Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Low seat rail?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2012, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Low seat rail?

I'm currently running a Buddy Club seat rail and it's just not low enough. I've done some searching and came across a few threads.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...eat-rails.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...t-seats-2.html

Is a custom seat base going to be the best route? What are you guys running?

I figured it would be okay to make a new (current) thread since those are from '06 and '08.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Another thread mentioned the Binary Engineering rails that seem to make it very low. Lowering is 1.5 inches according to their website:

http://www.binaryeng.com/products%20...0brackets.html

How much lower is the buddy club rail vs stock?
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Raptord
Another thread mentioned the Binary Engineering rails that seem to make it very low. Lowering is 1.5 inches according to their website:

http://www.binaryeng.com/products%20...0brackets.html

How much lower is the buddy club rail vs stock?
Those are listed for OEM Recaro seats only.

Compared to my brothers stock Evo IX MR SE seats, it's definitely lower, but still needs to go down some. I feel like I'm still looking down (towards the front bumper), instead of out to the distance.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:05 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you looked into the PLANTED seat brackets, and separate rails?

http://www.jscspeed.com/catalog/Plan...Brackets_26863
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the planted seat brackets are nice. I have used them in costumers car and they are reall nice. We used to offset the seat more towards the middle of the car as well.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chu
Have you looked into the PLANTED seat brackets, and separate rails?

http://www.jscspeed.com/catalog/Plan...Brackets_26863
Haven't seen these!

Would I use the 90 degree, or offset side mounts?

http://www.jscspeed.com/catalog/Univ..._Hardware.html

Originally Posted by Interlagos boy
the planted seat brackets are nice. I have used them in costumers car and they are reall nice. We used to offset the seat more towards the middle of the car as well.
I'm short, so I need the seat to be pretty close to the pedals. Will this move the seat back more?
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by FilthyEvo
Haven't seen these!

Would I use the 90 degree, or offset side mounts?

http://www.jscspeed.com/catalog/Univ..._Hardware.html

I'm short, so I need the seat to be pretty close to the pedals. Will this move the seat back more?
Im not sure to be honest, We had a costumer who was really short and somehow made it fit in a cayman. But probably some fabrications will be needed. Also seat, steering wheel, and seat mounts need to be comfortable for you. It takes time. But its good in price and its worth to give it a try. And the way I look at it since its offseted you still have more room from the cage, and helps a little with the balance of the car as well.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 06:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
What seats, and do you need sliders?

I have the Bride FG's. I think they are designed to allow a lot of low while still maintaining slide-ability. But they only allow it on certain seats. It's in my build thread, but the short version is, you can get them very low if your seat doesn't interfere with it - but if your seat overhangs the side mounts, like the front of a Sparco Evo, it might be an issue if you want the seats to still slide.

I looked at the Planted stuff but I think since you need to combine the base with additional brackets it would be a lot harder to get it to sit low. If you can't make the Brides work I would get a race shop to fab you up something.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Another reference link for you (RE: final solution involved custom brackets):
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...nightmare.html
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
What seats, and do you need sliders?

I have the Bride FG's. I think they are designed to allow a lot of low while still maintaining slide-ability. But they only allow it on certain seats. It's in my build thread, but the short version is, you can get them very low if your seat doesn't interfere with it - but if your seat overhangs the side mounts, like the front of a Sparco Evo, it might be an issue if you want the seats to still slide.

I looked at the Planted stuff but I think since you need to combine the base with additional brackets it would be a lot harder to get it to sit low. If you can't make the Brides work I would get a race shop to fab you up something.
I don't need sliders, but I am short (5'6-5'7) so I need to be close to the wheel. Right now I'm rocking a Sparco, but I will most likely be going with a nice Racetech or Recaro for the drivers seat.

Hm, I'll check out your thread and I'll look into the Bride FG's.

Thanks man!

Originally Posted by xtnct
Another reference link for you (RE: final solution involved custom brackets):
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...nightmare.html

Thanks for the link. Hm, I guess fabbing some up wouldn't be a bad idea.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

Buddy club low down rails are really not low enough for you even at your 5"7 height??

I am using these same rails on status buckets and they sit very low for me and im 5"11.

Maybe its your seat?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I bought a Sparco base and side mounts, felt like i was sitting in a high chair (Evo 2L seat). Ended up taking the whole setup to a local shop, we hacked up the Sparco bases and refabbed them to get the seat hieght down to an acceptable level.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by Interlagos boy
does this mean you used the bracket to move the seat further back into the car? so it goes back farther/doesn't come forward as much? I wonder if the same can be done with the binary logic

nvm, i read that it restricts the furthest forward positions.

doesn't anyone else like to sit totally upright, high up, and put their foot all the way down to the floor of the clutch like me? lol

Last edited by kyoo; Jan 16, 2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Subscribing to this thread..
I am getting side mount seats and want the seat as low as possible with sliders. This is an autocross car with two drivers - so fixing the seat to the bracket isn't an option.. I need sliders.
Sounds like my best options are buddy club and bride 'all-in-one' bracket, sliders, and side mounts.

Any other options?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by chono
Subscribing to this thread..
I am getting side mount seats and want the seat as low as possible with sliders. This is an autocross car with two drivers - so fixing the seat to the bracket isn't an option.. I need sliders.
Sounds like my best options are buddy club and bride 'all-in-one' bracket, sliders, and side mounts.

Any other options?
hey Sean, yeah we use the buddyclub all-in-ones with our Sparco EVO seats. They go plenty low enough so I'm not sure what others /\ are complaining about but it must be seat specific...(course, your co-driver is a LOT bigger than mine, lol)

that said, they SUCK, I had them replace the driver's side (after one season of autocross) and now the passenger side needs to be replaced. The rail/slider combo simply wears out/stretches and the whole assembly becomes very sloppy/loose. Also, since the two rails are independant, it's pretty tough getting them aligned and sliding properly, they either bind up, or won't lock in place.. and the part that attaches to the seat is in 4 pieces (one per corner), so 6 parts that all need to align perfectly... bring a big bag of patience with you.

still looking for a low, slideable solution that won't wear out in a couple of years (with seat belt provisions)....

Quick Reply: Low seat rail?