Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Those of you whose struts don't have brake brackets - how do you have your lines?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2012, 08:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Those of you whose struts don't have brake brackets - how do you have your lines?

When I started building my STU car, I got a good deal on a set of freshly rebuilt Moton Clubsports so I jumped on it. They do not have brake line brackets, though, or at least mine don't. So the brake line was attached to the strut with a series of zip ties - two around the strut, a loop off of that for space, and a loop off of that to corral the line. There was also another tie closer to the caliper to tie the brake line to the other line there (wheel speed sensor I assume).

I'll take pictures tomorrow but I'm wondering how other people have routed/attached their lines when they have struts that don't have brackets. I've been running the zip ties for well clear of a year, probably 12k street miles plus probably 30 autocrosses and everything was fine until this Friday when something caused the hose to move into the path of the wheel, where a wheel weight that was on the very inside of the wheel must have clipped it because afterwards it was pretty gashed. It sucked, but we got it sorted and I am just glad it happened on a closed course.

I removed all those inner wheel weights, and I shouldn't have even bothered to get them balanced in the first place (I don't use them on the street very much), so obviously that's one preventive measure, but I'm also curious what other folks with similar needs have done.

Thanks
John
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I answered this in the STU build thread.. before I saw that you made a separate topic.

I use Zip Ties! I also use luck. Oh - and the lines are braided - so I figure that buys me some time if they do start to rub.
And I (try to remember to) check the lines when I swap wheels.

Great point on the wheel weights! I never bothered balancing my autox wheels.. but the shop I use now balances for 'free.' I wonder if taping the weights on would help. It would make the edge less abrupt if contact occurs. Until the tape breaks.

I should be able to take a pic for you this coming weekend if you want to see how I routed the line.

-'chono'
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Zip ties.

And balance static only with stick-on weights on the inner barrel and use silver ducting (not duct tape -- the silver alum. tape) to cover the stuck-on weights. Couple will not be an issue.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some balancers give you the option to balance them with mounting the weights in the middle of the wheel. It might take more weight to balance, but you could essentially have a balanced tire without worrying about the weights on the inner edge.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Its going to call for more weight. You're changing the distance from the balancer mounting flange and diameter you'll be setting the weight at. As you decrease the diameter, more weight is require to have the same effect.