Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Accusump/oil accumulators Lets discuss.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2017, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 269 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by ayoustin
I don't think you really need to "box" the pickup in at the top if you make the wall/trap doors around it tall enough. That was something I was thinking about for my pan as well. I'm probably just going to retain that stock upper plate.

How were you planning on engaging that external pump? Hooked up to a steering position sensor or something?
I made a G sensor that I can trigger at acceleration level of my choice...

Wall around the pickup is as tall as it can get... any taller and crank would hit it..
Old Dec 6, 2017, 08:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 573 Likes on 431 Posts
The challenging thing is I don't think you can correlate a certain amount of oil drainback to a lateral acceleration.

I would be worried about the pump pulling in air and pushing that into the sump and aerating the oil.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

oil drainback is in direct corelation to lateral acceleration...

as for aeration of oil... that is a valid concern, yes... (that can be only solved by a dry sump with large reservoar.. unfortunately..)
Old Dec 6, 2017, 09:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Issues with dry sump is, for a street car, AC has to go. The belt slipping isn't really problem. Years of being around race cars, I've only seen a belt come off due to a rock getting in the engine bay on a short course off road truck. And the rock only got in because someone forgot to put a panel on. Other than that, dry sumps run cog belts. Replace the belt at appropriate intervals and they're generally problem free.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by kikiturbo
oil drainback is in direct corelation to lateral acceleration...

as for aeration of oil... that is a valid concern, yes... (that can be only solved by a dry sump with large reservoar.. unfortunately..)
curious - what's the mechanics of the drainback wrt to lateral g's?

slicers also help with aeration
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Ever been in the amusement park ride where your in a drum that spins, then the floor drops out, but you drop with the floor, you stay stuck to the wall? Same concept with oil drain back. Gforce makes it stick to the sides of the block/head/whatever instead of falling back to the pan.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Ever been in the amusement park ride where your in a drum that spins, then the floor drops out, but you drop with the floor, you stay stuck to the wall? Same concept with oil drain back. Gforce makes it stick to the sides of the block/head/whatever instead of falling back to the pan.
oh ok - no, but i assumed he was saying there was a positive correlation, i dont know why. obviously that makes sense. at least the kiggly hla will help not flood the head, but once it's there it's there until it drains back. there's not a lot of "neutral" g situations on a track though... when would it ever efficiently drain back, lateral g or otherwise
Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
curious - what's the mechanics of the drainback wrt to lateral g's?

slicers also help with aeration
running an engine at 1 G lateral acceleration is identical to running it at 45 deg angle.. in this case, fly being lower than crank pulley if you get what I mean... It is pretty clear where the oil will go.. Even the oil in the head will drain down but it will still fall to the wrong side of the engine..

If you take into account the ammount of oil the pump will flow at track speed RPM, you will see that "keeping the oil around the pickup with baffles" is just a part of the solution..

one more thing I am doing is venting the block with a hole in the crankcase. This way I can cut off the two vent ports that are cast in the head which will open up two more drains from the head...