Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Evo straight cut, synchrod 4th gear.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2015, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Evo straight cut, synchrod 4th gear.

UPDATE-
Originally Posted by EVOizmm
Ok, if you are interested in this straight cut 4th gear, contact Ronnie at RS Motors.

(952) 707-0100
ron@rsmotorsinc.com

He's taken on all the testing of this, purchased a bunch to get the price down and save on individual international shipping. He's been a big help with all this.

These seems like a common weak point for guys making a lot of torque. 4th gear has to be the most overworked gear for road racing. There has been attempts to create better cooling to 4th gear to help prolong the life of 4th, but we believe this should 100% cure the issue from happening.

Ron at RSMotors is currently going to test this with several back to back pulls in 4th on his dyno (Winter here so no on track testing for a few months).

This gear also changes the 4th gear ratio to 1.0 giving you a few extra mph's in 4th which will also reduce the wear on the 5th gear synchro and help decrease the large gap from 4th to 5th.

Evo 8- 1.031
Evo 9- 1.096

Assuming Ron's test passes, we want to organize a larger group buy to save on costs. Depending how many we get to commit, cost will be in the $700-750 range.

Last edited by EVOizmm; Feb 6, 2015 at 01:00 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Waiting for a vid clip of the sound... :}
Old Jan 16, 2015, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
ditto
Old Jan 16, 2015, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
In for results
Old Jan 16, 2015, 02:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
In for results.

If the 4th gear problem is simply heat, this may fix the problem. Especially since a spur gear is inherently weaker than a helical cut gear, so the metallurgy in the spur gear has to be far superior. Yes, I know that spur gear will make less heat. I still wouldn't jump on it until its last longer than the stock 4th under similar stress.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
In for results.

If the 4th gear problem is simply heat, this may fix the problem. Especially since a spur gear is inherently weaker than a helical cut gear, so the metallurgy in the spur gear has to be far superior. Yes, I know that spur gear will make less heat. I still wouldn't jump on it until its last longer than the stock 4th under similar stress.
Heat is always the enemy. however I've seen the 4th break on the first out lap. I think the 4th in general is weak, then add heat and its only a matter of time before it gives out. Also my trans had 5000 miles on it when 4th went. Ronnie's had only a few thousand was well.

Helical gears produce a lot of thrust load in opposite directions. Perhaps if enough shaft play, they can push each other away enough for bad things to happen. The straight cut gear would cure that problem and also reduce extra heat generated by the side load.

Regardless, this trans is heading to Minnesota this weekend where Ron plans to do some dyno testing with it.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that 4th looks BEASTLY this plus TRE cooling and syncrotech syncros for all other gears = WIN
Old Jan 17, 2015, 07:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by EVOizmm
Heat is always the enemy. however I've seen the 4th break on the first out lap. I think the 4th in general is weak, then add heat and its only a matter of time before it gives out. Also my trans had 5000 miles on it when 4th went. Ronnie's had only a few thousand was well.

Helical gears produce a lot of thrust load in opposite directions. Perhaps if enough shaft play, they can push each other away enough for bad things to happen. The straight cut gear would cure that problem and also reduce extra heat generated by the side load.

Regardless, this trans is heading to Minnesota this weekend where Ron plans to do some dyno testing with it.
The thrust they create is hard on bearings. The heat comes from the helical teeth sliding across each other. There is no doubt that the spur gear will help with heat. The issue I can see is that two gears that are identical in every way except spur vs helical, the helical is stronger. So the spur gear needs to be superior metallurgy, design, heat treat, etc. Which is why it needs to be tested, and it will be awesome if it works out.

How much power/torque are you guys making that fourth gear goes in such short time? Are you running taller final drives that put you in 4th gear a lot more of time on track?
Old Jan 19, 2015, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
The thrust they create is hard on bearings. The heat comes from the helical teeth sliding across each other. There is no doubt that the spur gear will help with heat. The issue I can see is that two gears that are identical in every way except spur vs helical, the helical is stronger. So the spur gear needs to be superior metallurgy, design, heat treat, etc. Which is why it needs to be tested, and it will be awesome if it works out.

How much power/torque are you guys making that fourth gear goes in such short time? Are you running taller final drives that put you in 4th gear a lot more of time on track?
100% stock trans/gearing. 2 of us were on stock evo9 turbos. Its the torque and how hard it comes on that will kill the 4th gear.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 04:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Add a third for stock trans and Evo 9 turbo. Torque kills.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
they make dogbox for rally ? If they do can i get a shorter and higher engaging 5th gear
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Jan 23, 2015, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
^ Dear Lord! I would rip my ears out! :}
Old Jan 23, 2015, 04:08 PM
EvoM Guru

^ Dear Lord! I would rip my ears out! :}

racecar parts make racecar noises...
Old Jan 31, 2015, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

well, 4th gear made it through our little stress test. several back to back 4th gear pulls. 430ft/lbs of TQ. 2k rpms to 7500rpms. No issues at all.

I'll post up more later with dyno graph to show you the torque curve. If any car eats 4th gear its this one.

Quick Reply: Evo straight cut, synchrod 4th gear.