Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

OFFICIAL: Track videos thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:15 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
OFFICIAL: Track videos thread [MERGED]

Track video thread. Please post videos using the following format:

Track: (Track Name)
Lap time:
Car:
Mods: (Mod summary, power level, tires etc.)
Notes/Comments:

Video: Video URL/embed

Last edited by golgo13; Sep 2, 2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:11 AM
EvoM Community Team

Track: Buttonwillow CW #13
Lap time: 2:14.XX
Car: Evo IX
Mods: Street tires, 3" TBE, Tune & Bilstein/Swifts
Notes/Comments: Best recorded lap of the day.

Here is some feedback from a friend that used to run an evo in race events:
  • You need to pick up the throttle much earlier. The ACD in the Evo only works in your favor when you're on the throttle, so you need to get all of your braking done in a straight line and accelerate through the apex to the exit. There are a number of corners where you are waiting for the front tires to bite to get back on the throttle, but you're not using the differentials to your benefit by doing that. The way the maps work on the ACD, the car will basically behave like a FWD car until you add throttle, and then you get more and more lock in the center diff as you feed in the gas. Do it early enough in the corner and you should feel a nice 4-wheel drift on the exit of sunrise and sunset.
  • Don't be afraid to turn the car in hard and get on the gas. In the tighter corners (like cotton corners), you can turn in aggressively -- which will upset the car and make it change direction -- and then get on the gas to drive it through the apex. The way I would go through that section is an aggressive lift/steer/gas/lift/steer/gas. Don't be afraid to make the car move around a lot in the tight stuff. That's what it's designed to do.
  • On long sweepers (like the sweeper leading into the esses) you may want to try hugging the inside line and managing the throttle instead of a traditional late apex. Depending upon how your car is set-up and the tires you are on, that at times can be a lot faster in the Evo.
Anyone else have anything to add?

Last edited by golgo13; Sep 2, 2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
What suspension mods do you have and how much power as well? First time at Buttonwillow or no? I have some feedback for you but i'd like to get some info before I say anything

Last edited by L888Apex; Nov 6, 2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:20 AM
EvoM Community Team

Power - 291whp/300tq
Suspension - MR Bilstein/Swift Spec-R springs, Whiteline RCK
Tires - Dunlop Z1 Star Specs
Brakes - EBC Orangestuff (F/R), DBA 5000 Rotors(F), OEM Rotors(R), Stainless steel lines, ATE Super Blue fluid, Girodisc titanium shims

Stock aero, beatrush undertray

This is my fourth time at Buttonwillow and second time running this configuration.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn, I wish I had a track like that near me. So open, and so much run off.

NHMS is all walls.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:36 AM
EvoM Community Team

^

I don't have ***** big enough (or track insurance) to run my car at Infineon Raceway or any other track that doesn't have enough room to let me make mistakes as part of the learning curve.

See: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...ing-track.html

Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:06 PM
EvoM Guru

With your power and suspension you can still shave off a good chunk of time, I would say at least 7 seconds. You can be much more aggressive everywhere and definitely be more aggressive through cotton corners. After the apex of Riverside you should track out to hold more speed and then come right to enter sunset. There's plenty more, but you can go faster everywhere on that track.

Last edited by L888Apex; Nov 6, 2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:14 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Rode a lap w/you. Nice job

Be great to get you a bit further south & east at Fontana one day

Again, Nicely done!!!

Joe

EDIT: If you want to see some EVO lap times click the link. Scroll down to approx mid page

http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?op...topic=118629.0

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Nov 6, 2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Careful with the pitfalls on the Evo. Like bullet 2. Yes, you can claw your way though a turn with AWD helping out. I drive to smooth out transissions and carry momentum. Going too aggressive can overslow the car and upset the handling.

Agree on 1 and 3. Get on throttle before apex. Track out WOT.

Petpev of mine Two hands on the wheel unless shifting. On the short straights you have a tendency to hold the shifter. Wheel, shift, back to wheel.

Mind curbs. Some can be driven over or right on. Some will wreck suspension parts. That hump you hit looked like it upset the car a good amount. In the esses - how agressive are they? I'd be damn tempted to run a straight line there and bounce off Supercar v8 stly'n.

Use that throttle to steer the car. Wheel input should be relatively static for the long sweepers. You can adjust a hair in/out on the gas at that point to add or remove rotation.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Smike
Careful with the pitfalls on the Evo. Like bullet 2. Yes, you can claw your way though a turn with AWD helping out. I drive to smooth out transissions and carry momentum. Going too aggressive can overslow the car and upset the handling.

Agree on 1 and 3. Get on throttle before apex. Track out WOT.

Petpev of mine Two hands on the wheel unless shifting. On the short straights you have a tendency to hold the shifter. Wheel, shift, back to wheel.

Mind curbs. Some can be driven over or right on. Some will wreck suspension parts. That hump you hit looked like it upset the car a good amount. In the esses - how agressive are they? I'd be damn tempted to run a straight line there and bounce off Supercar v8 stly'n.

Use that throttle to steer the car. Wheel input should be relatively static for the long sweepers. You can adjust a hair in/out on the gas at that point to add or remove rotation.
At the "esses" you're only supposed to hit the first couple curbs after the sweeper and then avoid the the rest.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You live in Socal or Norcal? Who tunes your car, and on what dyno did it make that 291/300? 9 turbo?

Sounds like youre relatively new so youre doing a good job of driving within your comfort zone. Here are a few things you can work on. More gas pedal just about everywhere. You missed just about every apex. A few times you were driving with 1 hand way too long. And work on your heel-toe, it doesnt sound good. Now some general feedback turn by turn.

- Sunrise: You missed your apex, you were late on the gas, and you didnt track all the way out. When you carry more speed youll naturally slide all the way out.
- Buttonhook: Missed your apex and then too much 1 hand driving after.
- Cotton corners: Dont know if you were frazzled by the car that was off, but you turned in way too late and totally missed your first apex.
- Club corner to bus stop: More gas.
- Bus stop: You ruined it and lost lots of speed. You need to be on the gas before you apex and carry all that speed to Riverside.
- Riverside: Your line was pretty much perfect and you actually hit your apex.
- Phil hill: Missed your apex and need more gas.
- Sweeper: Its a double apex, so you totally missed the 1st one. Start out far left like you were but turn in much earlier as you trailbrake clipping the first apex. Track out far left then gradually turn in for the 2nd apex. And more gas while youre aiming for it.
- Short straight after esses: Too much 1 hand driving again.
- Sunset: You missed your apex a little, not enough gas after, and didnt track out all the way.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:00 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by Bueller
You live in Socal or Norcal? Who tunes your car, and on what dyno did it make that 291/300? 9 turbo?
I have no problem sharing this information, I'm just not sure how it's relevant?

Sounds like youre relatively new so youre doing a good job of driving within your comfort zone. Here are a few things you can work on. More gas pedal just about everywhere. You missed just about every apex. A few times you were driving with 1 hand way too long. And work on your heel-toe, it doesnt sound good.
Yeah, I'm quite new.

I've been running my evo for about two years total and I'm just starting to get the car to a point where I'm pushing it more than 7/10ths. I'll take another look at my line and the turn apexes to see how much I missed them.

I agree, I did do a lot of one handed driving. That will have to stop.

Now some general feedback turn by turn.
- Sunrise: You missed your apex, you were late on the gas, and you didnt track all the way out. When you carry more speed youll naturally slide all the way out.
- Buttonhook: Missed your apex and then too much 1 hand driving after.
- Cotton corners: Dont know if you were frazzled by the car that was off, but you turned in way too late and totally missed your first apex.
- Club corner to bus stop: More gas.
- Bus stop: You ruined it and lost lots of speed. You need to be on the gas before you apex and carry all that speed to Riverside.
- Riverside: Your line was pretty much perfect and you actually hit your apex.
- Phil hill: Missed your apex and need more gas.
- Sweeper: Its a double apex, so you totally missed the 1st one. Start out far left like you were but turn in much earlier as you trailbrake clipping the first apex. Track out far left then gradually turn in for the 2nd apex. And more gas while youre aiming for it.
- Short straight after esses: Too much 1 hand driving again.
- Sunset: You missed your apex a little, not enough gas after, and didnt track out all the way.
Good stuff here, thanks. I'll take another look at my video after reading this turn by turn breakdown.

Originally Posted by l888apex
At the "esses" you're only supposed to hit the first couple curbs after the sweeper and then avoid the the rest.
IIRC it's only a good idea to drive on the first rumble strip at speed, but not the rest as they'll unsettle the car?

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
EDIT: If you want to see some EVO lap times click the link. Scroll down to approx mid page

http://www.socalevo.net/index.php?op...topic=118629.0
Good to know how slow I am. Zhong is a good guy, he's given me a few pointers of the years.

Edited.

Last edited by golgo13; Nov 8, 2012 at 12:13 PM. Reason: I sound like a dick?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by golgo13
I have no problem sharing this information, I'm just not sure how it's relevant?

Perhaps, it might help determine what your car is capable of.

Last edited by golgo13; Nov 8, 2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by ITOzann
Perhaps, it might help determine what your car is capable of.
A 300whp evo can do pretty damn close to a 2:00 flat at buttonwillow but not with the factory bilsteins. Best i've seen with factory bilsteins is a 2:04-2:05 with 340-350whp though.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:43 AM
EvoM Community Team

Norcal, SF to be exact.

My car was tuned by Andy Chan @ Speed Element back when they were tuning cars. In fact, my car was the last car he tuned before he left Speed Element and went back to school.

Dyno Dynamics Dynamometer

Stock IX turbo
3" TBE
Drop in filter

Name:  2dde128e.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  363.4 KB

Last edited by golgo13; Nov 7, 2012 at 10:51 AM.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL: Track videos thread [MERGED]