and arm restraints aren't needed.

If you run arm restraints, glass and window nets aren't needed.

Our local CHCA series does require arm restraints even if you're running windows up, and I think now I can understand why. If the door gets ripped off, you're left on your own to try and pull your arms back in. One of the still shots from ML@S showed Yuri's arm fully extended outside the shell of the car. Luckly he was able to pull that back inside before the next hit!

I'd bet that PP will likley adopt a rule requiring arm restraints or window nets regardless of what's going on with the door/glass. FWIW, I ran with arm restraints and windows down, but after seeing the crash here, I'm thinking I'll run with windows in the future as well.

Dave
Old Aug 15, 2012, 03:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaveK
PP Rules say:

If you run doors with windows, arm restraints and window nets arem't needed.

If you run window nets, glass and arm restraints aren't needed.

If you run arm restraints, glass and window nets aren't needed.

Our local CHCA series does require arm restraints even if you're running windows up, and I think now I can understand why. If the door gets ripped off, you're left on your own to try and pull your arms back in. One of the still shots from ML@S showed Yuri's arm fully extended outside the shell of the car. Luckly he was able to pull that back inside before the next hit!

I'd bet that PP will likley adopt a rule requiring arm restraints or window nets regardless of what's going on with the door/glass. FWIW, I ran with arm restraints and windows down, but after seeing the crash here, I'm thinking I'll run with windows in the future as well.

Dave
The most scray part of this accident, how much is actually left from the car during the roll. Because of that, how much the racers were exposed during the accident. (hence why rally doesnt let modify the passenger and driver door etc on the car, another example why would you like to follow rally rules on hillclimbs)
So the results of that , you can see how much the codriver hangs out from the bare shell during the rolls. Speciallhy if you slow it down or watch it frame by frame. That was nothing but a guardian angel who saved him.
Biggest luck in this case he never got his head hit by a rock or the car never actually landed on his head etc.
I dont know how his seat was mounted, but that also can be an issue for a future . Also i love to have these seats vs a normal racing seat designs. I think its not a bad idea to considerit in the future too + the arm restraints, and window up.

ps for dave :
did you see this save latelly (of course Hungarian guys ) mutliple chance to crash none happenned.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIOqr...ayer_embedded#!

Last edited by Robevo RS; Aug 15, 2012 at 03:46 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 06:28 AM

Clarks Metal and Speed welded frame that did not pass tech inspection

Old Aug 15, 2012, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

So the cage failed tech inspection and was fixed by another shop before they ran , really?

Last edited by jerdeitzel; Aug 15, 2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by spdracerut
I was referring specifically to F1 with the raised bodywork

Old Senna McLaren:

Modern McLaren:

Re: drag racing, a death was a driving reason for shortening the courses:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHRA_Fu..._Racing_Series

"On July 2, 2008, following the death of Funny Car driver Scott Kalitta, the NHRA announced that race distances for Top Fuel and Funny Car classes would temporarily be reduced to 1,000 ft from the usual 1/4 mile (1320 ft).[2] The measure was intended to be temporary while safety solutions were explored; however, the races have remained at 1000 feet since Kalitta's death, with no indication by NHRA officials of any intent of returning to the full quarter-mile format any time soon."

Indycar/CART started to think about slowing down the cars when they were hitting 250mph+ at Michigan. Man, remember Alex Zanardi's crash in Germany?

Anyways... it will be interesting to see how Pikes Peak adapts.
your analysis is wrong on the F1 car. the body work isn't taller, the drivers are laying down farther. and thats to lower CG, not for safety.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jerdeitzel
So the cage failed tech inspection and was fixed by another shop before they ran , really?

that is correct. we had holes in the welds of the added gussets along the roof line they wanted filled, which we did.

there were about half the cars in the field that also didn't pass tech inspection the first time as well. INCLUDING brianne corns SCCA certfied rally cage, which had passed tech the year before with the same cage, the factory mitsubishi teams i-miev car, and a bunch of others all with spots needing fixed.

our primary cage (the original NASA spec cage) was all fully tig welded around every tube as we lowered the cage through the floor to get the top edges when we built it. when we had to add the gussets at the halo corners when deciding to do pikes peak, the cage was already burned in thus the top edge of those tubes welding wasnt pretty and had holes that needed filling. with the roof off you can see the patch job the shop did, did the job of filling the holes, but certainly offered 0 additional strength as it wasn't burned into the tube fully. even with holes in our welds on the top, i promise our gussets were stronger then rhys millens which were made of 1" OD tubes
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for explaining. You don't have to tell me how bad tech can be sometimes.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MOREPSiTEHBETT4
Carmi

Edit: wow bueller, u have no sense...
When you seek the truth, comments like this are expected.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinD
your analysis is wrong on the F1 car. the body work isn't taller, the drivers are laying down farther. and thats to lower CG, not for safety.
http://www.atlasf1.com/news/safety.html

1994:
Cockpit area side load test increased (from 2000daN to 3000daN).

1995:
Survival cell side impact test introduced.

1998:
Higher cockpit sides.
75mm side headrests compulsory.

Perhaps I should have said bodywork height relaitve to the driver. I've been watching racing since I was 5 and just about every form (I miss old school monster truck and stadium truck racing, haven't seen a hydroplane race in forever either). I'm pretty well aware of the safety improvements made to the vehicles over the last 25 years.

Quick Reply: Evolution Dynamics Pikes Peak Build