Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Grip and oiling

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2015, 03:14 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Did you run without balance shafts too? We had 100+ psi with even moderately ported oil filter housing, kiggly hla, and no balance shafts. That's just pumping extra oil to the top of the motor draining things faster. We also ported all the oil drain ports in the head where there is commonly a bunch of extra casting flash blocking flow.

Now were more inline with 10psi per 1000rpms after more porting and using the softer spring.

I still haven't installed the Accusump, but its on my list of things to do. I think you lost oil pressure due to some combination not matching stock configuration cause most stock block guys are getting years of track/autoX without oil starvation destruction.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
Did you run without balance shafts too? We had 100+ psi with even moderately ported oil filter housing, kiggly hla, and no balance shafts. That's just pumping extra oil to the top of the motor draining things faster. We also ported all the oil drain ports in the head where there is commonly a bunch of extra casting flash blocking flow.

Now were more inline with 10psi per 1000rpms after more porting and using the softer spring.

I still haven't installed the Accusump, but its on my list of things to do. I think you lost oil pressure due to some combination not matching stock configuration cause most stock block guys are getting years of track/autoX without oil starvation destruction.
I still had the balance shafts and I hadn't done any porting. The only modification to oiling I had was an upgraded Setrab 25 row cooler. I know there was another guy on the forum that vented his block in the same fashion the same weekend on track, but it was a couple years ago, so I don't remember who. Mine let go in a fast right hand sweeper, where I was going about 60-62mph in 2nd.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 04:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
We put in about 5qts in a normal change. Its right around or slightly over the max mark IIRC.

My car takes 4.8 to make the max mark, I usually just put in 5..
Old Jun 24, 2015, 04:10 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by RJones
I still had the balance shafts and I hadn't done any porting. The only modification to oiling I had was an upgraded Setrab 25 row cooler. I know there was another guy on the forum that vented his block in the same fashion the same weekend on track, but it was a couple years ago, so I don't remember who. Mine let go in a fast right hand sweeper, where I was going about 60-62mph in 2nd.
I have a long, right-handed sweeper that I take at 90-95mph. No issues. That was with no oil mods.
It's about a 100° turn, so pretty long.
I've done approx 10-12 sessions on that course.
Not sure how many Gs I was pulling, though.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
we run 6 qts of oil and on hoosiers we spend approximately 50% of every autox run at ~35psi oil pressure. The rod bearings seem to be able to take the beating if you're not running too aggressive on timing/boost.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
i fill oil about 3/8" over the max mark on dipstick.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 08:16 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
For anyone interested:

I found a California supplier for oil pans. The closest comparison would be the RaceFab pans. They will have the same features with exception of moving the oil pick up, the international shipping, wait, and cost LOL. They are not vendors, so i won't post pricing, options, etc. Just letting everyone know. PM me if you are interested.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 07:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by griceiv
we run 6 qts of oil and on hoosiers we spend approximately 50% of every autox run at ~35psi oil pressure. The rod bearings seem to be able to take the beating if you're not running too aggressive on timing/boost.
Is this with a factory oil pan?
Old Jul 12, 2016, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd suggest an Accusump. A few TA EVO's are running a 3 quart accusump with an electric valve, and that's also what I have on my car. I'm running 305mm slicks w/ aero. Stock pan, and stock HLA.

Contact me if you'd like me to refer you my rep within Canton Racing.