Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

SCCA Rules - Restrictor

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SCCA Rules - Restrictor

So I just spent about an hour on the phone with the SCCA about where my car lives in the world of classing. Quick rundown of my setup;

Stock 2.0L with GSC S1's (Power numbers in my signature)
1050cc injectors - tuned on E85
8 point welded cage, seat, harness, etc. most of interior missing I do have a radio and A/C still though!)
non-DOT competition slicks, coilovers, rear swaybar
Car is approximately 3,200 Lbs with driver

Can't think of anything else that should matter;

So with the competition slicks, it sounds like F-Prepared. Dunno what that even means at this point, however,

If I run a 38mm restrictor and DOT slicks I can run STU.

Where do you source restrictors from? I've been looking around (evom) and google, and I can find a ton of info about them, but not where to buy one.

Does this sound right to you SCCA guys? STU with our hillclimb group is mainly N/A Subi's, Miatas, etc. Not a very fast run group, it kind of suprised me an Evo fits here. Bible Creek this year I caught a STU Miata right at the finish line that had nearly a 45 second head start. (We both made it thru WOT, but if the road was 1/4 mile longer...)
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm assuming this is for Road racing?

I didn't think our cars fit in FP? (they do for auto-x but i don't remember them for RR) I do kno Marty Grand was planning on running STU this season so the car does fit there. If you make a bunch more power you could play in STO. But, that would be pretty stupid with how fast some of those cars are. If its just regional competition, i'd just run ITE or what they call their IT unlimited class around there.

As far as restrictors. You can get them from http://www.allwheelsdriven.net/ (somewhat close to you) If they don't have it they can make one for you. (not cheap tho).

Last edited by jerdeitzel; Sep 26, 2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.raetech.com/Restrictors/GT_Components.php
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Some groups require that the restrictor be bolted or pressed in. Your best bet is to get a new compressor cover and have that one made for a restictor and just swap them out when needed.

Those restrictors above would sure be a PIA to get a stock intake to attach, from the looks of them.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

If you end up needing a restrictor on a budget talk to Doug Davenport, he knows the guy that machines the go/no-go restrictor gauges for Rally-America and he said it's around $150 - $200 to get a restrictor machined and fitted to the cold side from him.

http://www.davenportracingusa.com/
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome links! Thanks! It is for a road race car, yes.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
RKTmotors can make you one good restrictor plate, and good luck with a restricted tune in the states...
Make sure you DO look around before you get a tuner for yourself with a new set up with restrictor.
To be a big name in forums etc is NOT enough, make sure you know the racing back ground of the cars he tuned.
Street cars (doesnt matter the hp level) and drag car refference does not apply anymore, when you enter the restricted turbo world. Keep that in mind.

Rob

The best restriction plates you can get from UK , called Owen performance.
http://www.owendevelopments.co.uk/index.asp

Last edited by Robevo RS; Sep 26, 2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:16 PM

IIRC, most of the hill climb groups go by auto-x classes and not road race classes. STU in auto-x is a bit more open then STU in road racing. Assuming your car is 3200, yeah, you would need a 38mm restrictor.

F-Prod in road racing does not allow Forced Induction.

There's also ITE, where most of the Subaru STi's and Evo's typically run (if they run SCCA):
http://www.oregonscca.com/media-libr...es/2012ite.pdf