Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Made some offset +caster/ camber plates for Ohlin DFVs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2014, 09:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Made some offset +caster/ camber plates for Ohlin DFVs

When I switched from the ASTs to Ohlins (for only the sake of trying them, jury is still out on which I think is better) I lost the + caster offset of the Vorschlag top hats. Those moved the pivot back 10mm for some amount of extra caster. The biggest benefit for me was fitting the wheel in the wheel well.

With the PSRS bushing the wheel is moved forward quite a bit and without the offset hat I now had rubbing issues in the front on a seam from the fender. I needed to make something quick, here's what I did.

Made some offset +caster/ camber plates for Ohlin DFVs-95oxkit.jpg

Just waterjet from 1/4" 6061 plate. I had to of course drill/tap the 3 holes and hit it with a sanding block just to scuff it but they turned out pretty good.

These offset 15mm. I modeled the shock full shock and knew I'd have a little interference with the monoball housing cause its quite a bit bigger than needed. A little angle grinder took quick care of that though.

Made some offset +caster/ camber plates for Ohlin DFVs-vbebukc.jpg

And with the offset being so far, 2 bolts on one side of the camber adjustment just don't fit, so moved one to the other side.

Made some offset +caster/ camber plates for Ohlin DFVs-hfshjbk.jpg

Here's how it all fits in the car.

Made some offset +caster/ camber plates for Ohlin DFVs-2aydzri.jpg

In total they cost me about $30 a set + my time. I needed them quick for clearance so I didnt bother making caster adjustable, but once I get my CNC together I might make a two-piece plate to get that adjustability.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Nice man. Is it my imagination or did ohlins change their plates though as I swear I just saw some offset plates on the ohlins in another thread. Maybe an update at some point as I assume you are on used ohlins?

Have you done an alignment yet? Curious how much they changed caster and how much negative camber you can get.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 09:53 AM
EvoM Guru

I should have a touch more negative camber available with these than the originals so should be able to get a little over 4 deg. Not sure on exactly what I'll end up for caster as I do my own alignments and haven't come up with a good way to measure that yet.

I need to change the hex screws that were on my original hats to SHCS and then I can move back to 2 screws on each side though not sure that matters much. Also gotta get a shorter M10 stainless BHSCS to replace these which is just what I could find at the local hardware store.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 09:58 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
I really dig functional DIY.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm not all that convinced that adjustable caster is much use.

If you are putting a 25"+ tire on the car, the wheel needs to be centered up pretty well or it runs into things anyway. An offset plate like you've done that matches the offset PSRS is about ideal IMO. The dual adjustable ones that rely on the 3 strut tower bolts to lock them together just mean you have to check the alignment of you disassemble anything.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 02:56 PM
EvoM Guru

That's a good point. I was thinking there would be a set screw separate of the 3 bolts for holding caster once disassembled but if these work out I doubt Ill bother with the extra weight of something not really necessary.

These things are pretty much dirt fricken simple. If someone wanted the .dwg (or what ever your local water jet guy likes) file to get their own made, I have no problems sharing.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice work there.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
nice work. i have the Stance caster plate.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 10:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
how much total caster with these?
Old Sep 25, 2015, 01:07 PM
EvoM Guru

No clue since I've never actually aligned the car at a shop. I do have another set of blank plates if you want to add them on when you pick up those springs.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 07:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
How different are these than Rick's plates?
Old Sep 27, 2015, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Not quite the same as these are just offset for more caster, vs being slotted for adjustable caster. I like the idea, as I just max out caster and never play with it anyway, so this is less moving parts.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 09:27 PM
EvoM Guru

No clue how similar these are to Ricks, I only had the Vorschlag plates to compare too. If I remember right, the setback was 10mm from centerline and these were 50% more. Just going off memory here but it seems right in my head.

I thought about making a caster adjustable set but figured it really wouldnt matter and running max caster would be what I'd go for anyways. So fixed caster, lighter, simpler won out.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Looks awesome and very functional.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
How different are these than Rick's plates?
Other than being adjustable, the CDR plates provide some more caster and negative camber range. Also the plates are a bit thicker to prevent tin- canning from hard impacts, or for rally use.

The caster adjustment is nice to have to keep the car from pulling to one side, to take into account road crown, tire clearance, etc. For instance, I used it coming back from the Wendover Prosolo on the silver state classic hwy. 2 lane, crowned dark road at high speed for 6hrs, and you could drive it without your hands on the wheel. On the trip up, the Evo's quick steering kept your attention to keep it on the road. That said, it's cool when people like Dallas can make their own parts for a specific purpose.

Rick

Quick Reply: Made some offset +caster/ camber plates for Ohlin DFVs