Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Global Time Attack RD 1 & 2 --- Shift S3ctor March 1st/2nd

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2014, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Global Time Attack RD 1 & 2 --- Shift S3ctor March 1st/2nd

We RD Engineering made it out to Buttonwillow during these terrible racing conditions. RD Engineerings’ GTR (Turbo by Garrett) driven by Roy Naveraz competed in the Limited AWD class in both GTA round #1 & #2. While also competing in the Targa Trophy TT event. When we arrived at the track; the suspension, brakes and tires were still utilizing the dialed in settings for the dry conditions held on the previous weekend @ Redline Time Attack. Those track conditions permitted him to put all 950whp+ to the ground on his new “squared” tire setup with 315’s front and rear. He initially made an unofficial best lap time on a fresh set of tires, which was 1:53 minute lap time.

The competition on March 1st had a small turn out, because of the poor racing conditions in the rain. However, the men from the boys were separated that day, and all the real racers showed up on time, windows down (regulations on the track) ready to race! Roy’s initial first track outing was a slow run on the track (2:26 min), to primarily develop a baseline for the suspension, and made the necessary adjustments from there on out to accommodate the terrible racing conditions. Once dialing in the suspension, by manipulating tire pressure, changing dampener/rebound settings on the JRZ C/O’s and playing with different settings on the Whiteline sway bars we found a happy medium that allowed Roy to push harder run after run. After shaving off seconds every run, his best run by the end of the day was a 2:06.90 min lap time. Earning him a 1st place in the GTA round #1 limited AWD class. One of the largest issues we faced was putting all the power to the ground and staying in control, so we had traction control on all day and after reviewing the data logs, they showed Roy barely hitting 50% TPS, essentially only allowing him to use half his power. For the Targa Trophy event being held the same day, Roy was also able to bring home a 2nd place in the TT1 class. His best Targa Trophy lap time was 2:09 minutes.

March 2nd was GTA round #2 and the rain ceased over night, leaving damp racing conditions. Also there was quite a bit of mud being flung onto the track, which didn’t help. But, overall the day was warm and dry, so consistent lap times were being held finally. Now running the day’s prior “pouring rain” track condition suspension settings, more adjustments were made in the morning, to optimize the performance/ traction of the GTR in these new “damp” racing conditions. We turned the traction control off for the whole day and we were able to put the all the power down on the ground with way faster corner entry speeds than the previous day. He started off the day with a 2:05, faster than his fastest “wet” lamp from the prior day. By the end of the day the RD Engineering teams’ GTR was able to place 2nd overall in the limited AWD class with an excellent lap time of 1:56.4.

Ronnie, the owner of RD Engineering brought out his own Mitsubishi Evolution X GSR sporting his RDE500r performance package, with some K&W variant 3 coilovers, and Whiteline suspension bits everywhere (bushings/ball joints/sway bar(s)etc..). Ronnie’s and te main intentions were to provide support for our shop GTR driven by Roy, but he ran his Evo X simultaneously throughout the day in the Shift S3ctor event to get some lap times in on the new RDE500r package, while data logging and gaining feedback on his vehicle while on the track. Ronnie’s goal for the day in the “damp” conditions was to get a 2:15 or lower lap time, and he was able to pull a 2:11.98 lap time off by the end of the day. Overall, RD Engineering had a successful weekend, and we experience no mechanical failures, so we were undeniably pleased. Next time, with stickier tires, an RD spec big brake kit, a fuel surge tank, AND we are hoping to get the RDE500r Evo X in the 1:55-1:58 min lap time range!

Attached are pictures of friends we made throughout the day. Saw and spoke to a lot of great people out there. To name a few Mike Warr was out there with the GST Motorsports Subie, but was never able to run in, but still looked amazing to see in person with all the new livery! We also ran into Robert from Robi spec and had a great talk with him and his crew. Overall, it was a fantastic weekend, with plenty of carnage and crashed cars from the unfavorable weather conditions, but fast lap times were STILL being put down.

Enjoy.

Attached Thumbnails Global Time Attack RD 1 & 2 --- Shift S3ctor March 1st/2nd-rd-engineering-gotzzla.jpg   Global Time Attack RD 1 & 2 --- Shift S3ctor March 1st/2nd-gta-rd-1.jpeg   Global Time Attack RD 1 & 2 --- Shift S3ctor March 1st/2nd-gta-rd-2.jpeg   Global Time Attack RD 1 & 2 --- Shift S3ctor March 1st/2nd-gta-rd-2-2.jpeg   Global Time Attack RD 1 & 2 --- Shift S3ctor March 1st/2nd-gta-rde-500-r-scenic-shot.jpeg  

Last edited by BEKevo; Mar 7, 2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

More pictures of the RDE team cars/ driver Roy and some friends met while at GTA and Shift S3ctor.

Here's a link to Ronnie's Evo X with the RDE500r package and dyno sheet with mod list.

Link for RDE500r page on EvoM
Attached Thumbnails Global Time Attack RD 1 & 2 --- Shift S3ctor March 1st/2nd-gta-rde-500r-track-time.jpeg   Global Time Attack RD 1 & 2 --- Shift S3ctor March 1st/2nd-gta-rde500r.jpeg   Global Time Attack RD 1 & 2 --- Shift S3ctor March 1st/2nd-gta-win.jpeg   Global Time Attack RD 1 & 2 --- Shift S3ctor March 1st/2nd-robi-gta-rd2.jpeg   Global Time Attack RD 1 & 2 --- Shift S3ctor March 1st/2nd-z.-cheuog-gta.jpeg  

Last edited by BEKevo; Mar 7, 2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well done out there. It was tough battling you guys.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Zhong! Whats up bud? It was real nice meeting you out there out in person and you did great out there! You threw down some great lap times. Even with loosing coolant throughout all your runs lol unfortunately. Your car was chugging it between the laps. Not even considering the "not so great" track conditions either.

Did you ever able to determine what was the issue or culprit of the coolant loss? Were you still thinking of bringing down your Evo to the shop at RRE ? They were curious if you were going to stop by.

Or did you give Buschur a call and ask his opinion? Since he built it.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks!!

The head cracked at the ports. The short block was fine. 2 weeks and I will be up and running. Just waiting on a turbo from ATP. My CBRD BBK-B turbo is damaged, not from the head, but from lots of shaftplay enough to touch the housing. Not sure what caused it, so it was sent to CBRD for diagnosis/repairs. My sponsor is taking care of me. Very reasonable price.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Zhong
Going to GTX3076R? Garrett.
Fftec made 530whp on it at 30psi.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Zhong i competed in the last Extreme speed event yesterday in met civic, where were you? It was a good day, great track conditions and weather.

But that sucks about the cracked ports. I have heard some many great things about the CBRD BBK-B turbo, seem to be extremely reliable/ durable. I wonder what they end up saying. Also what turbo you going with from ATP?

And when are you going to let men put some brakes on that bad boy! Its time to step it up, the brembos aren't cutting it. PM me for some deals. I got some 6 piston calipers I would love to put on your Evo, with either the stock diameter rotor or a true 13" or 14" (if you want 18" wheels). And you won't have to replace your cracked dust boots twice a month

RD Engineering is working/engineering the kit as we speak.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

BEKevo, my car is down remember. 2 weeks away from it being done. Not gonna be anywhere without my car. lol.

PM me some details. I am **** poor now as you can imagine. Federal Taxes also taking up my monies too.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by alpinaturbo
Zhong
Going to GTX3076R? Garrett.
Fftec made 530whp on it at 30psi.
wow really? Must be on full kill mod. I am thinking run about 24-25psi at most. Which car is this? What is the setup?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Stock Location.

I'll send info directly.

I am looking at it myself, because Garrett never fails, and has large housing for low-backpressure, all the things you want for track car. It may lag a bit more than stock-frame up to 3500rpm, but once past that they are amazing turbos.

We both need to get more info from MikeB...or Sean. They know these babies inside and out.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Here is my video, if you guys haven't already seen it.