Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

setting rebound in relation to swaybar stiffness?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2013, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
setting rebound in relation to swaybar stiffness?

so i recently fitted a set of "gerard spec" ohlins and updated my alignment, and im trying to figure out how i should approach the rebound settings. per the setup sheet, using STOCK sway bars the rebound should be set to 8 clicks down from full stiff on the front 6 on the rear.

I run whiteline front and rear sway bars which provide:
front 2mm bigger than stock = 38% stiffer
rear 2mm-4mm bigger than stock = 42-95% stiffer

since i was previously on bilsteins/springs, the rear bar is on the middle hole which gives 67% stiffer than stock. unfortunately the endlink bots are seized and i cant put it down to the softest setting until i cut them out and replace them.

my concern is that im going to have a tail happy car at the track, which i do not want, so as a result im looking to set it up with a neutral-ish to understeer cushion.

current alignment is -2.8 camber/0 toe front and -1.5 camber/1/16th total rear toe in.

my thought is that i will definitely want to soften up the rear rebound, but my guess is that it will not be a simple 1 to 1 relationship of rebound to sway bar (decrease rebound by amount of bar stiffness increase)

lets discuss.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd keep the bars and simply soften up the rear a bit more. What are your front and rear spring rates?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
I'd keep the bars and simply soften up the rear a bit more. What are your front and rear spring rates?
duh, thought i included all the important info and managed to leave out the biggest part. springs are the good ol 8k/10k setup. i should also add that as of right now all bushings are stock also, but maybe that wont be noticeable yet at my skill level.

im hoping to have to avoid experimenting too much, since i would think you could get to the point where you could literally go 1 click to far and ruin the balance of the rear. it is definitely quite interesting how HUGE of a difference there is with the car set at the recomended settings vs. full soft
Old Apr 7, 2013, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have Ohlins R/T now and had a set of DFVs before....

I don't have a front bar ... only a rear and I actually prefer the stiffer bar in the rear even with the coil overs. I don't feel it upsets the car or limits rear grip at all. I suppose it will depend on your camber, weight reduction, tire type and the pavement you are running on but I can tell you that many very fast EVOs are running an upgraded rear bar.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

yeah i know they are running upgraded rear bars, but the question is the stiffness. i had been told (i cant recall by who, may have been in a discussion with andrew at GTworx) that i would want to go down to the softest setting with 8k/10k and higher. i have not found many people using anything but the softest setting (42% stiffer than stock) with coilovers.

on my bilsteins/gtworx setup with the rear bar in the middle the car was great, i did quickly expose the soft spring rates as an issue tho, as well as not having enough camber up front. i frequent lime rock which is a short, tight track so roll resistance is definitely important.