Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Evo straight cut, synchrod 4th gear.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2015, 01:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOizmm
Ok, if you are interested in this straight cut 4th gear, contact Ronnie at RS Motors.

(952) 707-0100
ron@rsmotorsinc.com

He's taken on all the testing of this, purchased a bunch to get the price down and save on individual international shipping. He's been a big help with all this.

He has them in stock? Will there be anymore testing before we have commit to purchase this? 10 dyno pulls is great and all, but I'd really like to see track time on it..
Old Feb 6, 2015, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
He has them in stock? Will there be anymore testing before we have commit to purchase this? 10 dyno pulls is great and all, but I'd really like to see track time on it..
They are on order and should be here within a few weeks at the most.

The true test will be time. The next best test will be Brandon's Evo when we do One Lap. That wont be until the first week of May.

PAR claims these have been tested on 1000whp drag evos with not a single report of failure.

If you are still a little skeptical on this, just sit tight and hope your OEM holds together for a bit longer. The entire RS Motors fleet of cars will be running this for 2015.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
the real problem may not be the trans.

What clutch are you running?
comp sprung stage 2 (the new good one) and a exedy flywheel. its partially my fault...drove too much on the initial oil fill. but im also adding some stiffer mounts to see if anything changes.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
comp sprung stage 2 (the new good one) and a exedy flywheel. its partially my fault...drove too much on the initial oil fill. but im also adding some stiffer mounts to see if anything changes.
Switch to an Exedy twin.

I've first hand had 3 of their clutches fail on me. Not evo related but I ran one in my S2k that was very difficult to shift at high rpm, swapped it for a stock clutch and the same trans now shifts like butter.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Switch to an Exedy twin.

I've first hand had 3 of their clutches fail on me. Not evo related but I ran one in my S2k that was very difficult to shift at high rpm, swapped it for a stock clutch and the same trans now shifts like butter.
^ This, bought my Evo with a shot OEM clutch. Installed Comp stage 2, f-n nightmare. 1-2 shift at high RPM were lockout city. Adjusted till I was blue in the face, killed my trans. Tranny rebuild, full TRE treatment and installed South Bend DXD. Better, but still not great. Doing lots of track days at this point, more 7k RPM shifts than any street car. Start getting some bad shift synchro stuff. Grrrrr. Tranny refresh and bit the bullet, installed Carbonetics twin with push conversion. 2.5 years later, gobs of track days, no issues. Shifts so much better.

As an engineer, specifically one responsible for machinery uptime in a plant, the whole pull arrangement on any of the OEM style clutches offends me. The adjustable fork stops, aftermarket retainer clip/rings, are all just band aids on what is a crappy concept.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
i hate the oem pull style TOB with a passion.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
im 98% sure its not the clutch. the issue is shift speed related (at the lever) as opposed to rpm. i have NEVER been locked out of a gear, but 3rd will grind if you really try to bang a shift or at NJMP lightning which involves a 5th down to 3rd braking zone. i never manage to get as big a blip going 4th to 3rd as i do 5th to 4th (i need practice on two gear drop corners). the comp stage 2 was fully revised with the help of english racing shortly before i bought it.

it cleaned up some after the initial oil change on the new gearbox...but like i said i think i drove too long with all the break in contaminants in the oil.

on a more related note though, are you running oem syncros Andy? thought about the syncrotech pieces at all?
Old Feb 8, 2015, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
im 98% sure its not the clutch. the issue is shift speed related (at the lever) as opposed to rpm. i have NEVER been locked out of a gear, but 3rd will grind if you really try to bang a shift or at NJMP lightning which involves a 5th down to 3rd braking zone. i never manage to get as big a blip going 4th to 3rd as i do 5th to 4th (i need practice on two gear drop corners). the comp stage 2 was fully revised with the help of english racing shortly before i bought it.

it cleaned up some after the initial oil change on the new gearbox...but like i said i think i drove too long with all the break in contaminants in the oil.

on a more related note though, are you running oem syncros Andy? thought about the syncrotech pieces at all?
the faster the shift the harder the synchro's have to work. the bigger/heavier the clutch the even harder it as to work. And if the clutch is dragging, then you may as well say goodbye to your synchros and plan on buying a new gears.

I've running a 100% stock trans besides this straight cut 4th. I have had no issues with high speed shifting accept for the common 5ht gear grind. it took 3-4 seasons for that to develop. I am also running a pretty small clutch (QM V-drive 7.25in discs) which makes for some pretty fast shifts.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 06:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 223 Likes on 133 Posts
Very cool. Thanks for putting in the time and hard work on this to help fellow evo owners.

Side note. I drive a WRX with straight cut 1&2 gears and it is my daily driver. It is noticeable, but in a good way I'd say. Never really bothers me like a whiny tranfercase in my old evo use to.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't had any issues with 4th gear yet, but the amount I am on track compared to some of you is laughable. I did have a issue with 5 gear grind that developed after my first track outing with a fresh trans rebuild and a comp stage 2. How common is the fifth gear grind and what is a good fix?
Old Feb 9, 2015, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by XcreatonX
I haven't had any issues with 4th gear yet, but the amount I am on track compared to some of you is laughable. I did have a issue with 5 gear grind that developed after my first track outing with a fresh trans rebuild and a comp stage 2. How common is the fifth gear grind and what is a good fix?
very common. Don't shift from 4th to 5th like you're drag racing.

This longer 4th gear will help to decrease the workload of the 5th gear synchro along with a good/light clutch setup.

Depending how bad the grind is, I usually replace 5th gear, slider, and synchro all together. That will "fix" the 5th grind but it'll come back if you continue to bang 4-5th shifts.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Just an update-

Order is in process and we're about 3-4 weeks out. I've also been notified of a price increase after this order of 10. Pricing will remain the same for this first order but will probably go up after. They hinted 15%-ish increase. Another big factor in price is the AUS to USD exchange rate. its actually pretty low right now, but if that goes up, so does the USD price.

If anyone is interested in one of these, either contact me or Ronnie and we'll get you on a list. no down payment needed. You can pay once we receive the gear and ship it to you.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i emailed the contact email in the flyer. no response, think i sent it monday
Old Mar 23, 2015, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anymore testing done on the gear yet? I'm planning on pulling my trans and will most likely upgrade while its out.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

The shipment of gears should be here any day. We were hoping to have them in and get some more testing down in Texas this weekend but I don't think that will happen. We do plan on running it in OneLap in an 06 Evo.

This first shipment we'll only be getting 10 sets of gears. 5 are already spoken for.

Quick Reply: Evo straight cut, synchrod 4th gear.