Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Accusump/oil accumulators Lets discuss.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2012, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Accusump/oil accumulators Lets discuss.

I am just curious as to how many of you guys are running them? If you are running them what brand/size etc are you running. Is everyone tapping the oil feed line into the oil housing?

I currently run a AMS oil pan on the car but I am always looking to add a little more insurance and protection to the motor.

I searched on the forum and the only good thread I came up with was:

Jid2's
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-accusump.html

and

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/au...ator-evo8.html
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing myself.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine has been fine - although hard to measure the effectiveness. AMS had some datalogs of with and without back in the day, and it helped, but didn't solve the problems.

Oil filter housing is the place, and the thread in BNP not NPT. Use a manual valve to get the flow rate you need - the electronic one can't support the flowrate. I had mine in the trunk to start, but now it's in the passenger footwell inside the cab.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Jid2 you don't have a check valve installed correct (I heard one is not needed on a Evo)?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Question - let's say you make a big long right hand sweeper and your oil pressure falls. Once it gets past a certain point the Accusump pushes more oil into the sytem to keep the pressure up, but won't you now have an extra quart or two of oil in your pan? Isn't it bad for to run THAT much more oil? Wouldn't that cause it's own set of problems when the Accusump dumps?

Thanks for any info anyone can share.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The extra oil is better than not enough oil, plus as soon as the oil settles its back in the accusump in a mater of seconds. Plus the preoiling is great to have.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
Question - let's say you make a big long right hand sweeper and your oil pressure falls. Once it gets past a certain point the Accusump pushes more oil into the sytem to keep the pressure up, but won't you now have an extra quart or two of oil in your pan? Isn't it bad for to run THAT much more oil? Wouldn't that cause it's own set of problems when the Accusump dumps?

Thanks for any info anyone can share.
Not on my Evo, but I have a 2 quart Acusump on my Prepared TR6 autocross car. As you know, oil is stored in the cylinder under oil pump pressure. After oil is injected into the engine when the pickup is exposed, the oil pump will again refill the cylinder when the pickup is re-submerged. So, the extra oil goes back into the Acusump to be used again and the oil pan level goes back to normal.

You can also use it to pre-oil the engine/turbo before cold starts. This is done by closing the valve before turning off the engine, storing the contained oil under pressure. Before starting, open the valve to release the stored oil into the engine/turbo. Its especially great for cars not often started to help extend bearing life.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
my friend has a morroso acusump with electronic switch in his evo x. been running it for 2 years without issues. after watching some in car video and seeing how the oil pressure drop during long right hander in my car, i want to get one now. i think it's better security than a baffle oil pan. i was actually talking to him about it at the track today.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

The Accusump is just a reservoir at slight pressure.

Understanding how you fill it helps you know how it works:

- Install the thing without check valves, and a single line feeding into the high pressure side of the oil filter housing.

- Put 10 psi of air pressure on the pressure side of the sumps piston.

- Have an engine with a full pan of oil, and start the car with the accusump valve closed.

- Open the valve for a few seconds, watch the pressure gauge on the sump go up - then close it.

- Go add more oil to you engine.

- Repeat a few times until the pressure is stable on the sump even while revving the engine and building higher oil pressure. The sump is now full.

Now, anytime your engine has less oil pressure than MAX, the sump is going to add some oil to the pan. This means that once the car is warm it will dump oil at idle. And if you open the sump with the engine off it will empty the whole sump into the pan.

So the standard track protocol is to just open the valve at track out, and run the session with it open and then before you turn the car off once back in the paddock you rev the engine to build pressure, and then close the valve with the engine revved holding high pressure and keeping the sump full.
The following users liked this post:
hokiruu (Jun 22, 2019)
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

^ all that makes sense, but i'm seen the electric valve that opens when pressure drops below 40 psi and refill when pressure is above 80 psi. looking at the oil pressure gauge in my car fluctuating during right hand turns, the gauge doesn't drop bellow 40 psi, so the electronic valve wouldn't open then. does that sound right?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 05:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by honda-guy
^ all that makes sense, but i'm seen the electric valve that opens when pressure drops below 40 psi and refill when pressure is above 80 psi. looking at the oil pressure gauge in my car fluctuating during right hand turns, the gauge doesn't drop bellow 40 psi, so the electronic valve wouldn't open then. does that sound right?
An electric valve is just for convience and works the same way a manual valve functions. The valve does not sense pressure. It is either open or closed and stays that way until you manually turn it or electrically turn it. The whole system is very simple. The internal piston moves inside the sump directly related to the oil pump pressure. So, if the oil pump is pumping 80 PSI, the sump sees 80 PSI; if the oil pump is pumping 40 psi, the sump sees 40 psi and in both cases is storing oil. As soon as the oil pressure goes down, the oil in the sump is injected. In other words, the oil pump pressure is holding back the oil in the sump. When pressure goes away, stored oil goes in the engine.

BTW, the injected oil goes into the engine oil passages first to save bearing, not directly into the oil pan.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

im familiar of how the accusump work. i have well water at home and the pressure tank work in similar way.

i'm not talking about a simple on/off electronic valve, i was taking about an automatic electronic valve, that open and close base on oil pressure. my friend has on in his car but i don't when exactly it opens and close.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTR-24-273/
These Canton Racing Accusump electric pressure control valve kits are available for discharge/refill in different psi ranges to suit your needs. These valves have the convenience of an electric valve for remote-mounted units and the rapid refill rate of a manual valve as required in racing. The electric pressure control valving will only allow the Accusump to discharge oil when the engine's oil pressure drops below a predetermined level, and only refills when the pressure rises above that level. Each kit comes with a regulator, electric valve, wire, toggle switch, pipe nipple, terminals, and instructions.

Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

^^ Oh I see. I thought you were referring to the electric valves for remote open/close. Thanks for clarifying. I have not used one of those. Seems like an unnecessary complexity in an otherwise critical and simple system. I wonder what benefit it would be to hold pressure until a particular psi loss and how fast it would activate. You really want immediate injection when the oil pump stops pumping.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

The problem with those electronic valves is the flow rate. The internal flow path is massively different than a manual ball valve. When I first installed my Accusump I used the electronic valve. But after some tests I could see that it could not supply oil at nearly the same rate as a manual valve.

So I went with more hassle and better performance. I also talked to the guys with race cars at the track, and they all use the manual valve.
The following users liked this post:
hokiruu (Jun 22, 2019)
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jid2
The problem with those electronic valves is the flow rate. The internal flow path is massively different than a manual ball valve. When I first installed my Accusump I used the electronic valve. But after some tests I could see that it could not supply oil at nearly the same rate as a manual valve.

So I went with more hassle and better performance. I also talked to the guys with race cars at the track, and they all use the manual valve.
Same here.

Quick Reply: Accusump/oil accumulators Lets discuss.