Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

JDM antilag systems

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2012, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those videos are extreme cars running anti-lag, bad examples of what it does and how it works unfortunately. Milder versions like the factory ones don't effect idle popping like that. The cams cause the crazy idle on the audi below.

Between shifts and WOT this audi isn't as extreme as the new rally cars.

http://becauseracecar.org/2012/01/20...d-bulgaria/#en

Last edited by GTisRule; Mar 3, 2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTisRule
Those videos are extreme cars running anti-lag, bad examples of what it does and how it works unfortunately. Milder versions like the factory ones don't effect idle popping like that.

And that Audi is bloody awesome anyhow!
Old Mar 3, 2012, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Those videos are extreme cars running anti-lag, bad examples of what it does and how it works unfortunately. Milder versions like the factory ones don't effect idle popping like that. The cams cause the crazy idle on the audi below.

the idle changes when you switch on the ALS since the true ALS makes well over 10 - 14 psi at idles. Mine does make 14 psi at idle. Also the rpm jumps close to 2krpm for the ALS on idle. So yes the true properly tuned als does changes the idle.

Also there is no such a thing as a factory ALS. They do put the ALS hardware on the car , but doesnt come with a kicker and so. Neither with a tune for it. There for the hardware just sits there without any use.

Also the ALS level deppends on the tune. You can call it mild and strong, if you wish. Since many times you have 3 positions., One for gravel etc slippery surface (mild) and the second is for tarmac or hard surface (strong) the third one is the off. The switch commonly positioned on the steering wheel.

i have only two position yet , since i do not do gravel yet , and the tuner didnt had a time to finish the second ALS map and the launch control. So whe he comes back i finally will have a fully tuned rally car

as i said the UK site you can dig around for ALS hardware. Or talk to RKTmotors. Look them up on Google. Or pm me what you need exactly and i will talk to them

Last edited by Robevo RS; Mar 3, 2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

And that Audi is bloody awesome anyhow!
grupe B cars didnt had an ALS system that came later, when they started using the restrictor plates. The pre ALS years brought in the rally the LFB technique. I think Walter Rohl was famous about that technique in the Grupe B audi. Since the ALS came around you dont really need the lfb to keep the turbo spooling

I dont know you know this but the first ALS systems set ups, came around the 80's on the F1 cars
Old Mar 3, 2012, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The ALS imitation for the evos I think is just aftermarket cams and misfire launch control, much like the gizzmo launch interface. Just retarding the timing at certain load dumps fuel into the exhaust and causes the car to backfire and shoot flames.

A note about my XML; the CT9W rom is barely defined and has only a handful of useable tables so it's definitions are sceptical at best.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
grupe B cars didnt had an ALS system that came later, when they started using the restrictor plates. The pre ALS years brought in the rally the LFB technique. I think Walter Rohl was famous about that technique in the Grupe B audi. Since the ALS came around you dont really need the lfb to keep the turbo spooling

I dont know you know this but the first ALS systems set ups, came around the 80's on the F1 cars
Yeah, I know they've been around for a long time, but there's quite a few different versions I've seen thru the past few years. In my brain extreme versions produce full boost pressure, and the factory setup from what I understand produce like 14 psi when tuned right. I don't know all the details, I just buy parts and drive the hell out of it. If it doesn't work that'll be a waste of money I spose.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I know they've been around for a long time, but there's quite a few different versions I've seen thru the past few years. In my brain extreme versions produce full boost pressure, and the factory setup from what I understand produce like 14 psi when tuned right. I don't know all the details, I just buy parts and drive the hell out of it. If it doesn't work that'll be a waste of money I spose.
from 2002 there is newer version (more expensive to achive ) which is more friendly with the components and quieter. Called EGR system. Basically a same as just as effective as the ALS.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Mar 3, 2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
A lot of stuff is buried is this old thread here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...sembly-42.html

As its gone on though, it definitely seems if you are very serious about anti-lag it may be better to go with a full standalone system like what the rally cars use.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old Mar 4, 2012, 04:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=573324
Old Mar 5, 2012, 03:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
My link should cover most questions and concerns. At this point i have a complete sas system. Search for andrews ix rs and you will see jb exhibiting the factory sas as als.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
Also there is no such a thing as a factory ALS. They do put the ALS hardware on the car , but doesnt come with a kicker and so. Neither with a tune for it. There for the hardware just sits there without any use.
So much bad info in this thread!!! It seems that 2012 was full of MisInformation haha

If theres no such thing as a "Factory ALS" the wtf do all JDM Evo 4-9 have?
They dont use a throttle bypass/throttle kick system, they use a SAS system which is far superior to the little throttle kick way.

There are 2 types of ALS systems that have been developed and fine tuned over the years.

-The simpler of the 2 systems is most commonly referred to as a "Throttle Kick" ALS or as some call it "Throttle Bypass Anti Lag kit."
-The second type of system is a "Secondary Air Injection System" (AKA SAS). This type of ALS introduces air from the compressor side of the turbo into the exhaust manifold pre turbine wheel. The SAS ALS system offers some huge advantages when compared to the “throttle kick ALS” however SAS also requires extra hardware and an advanced EMS to properly tune the ALS.

Using a “throttle kick ALS” keeps things simple and does not require all of the extra hardware associated with SAS anti lag. The down side is you must pass all air and fuel through the engine in order to get the air/fuel mixture into the turbo manifold for combustion. This adds extra stress to a few engine components in particular the exhaust valves. When properly tuned the “throttle kick/bypass anti lag” is incredibly effective AND reliable.

The Secondary Air Injection anti lag system or SAS has proven to be one of the most effective and efficient anti lag systems, and is widely used throughout motorsports. While this system works great it does require specific hardware, ie: Valves, Control Solenoids, Boost/Vacuum Can, Lines, Fittings and a proper Engine management system to control everything. One of the largest benefits to the SAS anti lag systems is the fact that the air used to create combustion in the exhaust manifold completely bypasses the engine which means much less stress on the exhaust valves.

i know this is a bump from the dead, but i had to do it when i read this crap... :Face Palm:
The following users liked this post:
PotatoFlake (Mar 25, 2023)